Hard icecream :(
Feb 13, 2005 at 10:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

zool

500+ Head-Fier
Ever notice how ice cream becomes really hard/stale and really to cold for eating when kept in the fridge to long? So stale that the spoon practically bends when you try to get some. Anyone ever try microwaving it to soften it up a bit?

Feb 13, 2005 at 10:57 PM Post #2 of 24
okay first off the people are going to bitch at you for posting a useless thread.

after i start living on my own i almost stop using the microwave completely. its evil in a lot of ways.

yeah what you have to do is leave it outside and wait for 8minutes and come back. if you wait anylonger the thing will melt.

the script did not sensor my swear word, i'm not going to change it.

Feb 13, 2005 at 11:00 PM Post #3 of 24
dip the ice cream scoop in boiling water it makes it easier to scoop the ice cream. If you have to use a microwave set it to defrost and defrost for 1 minute.

Feb 13, 2005 at 11:08 PM Post #4 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by terrymx
after i start living on my own i almost stop using the microwave completely. its evil in a lot of ways.

True, it almost seems to change the substance of some things after they've been heated up.

Quote:

yeah what you have to do is leave it outside and wait for 8minutes and come back. if you wait anylonger the thing will melt.

Thats not really instant icecream, 8 minutes is a long time if you really feel the urge for some icecream.

Quote:

okay first off the people are going to bitch at you for posting a useless thread.

Whoever feels the need to bitch about this thread, feel free to do so
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 13, 2005 at 11:16 PM Post #5 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkFloyd
dip the ice cream scoop in boiling water it makes it easier to scoop the ice cream. If you have to use a microwave set it to defrost and defrost for 1 minute.

Now this is what I call creative, boiling water
smily_headphones1.gif
. Although in that case the icecream would still be to cold for my taste, I think I'll try the microwave at defrost. Thanks Pinkie
biggrin.gif

Feb 13, 2005 at 11:40 PM Post #7 of 24
Yep, just micorwave it for less than a minute, maybe a 20 seconds and try, if still hard try again, I do that all the time with my icecream and I'm still alive and the taste is the same, that is a bunch of BS....if you have an icecream emergency, go for the microvawe....I can assure you that the icecream suffer more from other radiations during the productive process, than from microwave it for a few seconds....

Feb 14, 2005 at 1:05 AM Post #8 of 24
Nuking ice cream is much more efficient than letting it stand. It gets uniformly soft that way rather than just getting a pool of melted liquid on top (a really bad thing). As to the off-taste, that is a result of freezer burn (exposure to air at extremely low temperatures). The only way to avoid that is to make sure that the ice cream is securely covered and replaced in the freezer as soon as you scoop. Letting it stand to melt will increase the likelihood of freezer burn, as it will cause liquid melt on the surface. So will that boiling hot scoop! Modern technology is a wonderful thing, and we have to learn that it doesn't mean that we are corrupting our food by using it. the only caveat I have is that the time necessary to soften it will depend on the power level of your microwave. If you have one of those new 1100 + watt ovens, try nuking at 10 second (high) intervals first. If you have the standard 750-900 watt ovens, than the 20 second intervals are fine.

Feb 14, 2005 at 1:07 AM Post #9 of 24
I just got a fancy new microwave for my appartment and it has a feature where its sensors will measure the ice cream carton and melt it so that it's exactly so soft as its set to be. It's awesome
tongue.gif

I feel old, buying microwaves and such... damn
biggrin.gif

Feb 14, 2005 at 2:57 AM Post #11 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by zool
Ever notice how ice cream becomes really hard/stale and really to cold for eating when kept in the fridge to long? So stale that the spoon practically bends when you try to get some. Anyone ever try microwaving it to soften it up a bit?

I rarely leave ice cream in my freezer for a long period of time
redface.gif
biggrin.gif

However, yeah, i use the microwave, maybe 10 seconds to warm it up enough, usually i notice the worst freezer burn with Haagan Daz ice cream. I currently prefer Edy's Chocolate ice cream, it tastes great (better than Haagan Daz, that's for sure).

Feb 14, 2005 at 10:22 PM Post #14 of 24
I'm not a big fan of Haagen daz.. Imo you can get more and better tasting icecream for that kind of money. My favorite is Carte Dór Banana Toffee
tongue.gif
. I actually also think that the vanilla icecream at McDonald's is pretty good too.

If I was to my own flavour I would make sweet chocolate icecream with small pieces liquorice in it. Id call it Chocolate Dream.. I think that would be a interesting flavour
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 14, 2005 at 10:56 PM Post #15 of 24
Quote:

I'm not a big fan of Haagen daz.. Imo you can get more and better tasting icecream for that kind of money.

I was following you until you wrote:

Quote:

I actually also think that the vanilla icecream at McDonald's is pretty good too.

confused.gif

Amicalement

P.S. But Haagen ice cream is often hard has a rock....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back