Happy vu meter connection
Jan 4, 2010 at 8:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

nightanole

100+ Head-Fier
Ok i have a old 1960's analog meter that i want to use. it is a 20ua unit with a dc coil of 1.5k.

Since i just want eye candy i wanted to hook it up before the pot so i could tune it for full output at the dacs full output. By my calc thats 30mv in if im assuming i just need 20ua into a 1.5k resistor.

Now since the meter cant be relabeled and is just for needle dancing, can i just grab the line level signal and run it through this circuit with 2 mods, a diode to convert to dc, and a cap across the meter to dampin it alittle? Would this affect the audio signal at all?

"If what you want is an amusingly bouncing needle then just install a 100K pot across the output and tie the meter to the wiper through a series resistor and to ground. Adjust the pot for a sufficiently amusing needle bounce and be done with it. Requires 2 trim pots, 2 resistors, and 2 meters. Couldn't be easier."

Jan 4, 2010 at 9:00 PM Post #2 of 2
buffer it, maybe put a cap across the input as a sample-hold smoother and then buffer it once more. you can adjust offset and gain and even attack/decay if you want.

go for it
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back