Happy new owner of Stax
Aug 11, 2005 at 12:34 AM Post #46 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nik
My quartet of Cryo RCA 6cg7 cleartop at 1% I paid 600 $ ! Less expensive if not cryo and if not so well matched (hard to find 4 tubes identical !!!).

Speaking of tubes... the last set I bought for my EarMax AE is simply FANTASTIC: better tha any other Telefunken I had, even better than the CCa. They are Cryo Telefunken ECC801s and E88CC very well matched and very low noise (800 $ for one set).

Best!
Nicola

Cryo RCA's? Are these cryogenically treated or have I confused it with something else? Seriously $600? That's a lot of money by anyone standards.

Tubes for my Raptor cost way less than that thankfully.

Wow $800 for a set of EMP tubes. I tip my hat off to you good sir as that is way more than what I would pay. As long as my EMP gave my fuzzy sound then I am happy.

So is the sound smooth fuzzy or sweet fuzzy? Or is it non-fuzzy?

Aug 11, 2005 at 3:08 AM Post #47 of 49
Gah.... fuzzy this fuzzy that... I want fuzz!

Aug 11, 2005 at 6:39 AM Post #48 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
Cryo RCA's? Are these cryogenically treated or have I confused it with something else? Seriously $600? That's a lot of money by anyone standards.

Tubes for my Raptor cost way less than that thankfully.

Wow $800 for a set of EMP tubes. I tip my hat off to you good sir as that is way more than what I would pay. As long as my EMP gave my fuzzy sound then I am happy.

So is the sound smooth fuzzy or sweet fuzzy? Or is it non-fuzzy?

I do not understand what do means the word "fuzzy", I just know that I have tested a lot of tubes like Valvo, Philips, Amperex... and the Telefunken cryogenically are the best open-detailed and toanlly equilibrated tubes I have found. The cryogenically tubes are only the best set, for a headphones amp is very important to have very well matched tubes, even the single central one (ECC801s), because these tubes are double triode and you need, even for a single tube, to have the two sections of the tube pefectly matched and very low noise... if you what the max (as I whant) you must pay a lot. Hard to find that kind of matched NOS tubes. Do a search to the Tube World or others like Upscaleaudio and you will see... With Telefunken tubes I find the most neutral and natural sound of my EarMax AE.

Best!
Nicola

Sep 18, 2016 at 10:36 AM Post #49 of 49
Picked up a quartet of nos RCAs for my 007tii. On one of the tubes, with the TVR4 trimmer maxed out, I can only get to a match difference of 0.175v. The other 3 tubes, I was able to match to 0v. Hmmm. Sounds great but should I return one of the tube? Not cheap. $240 for the quartet. Or is a difference of 175mv inconsequential? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back