Hard to decide. Klipsch X10 or SE530.
Aug 15, 2008 at 8:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

don_lee103

Head-Fier
Hey guys,
I have been a happy owner of Atrio M5 until it broke on my a couple weeks ago.
I had my mindset on getting SE530 until I heard mixed reviews about them having rolled off @ highs and a fragile cable. I will be spending $300 on it so I want it to last as long as possible. (I don't have any plans to upgrade in near future)

One day, I managed rent Klipsch x10 from a store to try them on. I thought the sound was very clear and punchy. What do you think I should get? I wil get the Shure without hesitation if it didnt have a problem with cables cracking every half a year. (I want something reliable so I can listen $300 worth of music out of it.)

Please do not recommend me other headphones here. It took me a long time to narrow my decision and I dont want it do be expanded again. lol
(I've also looked at Triple.fi's but they are not my opion because it's too big for my liking. I dont like IEMs that stick out.)

Thanks
Don

Aug 15, 2008 at 8:21 PM Post #2 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by don_lee103 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys,
I have been a happy owner of Atrio M5 until it broke on my a couple weeks ago.
I had my mindset on getting SE530 until I heard mixed reviews about them having rolled off @ highs and a fragile cable. I will be spending $300 on it so I want it to last as long as possible. (I don't have any plans to upgrade in near future)

One day, I managed rent Klipsch x10 from a store to try them on. I thought the sound was very clear and punchy. What do you think I should get? I wil get the Shure without hesitation if it didnt have a problem with cables cracking every half a year. (I want something reliable so I can listen $300 worth of music out of it.)

Please do not recommend me other headphones here. It took me a long time to narrow my decision and I dont want it do be expanded again. lol
(I've also looked at Triple.fi's but they are not my opion because it's too big for my liking. I dont like IEMs that stick out.)

Thanks
Don

From all I have read, the SE530 is a little bit better IEM SQ wise. They both have rolled off highs to a certain degree but SE530 is still more detailed. The cable problem was resolved by Shure about 8 months ago. You shouldn't have issues.

Aug 15, 2008 at 9:53 PM Post #3 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From all I have read, the SE530 is a little bit better IEM SQ wise. They both have rolled off highs to a certain degree but SE530 is still more detailed. The cable problem was resolved by Shure about 8 months ago. You shouldn't have issues.

I owned (and loved) E500's previously and I just received a pair of Image X10's yesterday. I don't know if I'd say the E500 is better because it's been awhile but the Image X10's are really impressive and in a tiny package. If it's something discreet that the OP is looking for then the X10's fit the bill to a T. I'm really impressed with the overall package of the X10's as well, the included accessories are very useful, well made with a feeling of quality as are the X10's themselves. Even though I loved the E500's the cable woes and minor comfort/fit issues led me to sell them.

Aug 15, 2008 at 10:02 PM Post #4 of 30
Are you shedding the SA6s for the X10s? Or have you already done that? Just curious, since you were a major Sleek booster in the early days. I am not going to spring for any new phones right now, just curious.

Didn't mean to hijack the thread. Back to the 530 v. X10 debate.

Aug 15, 2008 at 10:10 PM Post #5 of 30
Nope, the SA6's are staying put, the X10's are more of a complement to the SA6's. After finally auditioning the Triple.fi's a few weeks ago the X10's were really the only high-end universal IEM I hadn't heard which I was curious about so when I saw the sale SoundEarphones.com has on them I couldn't resist giving them a try.

Aug 15, 2008 at 11:58 PM Post #8 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by don_lee103 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where do you even get these sleeks? I have been looking around for one but none of stores have them in stock.

SoundEarphones have them in stock, or so it says.

Aug 16, 2008 at 12:04 AM Post #9 of 30
i'm actually considering buying a replacement for my 530's they been shedding, they r hardened cables and the left earphone started giving out yesterday
frown.gif
so which cables you guys think can take more abuse? because i use headphones about 8 hrs/day 4 times while doing deliveries.

Aug 16, 2008 at 12:17 AM Post #10 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by b0ris84 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i'm actually considering buying a replacement for my 530's they been shedding, they r hardened cables and the left earphone started giving out yesterday
frown.gif
so which cables you guys think can take more abuse? because i use headphones about 8 hrs/day 4 times while doing deliveries.

If your worried about cables you might want to look into the Sleek Audio SA6's because they have replaceable cables that are relatively cheap.

Aug 16, 2008 at 12:33 AM Post #11 of 30
As far as the original post goes if you like the M5 then maybe the Sleeks wont give you enough bass. I love love the sleeks over my SE530 but honestly the Sures have more boomy bass. Ive had a brief audition witht he M5 and Id say the M5 and the sures are closer to the type of bass put out. The Sleeks to me are more punchy and controlled but not as boomy. From what I understand the X10 should also provide the bass you might want after having the atrios?

So elnero, should I get the X10's. I cant help but to think about it alot. Consider that I like the Sleek sound better then SE530 or M5. Have you tried the X5?

Aug 16, 2008 at 12:42 AM Post #12 of 30
Personally, I wouldn't buy anything Klipsch because my Klipsch ProMedia desktop speakers quit working properly after only about a year. (They only work with headphones now, no sound will come out of the speakers at all.) Their customer service wouldn't even answer a simple question out of warranty (just barely). I use them very gently, so they shouldn't have broken. They're cheezy. I wouldn't trust anything they make anymore.

Aug 16, 2008 at 12:59 AM Post #13 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by elnero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If your worried about cables you might want to look into the Sleek Audio SA6's because they have replaceable cables that are relatively cheap.

how r the sa6's on sound quality compared to the 530's cuz i love how these babies sound and i don't want a drastic drop in sound isolation and so forth

Aug 16, 2008 at 1:01 AM Post #14 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by pseudohippy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As far as the original post goes if you like the M5 then maybe the Sleeks wont give you enough bass.

The OP has narrowed his options to the Images and 530's so he's not interested in the Sleeks which is why I didn't talk about them initially, they came up in a side discussion.
Quote:

Originally Posted by pseudohippy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So elnero, should I get the X10's. I cant help but to think about it alot. Consider that I like the Sleek sound better then SE530 or M5. Have you tried the X5?

I haven't tried the X5, they don't hold much interest for me at this point. As far as whether you should try the X10's, I've always been a big advocate for trying things yourself. That said, based on what you've told me I'd say you wouldn't like the X10's more than the SA6's.

Aug 16, 2008 at 1:12 AM Post #15 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by b0ris84 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how r the sa6's on sound quality compared to the 530's cuz i love how these babies sound and i don't want a drastic drop in sound isolation and so forth

With Shure black olive foamies the SA6's actually isolate better than the E500's, probably because they insert a bit deeper.

I've made a few posts with some impressions/comparisons of two from back when I had both so you if you want more detail you might try searching using my username. Briefly though the SA6's have a bit leaner, punchier sound with better extension on the top. The E500's capture decay better whereas the SA6's are better at portraying the initial transient. The E500's have a soundstage that's set further back and wider but the SA6's is deeper and has more height. I personally really like both but for different reasons. The SA6's customizable sound, modular, versatile design and cheaper price gives it the edge in books.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back