Harbeth owners?
Jan 18, 2011 at 9:36 PM Post #2 of 14
Are you referring to the M40 speakers in your question?  I have the SLH5 speakers and I love the sound they reproduce.  I compared them to many speakers including KEFs, Magnepan, B&Ws, PSB, Monitor Audio and the SLH5 always came out on top.  I drive my Harbeths with a McIntosh MC275 v5 tube amp and Convergent Audio Technology preamp.  I may pick up the latest version of the M40 later this year but I want to make sure it matches up well with my room before I buy it.

Jan 19, 2011 at 12:53 AM Post #3 of 14
I've owned the SHL5s, and now use the M40.1s. I use them in an all tube system, in a room thats around 15 X 20 X 8 feet.  What questions did you want to know? 

Jan 19, 2011 at 11:27 AM Post #5 of 14
IMO, most people who say the 40.1s can be driven to there max with small amps, have not used the speakers with higher rated amplifiers. Dont believe everything you read on on the harbeth user group. I have tried three different tubed amps (Mcintosh MC60s, Manley Snappers, and VTL MB185 Signatures) The VTLs can be used two ways with out puts of 110 or 220 watts. The Macs have 60 and Manleys 100 watts. I have also used Bryston 7BSST monos at 600 watts, and treid a couple recievers rated at 50 and 100 watts. Each increase in power brought better performance from the speakers.  Mainly in bass, and soundstage size, both width and depth.  I'm sure the various Harbeths can be wonderful with less than 50 watts, but I have no doubt they wont be what they are capable of. The SHL5s are much easier to drive than the 40.1s.  Also easier to set up and dial in. One of my all time favorite speakers. They can come close to the 40.1s with the addition of a good subwoofer, but will never have the clarity, detail, or depth the 40.1s will give you. If you  are happy with/and want to keep your electronics. i would go with the shl5s and add a sub.
One more thing, I thought after hearing the new model 7s, they were right up there with the shl5s. I think they have a little more pep in there step, and didnt seem to be as warm sounding as the shl5s. If your anywhere in the Atlanta Ga. area, or might be around here in the future, your more than welcome to come by and listen.  

Jan 19, 2011 at 1:42 PM Post #7 of 14
My concern with moving up to the M40 from the SHL5 is bass integration with my room.  My room is large so maybe it won't be a problem but my feeling is that the M40 can be boomy if not matched to the room acoustics or not set up correctly.  With the, SHL5 setup is not a problem and I have a REL Strata III subwoofer that integrates seemlessly and I can control the amount of bass to my taste.  With the M40, I probably could get rid of the sub but I would have less control over the bass.  My room is about 22 ft W x 16 D and my ceiling is very high (>20ft).  If I bought the M40, and kept the McIntosh MC275, I would probably buy another MC275 and use them as monoblocks (150w/Ch tube power).  Tom, any thoughts on integrating the M40 into my room and also tube vs SS.  Thanks

Jan 19, 2011 at 2:16 PM Post #8 of 14

Quote:
Thanks for info and invite. Did I say driven to the max? You must be referring only to those who say that. I listen at low to moderate levels, one reason I still have half decent hearing at my older age. Agree about HUG users group - take opinions there with the proverbial grain of salt. I used to live in Alpharetta. Kinda know Atlanta area (the traffic oh my god). Are you old enough to remember Alex Cooley's Electric Ballroom? Saw a few big acts there which was special because it was a smaller venue, more personal, different but not unlike the Greek Theater in LA. Only thing as much fun was seeing B-52's in Athens. The good old days, kinda. Save the Fox! Buying vinyl at Peaches in Buckhead? Yes sir re, did those things too. Atlanta's a very different beast these days. Lots and lots and lots of empty strip malls and office space. Resell houses on the cheap. Hope to get back one day and see a concert at Chastain Park.

when I say max, I mean performance not volume. You will notice it more at lower volume than high. The Harbeths are not going to crank out super high volume at any power input. If you want lots of inner detail and tighter bass, it will take power. Thats what I have found.

Jan 19, 2011 at 2:18 PM Post #9 of 14

Quote:
My concern with moving up to the M40 from the SHL5 is bass integration with my room.  My room is large so maybe it won't be a problem but my feeling is that the M40 can be boomy if not matched to the room acoustics or not set up correctly.  With the, SHL5 setup is not a problem and I have a REL Strata III subwoofer that integrates seemlessly and I can control the amount of bass to my taste.  With the M40, I probably could get rid of the sub but I would have less control over the bass.  My room is about 22 ft W x 16 D and my ceiling is very high (>20ft).  If I bought the M40, and kept the McIntosh MC275, I would probably buy another MC275 and use them as monoblocks (150w/Ch tube power).  Tom, any thoughts on integrating the M40 into my room and also tube vs SS.  Thanks

It took me alot of moving the 40.1s around to get rid of the thickness in the upper bass. I think if your room is big it will be less of a problem. I use a REL R-505 with the 40.1s and did with the shl5s too.
I think the Mac amps in momo would be great.

Mar 4, 2011 at 5:47 PM Post #12 of 14
Hi, Im just starting with speakers, but Harbeth looks great, but I have few questions,  hope you can help me.

How powerfull amp is ideal for HL5 and 7ES? In specification there is something about 25 W per channel.

Which is ideal room size for them? My room is about 20 square metre.

I will go to our local dealer to audition them.

Thanks

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Jul 18, 2014 at 8:22 PM Post #13 of 14
Hi guys, I am debating on purchasing the Dynaudio C1 Mkii Signatures or the Harbeth 40.1.   I know this is a Harbeth thread so most of you probably will be biased and recommend the Harbeths but has anyone auditioned both?  Before I drop some serious cash, I want to make sure I pick the best speaker for me.  I have Parasound JC-1s and Bel Canto Ref-500m and Ayre 5xe-MP and Oppo-105D with Kef Ls50 which I enjoy very much.  Surprisingly, the Kef Ls50 has some good bass but miss the full range sound and fuller sound mids.  The highs are okay but sometimes can sound a bit edgy imo.  I used to own the KEF reference 205 which I liked but has the supertweeters which I did not like.  But the mids were amazing and the bass was tight and accurate.  I listen to pretty much everything.  I want an all-rounder speaker that can play jass, classical, r&b, hip hop, techno, rock, and so on.  I heard good things about both Dynaudio C1 Mkii's and Harbeth 40.1 I know the Harbeth's are little more expensive but that is why I am looking in the used market.  Any advice.  Unfortunately, no one sells either speakers in Arizona therefore I cannot auditioned.  But I like a nice natural sound with depth, balance, wide soundstage, and detailed but not fatiguing.  I hear Dynaudio has amazing bass for the size..  Any thoughts or advice?  Can someone could be a truly unbiased opinion in here?  LOL

Jul 18, 2014 at 10:54 PM Post #14 of 14
I upgraded from SLH5 speakers to the M40.1 about 1-1/2 years ago and I couldn't be happier. You will need a large room for the M40.1 speakers to open up and sing. I never compared them to the Dynaudio speakers that you are interested in however I did compare them to some Magico and Sonus Faber speakers. Both of them were over $35,000 USD and I liked the M40.1 better.

My Harbeth dealer is a Dynaudio dealer as well. I think he also sells the KEF LS50. I think he can you some good advice based on your room and system. PM me if you want his contact information. I'm not associated with this dealer, just a happy customer.

Back to the M40.1, they are very detailed yet non fatiguing. I spend more time listening to music through my Harbeths than at any point in time in my 30 years in high end audio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back