Hard to break IEMs
May 5, 2011 at 7:42 AM Post #16 of 26
Most customs have great build quality.  You could check out the offerings from Unique Melody, 1964ears and Kozee, if you want.  They have IEMs that might be in your price range.

But the IEMs themselves will never break unless you ran over them with a truck, they're basically a solid chunk of acrylic.  You'd want one with a replaceable cable though, so you wouldn't have to send it in if it breaks.

May 5, 2011 at 8:06 AM Post #17 of 26

Quote:

395.95. I'll test them out later. However the quality might not be up to par, because I have broken "unbreakable" IEMs.. I play basketball while wearing IEMs..which is why I go through them so fast.

How do you break them playing basketball?  I would think the most common way would be to catch the cable and have it yanked.  If that's the case, you may want one with a replaceable cable.  I've ruined 2 pair of portable headphones and 1 pair of IEMs by catching the cables. 

Quote:
Most customs have great build quality.  You could check out the offerings from Unique Melody, 1964ears and Kozee, if you want.  They have IEMs that might be in your price range.

But the IEMs themselves will never break unless you ran over them with a truck, they're basically a solid chunk of acrylic.  You'd want one with a replaceable cable though, so you wouldn't have to send it in if it breaks.

I don't know of any recent examples, but there have been some design flaws in universal IEMs that have caused premature failure.  Most that I've read about, the problem was the cable or the stem breaking easily.  The original case supplied with the Super.fi 5 caused the IEMs housing to crack.

May 5, 2011 at 8:24 AM Post #18 of 26
umm.. several head injuries from basketball. It's mostly because I play a pretty physical game of basketball with friends... it's more like American football without all the protection that football players have.

Removable, yes, I think I might get a triple armature driver pair of IEMs and do the kozee universal to custom modification. then i'd have to ask for which one has the sound that I want.

May 5, 2011 at 10:31 AM Post #20 of 26
Ety4 (S or P) hold up well.  I been using them at the gym for the last few years.  The cords don't get all stiff with sweat over time. .  Also, Etymotic has great service if something does happen.

May 5, 2011 at 4:40 PM Post #21 of 26
IE8. Try breaking those, kelvar enforced cable+ lightweight.

May 5, 2011 at 8:18 PM Post #23 of 26
I've planned to get a triple-fi 10 and send it to kozee to change it into a custom. 

Quote:
IE8. Try breaking those, kelvar enforced cable+ lightweight.

Do you want to see my broken IE8? I'll need to dig it up from my drawers..if i still have it. give me a couple weeks, a pair of tweezers and some hopes and prayers that it's not in my av cable/ broken headphones grave. (bottom drawer, under my bed.)

May 5, 2011 at 9:09 PM Post #24 of 26
Well i never had much problems with the ie8 for the 3 years i had it. There was even an occasion where it was ran over by a bicycle. Oh well, maybe my set is luckier...much luckier.

May 5, 2011 at 9:12 PM Post #25 of 26
Well i never had much problems with the ie8 for the 3 years i had it. There was even an occasion where it was ran over by a bicycle. Oh well, maybe my set is luckier...much luckier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back