Happy to be Fulla (4) Schiit
Jun 7, 2021 at 2:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

datoolguy

New Head-Fier
So I broke down and bought a Schiit Fulla 4.

Now, the first "audiophile" purchase I have made is my AudioTechnica ATH-PG1 headset (yes, I know not their best, but LIGHTYEARS beyond the "high end" Logitech gaming headsets I've bought in the past for twice the money). But a friend of mine convinced me that I really needed a better DAC/amp option than the Realtek ALC220-VB on my motherboard, and highly recommended Schiit.

Being a freelance journalist, and therefore not being made of money, and needing a solution that included mic input for meetings and such I went with the Fulla 4. (Thought I was buying the 3 at first, not realizing they'd just released the 4 and I was getting it before there were even reviews out!!)

So all that to say, take this for what it's worth, because I don't have a frame of reference between this and other gear other than so-called high def audio from a computer or phone and gaming headsets that claim great sound, but don't deliver what someone who has recently rediscovered their love of music and really wants to HEAR it needs.

One quibble, the Schiit product documentation says it comes with a 1/8 to 1/4 adapter, but there wasn't one in the box so I'm listening through the pre-amp side rather than the amp side until the one I ordered comes in.

However.

OMG the sound. I've never heard anything like this. I decided to test it with the Braveheart sound track, because there's a ton going on with that, as classical it's a fairly quiet recording so the Fulla would have to really do its' job to wow me.

Boys, girls and small furry creatures, I was in tears. Literally. In. Tears.

There's a flute solo in one of the early songs and I could HEAR the flautist (yeah that's spelled right) take a breath.

I'm currently listening to Marcus King and just beyond wowed.

In the past I've always had to fiddle with the onboard EQ to get the sound I want. Not with this. It's set flat, and will probably STAY that way. I'm just ... stunned ...

Jason Stoddard? Schiit Audio? Mike Moffat? Guys, if this is your LOW end gear, I cannot imagine what your high end stuff sounds like. I'm beyond pleased even without the adapter, and I can't wait to update this with my impressions of the unit after I get the adapter in and can listen to it amplified.

Jun 8, 2021 at 1:54 AM Post #2 of 6
This is awesome and quite well written. The Fulla 3 was my gateway drug, and I'm now listening on a Schiit Bifrost and and Feliks Echo II with a Focal Elex. Careful- once you taste the possibilities, you'll start upgrading! I still use the Fulla for gaming and a bit of listening here and there, and it is still pretty great!

Jun 8, 2021 at 11:41 PM Post #4 of 6
Alas, when I unplugged it to try it on my phone, windows can't see it after I plugged it back in
Plugged into the data and not power port on the back of the fulla? Try a different usb port on the computer?

Jun 11, 2021 at 12:22 PM Post #6 of 6
Update!

Got my adapter in and have been listening powered for the last couple days. WOWSERS.

So wonderful. Music I thought I knew, and have listened to for decades is brand new. Not getting a lot of work done, but boy am I enjoying listening.

Any recommendations for combating ear-fatigue?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back