Hardware controlling of studio monitors' volume
Apr 4, 2009 at 3:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Telix

100+ Head-Fier
I just ordered an e-mu 1212m and a NAD PP-2 phono stage. Yes, put these two together and you know I'm going to start digitizing my vinyl (again). I previously had been using a pair of M-Audio monitor speakers I liked quite a bit, but haven't used them for over a year due to space issues. However, I'd like to hook them up again on some newly purchased desk space. However, the most annoying thing about monitors is that you need a decent way to control their volume levels, but that usually involves a mixer which can be a weak link in the chain. Any advice for a HARDWARE solution to control the volume of my system without having to deal with clicking on the windows volume icon?

Apr 4, 2009 at 6:49 AM Post #2 of 7
There are volume knob boxes made for powered studio monitors. Most are passive designs. Places like Sweetwater or ZZounds carry some along with full on monitor control like the PreSonus Central Station or Monitor Station.

Some passive volume knobs:
SM Pro Audio iNano
TC Electronic Level Pilot
NHT PVC Pro and PVC Hi-Fi
There are also higher end things like Goldpoint ($300+)

The TC Electronic Level Pilot looks kind of neat.

I don't have any experience with the passive volume knobs. I'm using a Mackie Big Knob monitor control which is not passive and is just like sticking a mixer in the signal chain. Works for me, but I'm not that picky and I love the convenience of all the switching available on the Big Knob.

Apr 5, 2009 at 3:42 AM Post #4 of 7
I use a Sonic Euphoria PLC passive preamp, and it's terrific.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ham Sandwich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are volume knob boxes made for powered studio monitors. Most are passive designs. Places like Sweetwater or ZZounds carry some along with full on monitor control like the PreSonus Central Station or Monitor Station.

Some passive volume knobs:
SM Pro Audio iNano
TC Electronic Level Pilot
NHT PVC Pro and PVC Hi-Fi
There are also higher end things like Goldpoint ($300+)

The TC Electronic Level Pilot looks kind of neat.

I don't have any experience with the passive volume knobs. I'm using a Mackie Big Knob monitor control which is not passive and is just like sticking a mixer in the signal chain. Works for me, but I'm not that picky and I love the convenience of all the switching available on the Big Knob.

Apr 5, 2009 at 7:43 AM Post #5 of 7
you could try LINK

GFPOWERMATE.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back