Harm from high temperature of a socket
Jul 28, 2005 at 8:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Star65

New Head-Fier
I have inexpensive tube amp for headphones. At him the target socket for headphones up to 60-70C is heated up! Because of it I am afraid to connect to him a good cable for headphones.
It seems, that from such high temperature the cable faster will deteriorate, for example "will grow old" or faster socket will deteriorate. Also it seems, that from such high temperature the isolation of cables will spoil.
It so? Or my fears are vain? What you on it will say (theoretically and practically)?
Thanks!

Jul 28, 2005 at 4:23 PM Post #2 of 4
From what I understand you are saying, the actual headphone jack on the amplifier is very hot. Is the headphone cable hot before and after you insert it in the amp?

I personally wouldn't put my headphones near anything of that heat. I suggest you do the same. I think your problem is exactly what you stated - a cheap tube amp.

Jul 28, 2005 at 11:10 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman
From what I understand you are saying, the actual headphone jack on the amplifier is very hot. Is the headphone cable hot before and after you insert it in the amp?

No, the headphone cable becomes hot only after I insert it into a socket of the amp. And the longer he there is, the more he overheats. What temperature of a socket it is possible to consider admitted in similar cases? It seems 60-70С is poorly!?
I write through the electronic interpreter, therefore I ask to consider me indulgently. :). I never studied English, and now I already old for this purpose. Excuse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back