Hard Hitting Headphones
Feb 7, 2004 at 6:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Knocturnal

100+ Head-Fier
First of all the subject title is the closest thing I could find to describe what I want. The headphones are going to be running through an iPod and probably an amp. What im looking for is a headphone with some impact. I have the SR225s and I think I want a change, something more comfortable would be nice. Comfort is a big factor for me because after 30 minutes the SR225s begin to hurt my ears. I listen to rock, rap, punk. I apppreciate any help you can give me.

Knocturnal

Feb 7, 2004 at 6:47 AM Post #3 of 23
Comfort?... Ety's?.. Hmm... Yeah....

For around $70 and below, Sony V6 or HD280 (after you've stretched out for a couple of days)...

For just around $100 and below, nothing beats Sony CD780... they are like pillows on your head.

Feb 7, 2004 at 6:53 AM Post #4 of 23
I guess I better add that my price limit is about 200 or so. The comment about the etys was....well....interesting. Ive tried etys and they plain and simply dont have enough bass out of my ipod, especially unamped, never tried them amped. I was looking at the Beyerdynamics because they are comfortable but ill check out the Sonys. More suggestions please.

Feb 7, 2004 at 6:55 AM Post #6 of 23
Below $200, easy to drive, dynamic sound, comfortable.. A900...

Be aware that nothing is as "up front" as the Grados though... because all other headphones actually tries to create a realistic soundstage, Grados don't attempt that at all.

Feb 7, 2004 at 7:34 AM Post #8 of 23
Grados hit fast and quick, but not as hard, like a lightweight boxer. The DT770 (and its' little brother the V6) hit not quick as quickly, but very hard, the DT770 is the young Tyson to the Grados' De La Hoya, if that makes any sense.

Grados = fast
DT770/V6 - hard/heavy (sledgehammer like for the former)

Feb 7, 2004 at 7:37 AM Post #9 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by Iron_Dreamer
Grados hit fast and quick, but not as hard, like a lightweight boxer. The DT770 (and its' little brother the V6) hit not quick as quickly, but very hard, the DT770 is the young Tyson to the Grados' De La Hoya, if that makes any sense.

Grados = fast
DT770/V6 - hard/heavy (sledgehammer like for the former)

confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

My DT 770 non-pro hits plenty fast on my PPA. I have a hard time finding a faster, bass heavy song than Outkast - Ghettomusick. It plays that song as well as all other of my "bass" songs quite well.

Shrug* ?

Feb 7, 2004 at 7:38 AM Post #10 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by harkamus
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

My DT 770 non-pro hits plenty fast on my PPA. I have a hard time finding a faster, bass heavy song than Outkast - Ghettomusick. It plays that song as well as all other of my "bass" songs quite well.

Shrug* ?

Have you heard any Grados before? They give a new meaning to speed, especially the SR325 and HP2. Don't me wrong though, the DT770 has a very fast bass, just not as quite fast as the Grados. I should have been clearer the first time.

Feb 7, 2004 at 7:48 AM Post #11 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by Iron_Dreamer
Have you heard any Grados before? They give a new meaning to speed, especially the SR325 and HP2. Don't me wrong though, the DT770 has a very fast bass, just not as quite fast as the Grados. I should have been clearer the first time.

Shrug* No, I haven't.
biggrin.gif
Though, now that you put it in those words, I will have to try a pair of Grados one day.
biggrin.gif

Feb 7, 2004 at 8:02 AM Post #13 of 23
Don't forget the underdogs here...

Philips HP890...

Worth a shot, seeing that they are pretty damned cheap
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 7, 2004 at 8:03 AM Post #14 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by harkamus
Shrug* No, I haven't.
biggrin.gif
Though, now that you put it in those words, I will have to try a pair of Grados one day.
biggrin.gif

If you love the DT770, the Grados may not impress you so much, since the bass is neither as deep, or as heavy-sounding. Grado bass (Save the HP2) is not fully flesched-out IMO, and makes things sound just a little lean, whereas the DT770 just has a tiny amount of bloat in the bass that helps give them their s20-pound sledge power
basshead.gif

Feb 7, 2004 at 10:49 AM Post #15 of 23
With the right amp, the Sony CD3000 hits pretty hard too IMO - ok its no DT770, but it does sound superior if you are looking for good sound as well as powerful bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back