Harbeth owner help
Jan 14, 2010 at 2:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

indydieselnut

500+ Head-Fier
Greetings! I just took delivery of a pair of Harbeth Compact 7ES-3 as the centerpiece of my 2-channel stereo setup. They're being driven by a Naim Nait XS and fed by a Cambridge 840C cd-player.

My question is what are people using for stands...and to what effect? I know the Sound Anchors are the go-to choice but has anyone had any success with other stands? I made a pair of "prototype" stands for the time being out of 3/4" Baltic Birch plywood. They are basically an I-beam with a front baffle. Everything is sounding wonderful but my experience with other monitor-type speakers I've owned is that the stand subtly, but importantly, influences the final sound of the system.

What would be particularly helpful is if someone has experience both the Sound Anchor stands AND something else. However, any comments are greatly appreciated!

Jan 15, 2010 at 3:21 AM Post #2 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by indydieselnut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Greetings! I just took delivery of a pair of Harbeth Compact 7ES-3 as the centerpiece of my 2-channel stereo setup. They're being driven by a Naim Nait XS and fed by a Cambridge 840C cd-player.

My question is what are people using for stands...and to what effect? I know the Sound Anchors are the go-to choice but has anyone had any success with other stands? I made a pair of "prototype" stands for the time being out of 3/4" Baltic Birch plywood. They are basically an I-beam with a front baffle. Everything is sounding wonderful but my experience with other monitor-type speakers I've owned is that the stand subtly, but importantly, influences the final sound of the system.

What would be particularly helpful is if someone has experience both the Sound Anchor stands AND something else. However, any comments are greatly appreciated!

Congratulations on your speaker purchase. I love my SLH5 speakers.
The Skylan stands are a good alternative to Sound Anchor stands. I've owned 2 Sound Anchor stands, but neither of them were for my Harbeths. If I were you, I would either get the Skylan stands or there is a dealer in Royal Oak, MI named David Michael Audio that sells custom stands for Harbeth speakers. I have the David Michael stands and they are very good and look good too. I'm not associated with David Michael Audio in case you are wondering about that. David the owner, designed a stand very similiar to the Skylan stand only his is made out of MDF instead of the polymer that Skylan uses. David's stands are made specifically for each Harbeth model. I filled my stands about 1/2 way with kitty litter. Also, did you know that Harbeth has an owner's forum here: http://www.harbeth.co.uk/usergroup/showthread.php?t=373
Good Luck.

Jan 15, 2010 at 1:10 PM Post #3 of 3
Steve, thanks! I was looking hard at those 5's but the budget couldn't quite stretch. I'll look at both those options. Again, thanks for the tip about the stands AND the forum.

All the best!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back