Hardware equalizer = advisable?
Jul 7, 2009 at 6:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

backtoreality15

100+ Head-Fier
I couldn't find a thread on this. But is using a decent external equalizer advised? Is it that much better than using a software equalizer? How much SQ is lost? I'd like to have control over the frequencies a little bit.

I've been looking into purchasing this one:
BEHRINGER: FBQ800

Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

Jul 7, 2009 at 7:38 AM Post #2 of 9
I'd stay away from the cheap hardware equalizers. Cheap equalizers (a.k.a. Behringer) can cause problems like smaller soundstage and headphones need all the soundstage help they can get. Cheap EQs will also add noise and distortions. I'd stick with software EQ.

I do use a hardware EQ for my M-Audio monitors. I have an ART HD-215 EQ. I got it only for its variable hi pass (low cut) filter. My M-Audio monitors don't like having too much bass signal in my setup. A little bit of hi pass filtering really helps them out. The EQ also has a bypass to route the signal with no EQ. I have never tried the ART EQ with my headphones and have no intention ever to do so. The ART EQ was a discontinued model when I bought it and was heavily discounted.

Jul 7, 2009 at 9:11 AM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ham Sandwich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd stay away from the cheap hardware equalizers. Cheap equalizers (a.k.a. Behringer) can cause problems like smaller soundstage and headphones need all the soundstage help they can get. Cheap EQs will also add noise and distortions. I'd stick with software EQ.

I do use a hardware EQ for my M-Audio monitors. I have an ART HD-215 EQ. I got it only for its variable hi pass (low cut) filter. My M-Audio monitors don't like having too much bass signal in my setup. A little bit of hi pass filtering really helps them out. The EQ also has a bypass to route the signal with no EQ. I have never tried the ART EQ with my headphones and have no intention ever to do so. The ART EQ was a discontinued model when I bought it and was heavily discounted.

What are some quality brands for EQs then? Nothing worth getting that's under $120?

Jul 7, 2009 at 9:58 PM Post #5 of 9
I know I'll get some flac (sic) for this but I say stay away from them. Digital eq's conveniently avoid adding an additional external components. The more components that exist down the chain from the DAC, the greater opportunity for coloring and changing the sound. Sure there are drawbacks with digital ones, but I see no reason for a hardware one. IMHO, digital EQs are not nearly as bad as digital volume controls.

Jul 7, 2009 at 9:59 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by backtoreality15 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What are some quality brands for EQs then? Nothing worth getting that's under $120?

Forget it for your budget. Also you'd need another set of cables which eats into your budget. I'd use foobar or ffdshow EQ.

Jul 7, 2009 at 10:13 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick 214 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you're interested, I have one of these:

Parts-Express.com:*ART EQ-355 Dual 31-Band 1/3 Octave Graphic EQ | ic eq CTS audio ar

I may sell it... In your price range. PM me.

NK

Looks like a bit of overkill for me. I need something that won't take too much space. Thanks, though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Forget it for your budget. Also you'd need another set of cables which eats into your budget. I'd use foobar or ffdshow EQ.

I use iTunes on a MacBook Pro via toslink. Would using the iTunes equalizer and lowering the gain work fine? My main reason for using an external EQ was that I wanted bit-perfect coming out of my source, giving the DAC something pure to work with...

Jul 8, 2009 at 7:36 AM Post #8 of 9
I don't keep track of various equalizers. I just did some basic checking of reviews and comparisons when I was looking for my EQ. The ART isn't exceptional, but it is good for its price range. The full size (1U or 2U rack size) Behringer EQs didn't do well in comparison reviews (other than being the lowest cost option). The ART does good enough for me for tweaking the sound to my monitors.

I use an external EQ for the monitors because not all of my music comes from the computer. I can't rely on a digital EQ on the computer. For example, I need an external EQ if I want my phono to get EQ treatment.

Quote:

Originally Posted by backtoreality15 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My main reason for using an external EQ was that I wanted bit-perfect coming out of my source, giving the DAC something pure to work with...

That would be a viable reason for not wanting to use a digital EQ from the computer. But would be most critical if you actually needed true bit-perfect signal to the DAC, for example if the DAC is able to decode HDCD. Otherwise bit-perfect to the DAC is a nice goal but not critical if things like EQ are more important.

Jul 8, 2009 at 7:44 AM Post #9 of 9
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/how...torial-413900/

EQ'ing is considered by many to be sacralige. IMHO for digital computer files use the onboard whatever but if you use dedicated sources such as SACD,Vynil,Tape etc. use a seperate external EQ. Above all, Use it wisely and sparingly. The attached thread link will give you a step by step way to use an EQ to "Flatten" to reference quality SQ, but if you just want to adjust it to taste make your own adjustments the way you like. just remember to make the changes small and note that one change will alter the adjacent frequencies so it will take some patience. Alesis makes a nice one
http://www.google.com/products?hl=en...e=on&scoring=p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back