HardDrive/MicroDrive Player & Sound Quality
Nov 26, 2004 at 9:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

webzeb

100+ Head-Fier
Hi everybody!

Currently I own an iBead 100 which offers a decent sound quality (a noticeable lack of power, a lack in low frequencies, some distortion at high volume, a little blow… (used with its cheap ear buds, Sennheiser MX500, Sennheiser PX200 and Shure E3C)...but that's quite correct fort that kind of player), and some amazing additional functions (FM radio, automatic shutdown...). It’s small, ultra-light, complete…but really “space-limited”, and doesn’t offer the sound quality I’m waiting for!
Consequently I’d like to buy a new player, and I consider these two solutions:
•A light and small 4~5GB MicroDrive Player, with an FM tuner, to replace my actual iBead. (For example: Zen Micro, MuVo²…). It may be a compromise…but may be I shouldn’t do compromise!
•A 20~40GB HardDrive Player, which would offer me more space, and could a great complement to my iBead (I still use my iBead practising sports, or to listen to FM radio…). That’s probably the better – but most expensive – solution…

My first, and principal, measure is sound quality! I’ll use my player with good ear buds – Shure E3C which I’ve been testing for a week, or may be Etymotic Er6i -, with correctly encoded MP3 (I’m not a Vorbis addict: It’s quite good, but it seems to “colour” the sound. I would make more tests soon (MP3 is far away to be perfect itself)…). Obviously I’ll use it in “nomad” conditions (noisy environments…), but also often in good conditions (attentive listening…).
I’m waiting for a player which could offer a neutral – or even quite “hot”: I like a little prevalence of medium frequencies -, very detailled, and dynamic (I noticed that a good output power could be advantageous with the Shure, and that some player doesn’t manage well with these ear buds…) sound.

I hope you could help me.

Thanks!

Best regards.

Nov 26, 2004 at 10:06 PM Post #2 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by webzeb
Consequently I’d like to buy a new player, and I consider these two solutions:
•A light and small 4~5GB MicroDrive Player, with an FM tuner, to replace my actual iBead. (For example: Zen Micro, MuVo²…). It may be a compromise…but may be I shouldn’t do compromise!
•A 20~40GB HardDrive Player, which would offer me more space, and could a great complement to my iBead (I still use my iBead practising sports, or to listen to FM radio…). That’s probably the better – but most expensive – solution…

Did you want a player with a microdrive that is removeable or one that is just built-in? I only know of the older eDigital MPX100, which I would not recommend because of it's slow interface. If a 4GB capacity is acceptable, the iPod Minis have a good deal of FM options.

Otherwise, check out the Creative Zen with external FM remote. Good luck.

Nov 26, 2004 at 10:16 PM Post #3 of 25
Personally I think the Muvo2 is a great little player. Sound quality is good, size is good. It does use proprietary software for music transfer, but the newer software that comes with it is livable. It has the small display, but if you don't need a huge display, this really is a great little player.

Nov 26, 2004 at 10:18 PM Post #4 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevesurf
Did you want a player with a microdrive that is removeable or one that is just built-in? I only know of the older eDigital MPX100, which I would not recommend because of it's slow interface. If a 4GB capacity is acceptable, the iPod Minis have a good deal of FM options.

Otherwise, check out the Creative Zen with external FM remote. Good luck.

I don't care.

But I must admit that little by little the second solution (keep the iBead and buy a real "juxebox"...) appears much better.

Remains the essential question of the sound quality, which is my first and principal measure !

Thanks for your help.

Nov 26, 2004 at 10:26 PM Post #5 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by MuzlL0dr
Personally I think the Muvo2 is a great little player. Sound quality is good, size is good. It does use proprietary software for music transfer, but the newer software that comes with it is livable. It has the small display, but if you don't need a huge display, this really is a great little player.

I 've had good rumours about the MuVo², concerning its sound quality.

The MuVo² 5GB FM especially is very interesting...but not released in Europe (and it won't be...) We only have the "simple" 5GB version, and it's quite expensive.
frown.gif

The screen size coul be a problem, considering that the 5GB drive will be absolutely full. lol

Thanks foryour help.

Edit: The 5GB version is not UMS (Universal Media Storage) ?!

Nov 26, 2004 at 11:05 PM Post #7 of 25
Anybody knows if the different versions of the Creative Zen - you would believe that Creative is a fixation...obvisouly not, but I'm actually testing an old Zen USB/FireWire, that's why I have a view to their players
wink.gif
-, it's to say the old Zen USB/FireWire, Zen USB2.0, Zen NX, Zen Xtra and Zen touch shure exactly the same audio circuit ?

(I mean decoder, analog'->digital converters and (pre)amplification circuit.)

Thanks.

Nov 27, 2004 at 2:42 AM Post #12 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by webzeb
Edit: The 5GB version is not UMS (Universal Media Storage) ?!

D'oh! Yeah, it is. I'm smoking crack. I had my Xtra on my brain for some reason. Duh. That was one of the main perks for me in terms of the Muvo2 was the UMS support. I'll be shutting up now.
icon10.gif

Nov 27, 2004 at 11:48 AM Post #13 of 25
So, let the MicroDrive/HardDrive choice for the moment, and just consider the sound quality problem.
wink.gif

If some of could share their experiences about MD/HD players, espacially with good "intra" ear burds like E3C or Er6i, it would be helpfull to me.

Thanks !

Nov 27, 2004 at 7:12 PM Post #14 of 25
Hi everybody!

I think that everybody has its own measures concerning sound quality. So I'll talk briefly about "my kind of sound":
•It has to be neutral, or rather a bit “hot”: I like a little prevalence of mediums (or even of bass), but I can’t bear that modish “bassy soup” (prevalent – and generally too “round” bass which encroach upon all other frequencies, added with boosted highs supposed to give a “clearer” sound…).
•The bass have to be “crisp”, enough powerful, but certainly not encroaching upon other frequencies.
•It has to be “clear” (without prevalence of highs, which is an artificial way to create the feeling of a “crystal clear sound”…)), as detailed as possible.

Obviously my request is probably to hard to please for a “simple” nomad player, but I hope it could precise my tastes, giving you a more precise idea of what I’m waiting for.

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back