Hard choice: Atrio M5 vs. X3
May 28, 2007 at 7:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Moody

Head-Fier
I really have a hard time choosing between these 2 earphones.

The Atrio M5 is the hype of the day at Head-fi.org, the X3 is the same at HeadphoneHeaven. Both seem very good earphones for the money, but I don't see any comparisons between the two.

Has someone tried both and has something to share with us? I'm going to use them with my Cowon D2.

Thanks in advance
rs1smile.gif

May 28, 2007 at 8:15 PM Post #3 of 9
I am waiting for my M5 and will poSt a comparison with X3, when it is here.

May 28, 2007 at 8:57 PM Post #5 of 9
I own one but have tried both. They have different sound. I only wish the M5s, at their price, would have better build. Their lower parts looks like they are made of the cheapest plastic available.

May 28, 2007 at 9:01 PM Post #6 of 9
Different sound ok....but can you say anything about the difference in the quality of the sound? Which one gives more detail, which one has more 'body', which one has clearer bass? (I certainly don't like muddy bass)

I own the V-Moda Vibes now, but I'd like a more open sound with slightly more midrange than the Vibes.

Thanks.

May 28, 2007 at 10:52 PM Post #7 of 9
tboner1 gives an excellent review of M5 here http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=239901

The thing is it seems both of them kind of give better sound with different tips. As an X3s owner I have tried several and with UE biflanges I think they trumped M5s in every aspect except bass quantity. But, again, the M5s I listened was stock so, not very helpful right? lol

Better wait for ones who OWN both. kaushama and tboner1 had promised us a full blown comparo. We're in for a big treat!

etysmile.gif

May 29, 2007 at 2:19 AM Post #8 of 9
Own both, but no full-blown comparo. All I can say is I was all ready to dump my M5s and keep the X3s, but I let the M5s burn in a little more with pink noise, then did an hour-long A/B test (split the signal out of my Vision M/Penguin), both amped and unamped, with several types of music.

Both have serious, pleasing bass sound to me, and not flabby at all, but the M5s more refined sound, smoother (also less efficient, need more volume boost). Better highs (not sure I can give you a technical explanation).

Also, for me, I wasn't using the right tips on the M5s. First, I tried the flanges, and they didn't work for me. The foamies are okay, but get dirty fast. I next bought the Shure olives in small, but needed medium for the best seal. Now, I use both the Shure medium black olives and the flesh colored Complys, and I am loving the M5s.

If money were not an object and I had to choose, I'd choose the M5s. If money is an issue (I got the M5s for $130 on ebay, FYI), then the X3s will not disappoint. In fact, I ordered a second pair of X3s from Uncle Wilson, to either give to my 16-year-old for her iPod, or as backup.

Hope that helps.

May 29, 2007 at 4:15 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by SONGsanmanwah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I own one but have tried both. They have different sound. I only wish the M5s, at their price, would have better build. Their lower parts looks like they are made of the cheapest plastic available.

I'm not too worried about the build quality after a month of heavy use, but the logos printed on the back of each earpiece have worn completely off. It sounds silly but I liked them with the FS logo- now they look like some no-name DIY earphone. But ahhhh the sound will always be there... especially with the Shure black foam tips. They're going on the first trip to Asia next weekend and I can't wait to really take advantage of the isolation on that long flight. Hopefully the build quality is up to all that schlepping through airports.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back