Hard drive music player for a friend
Jan 18, 2008 at 11:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Fallingwater

100+ Head-Fier
A friend of mine broke her old Zen mp3 player, and now she needs a replacement.
Her list:

- absolutely no ipods (please don't start discussing this)
- 30 gigs minimum
- video, pictures, radio and all that are not required; she needs it for music alone.
- decent audio quality, but it isn't necessary that it meets audiophile standards
- decent interface
- not too expensive
- available in Europe (specifically, Italy)

Any ideas?

Jan 19, 2008 at 12:15 AM Post #2 of 9
Anything from Cowan.

COWON America

30/60gb player with great sound quality.

COWON America

Cowan players have fantastic sound quality and typically have a much better headphone output section so as to avoid using an external amp. You can pick up on free accessories when you buy direct from them as well. Alot of their players also support un common formats as well, like Flac. You might wanna consider the D2 flash based player as well, it comes in 8gb version but it has an SDHC card slot and I think the SDHC memory cards are up to 32 gb now and its a fraction of the size compared to the A3, its cheaper too.

O5W is the MacDaddy mofo but its big bucks.

Jan 19, 2008 at 3:51 AM Post #3 of 9
"video, pictures, radio and all that are not required; she needs it for music alone."

Is any such thing available in a hard drive player? There aren't that many hard drive players available new, anymore. I have more than a few DAPs of various brands, and I, too, am interested in their music function ... which is why so many of my players are 1GB - 5GB music players. If she wants a new player, perhaps she should get several smaller players, and consider flash-based (I know, that would cost a lot). Or get a player that is available in Italy and that has multi-media capability -- and then simply not use the other features.

Another alternative is to buy a used player -- but is that what she would want to do?

Also -- What about Archos products? Some of their earlier hard drive players represented very good value in a music-only package. To what extent would your friend accept/tolerate a player that had a big screen and that can play video (whether she wants to use it or not)?

ARCHOS

Sources (in order of purchase):

2nd Generation 10GB iPod for Windows (retired)
Creative Muvo 256MB (recently found the receipt – over $100!!!)
Creative Muvo 1GB (out on loan)
Rio Carbon 5GB
Cowon iAudio 5 1GB (out on loan)
Rio Karma 20GB (low-mileage collector’s item)
Creative Zen Nano 1GB
Samsung YP-U2 512MB
4th Generation 40GB iPod (monochrome; used as home jukebox)
2nd Generation iPod Nano 4GB
Creative Zen Stone 1GB
iRiver T60 2GB
Sandisk Sansa Clip 1GB

Jan 19, 2008 at 4:10 AM Post #4 of 9
Archos makes great stuff however, and this is just hearsay but some people on the forums mentioned they thought the SQ wasnt up to snuff. As far as video and picture etc. they all have it now, especially the harddrive players, they have more storage and the first thing they wanna do is add movie capabilities. I really like the D2 from Cowan but the only problem is the touch screen, not everyone is going to like that. Here is a couple of good sights to look at. My friend just bought a Sansa View and I looked it up and it is available in a 32 gb version. Hell just go for a classic ipod they come in 160 and 80 gig versions.

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

JR.com: J&R Music and Computer World - Audio, Video, Digital Cameras, Camcorders, TV, DVD, iPods, Networking, Satellite, GPS, MP3, Notebooks, Apple

B&H Photo Video | Digital Cameras, Camcorders

Hope you find what your looking for.

Jan 19, 2008 at 4:33 AM Post #5 of 9
If she isn't going to be nitpicking SQ, Archos is one of the best ways to go. Plus it shows up as UMS on the computer so when you hook it up and connect to the computer, it shows up as a hard drive. Plus it will play back pictures, video and PDF (if they are small enough) and you can get the model with wi-fi if browsing is an option. Also, not to dispute what HardHeadCase just said, but the only people who really noted problems with Archos SQ tended to be using very high sensitivity IEMs when they noted the problem with light hiss. But this is a problem with a few other players paired with IEMs as well. Most less sensitive headphones seem to work very well with them.

Jan 19, 2008 at 6:20 AM Post #7 of 9
firstly i want to correct hardheadcase...

it is cowon not cowan, it is a five letter word and you got it wrong.

on topic : get something from COWON and you won't regret
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back