Happy Fallout 3 Day!
Nov 3, 2008 at 7:36 AM Post #31 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm an old-school Fallout vet and this is NOT Oblivion with guns. As mentioned, the engine is much the same (if not identical) to Oblivion, but that doesn't come across in the theme, story or even the gameplay, unless you can't see past the free-roaming role-playing elements as being something that can apply to any relative modern game.

The game is heavily story based, with what appears to be a different ending depending on your alignment (good/neutral/evil). The decisions you make impact your character directly, opening and closing opportunities later in the game, some of which impact the entire story. Dialogue is deep and rewarding. There are numerous "free-form" quests which garner XP and loot galore, but aren't really linked to the story. This is a massive world, but it's heavily populated with things to do - despite the barren landscape, there is always something fun to dig into right around the corner.

Where Bethesda REALLY nailed it, however, was with the Main-, and secondary-quests. There are 12 main quests and 17(?) total side quests available, each of which ties directly to the plot and alters the game-world. The secondary quests are fun, casual (you can take breaks at key points), LONG - so far about 3-4 hours each, and are excellent distractions to get the best loot, develop your in-game persona and can really wreak havoc on later decisions. There are numerous decisions in the game that are damn hard to make. Especially if you're taking the moral low-ground.

Finally, combat is visceral and EXTREMELY tactical. This had me the most apprehensive since the Elder Scrolls series has passable combat at best. Let me confirm enthusiastically that this is some of the finest free-form combat I've ever had the pleasure of digging into. Fallout has always had a very tactical element to it's quasi-real-time combat systems and it's better here than it's ever been. I'd be happy to give examples.

At any rate, I'm going off on a tangent here, but this is, without a doubt, the most fun I've had with a video game (of this scope) in almost 10 years. It's dark, twisted yet funny and overall, brilliantly realized. It's not perfect, but any flaws I've come across have been nothing more than minor technical shortcomings.

If you're a Fallout fan, you must not miss this.

SO far I'm not impressed. It plays exactly like Oblivion with guns. It may have a better story but the side quest are the same old peolpe begging you to help them, go dungeon exporing, yadda yadda.

I haven't played enough yet to really get into it, so I hope it improves.

As for tactical, the combat system is a big disappointment. You have pretty much no choice but to use the AP aiming system, run away until your AP recharges, rinse repeat. Direct attacking is far far weaker. This system gets old real fast. I really hate that there is no cover system, there are so many times you are a sitting duck. After playing games like Gears of War and Rainbow Six, it's rather disappointing that there is no such system at all in any way with FO3. You can switch to 3rd person to be able to see around corners better, but that's about it. And the melee attacking system is just as awkward as Oblivion. Does your swinging get faster and more variety later one as you level up?

And yeah. The modellers at Bethesda need to be fired. The concept artwork was much better, but their 3D modellers do a great job at making ugly people.

-Ed

Nov 3, 2008 at 8:58 AM Post #33 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In this game, do I have to press space bar repeatedly for 2 hours to level up?

If you want you level up your...jumping strength?...sure, go for it.
wink.gif

But seriously, you can tell this is Oblivion, but in a different setting.

And you can switch from first-person to over-the-shoulder view, but it's horrible, because I keep thinking that the mouse wheel will scroll through weapons. No, it changes your POV, and instead you have to hit Tab to dig through your weapons instead. Thank goodness the game pauses while you do that.

Nov 3, 2008 at 2:01 PM Post #34 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by EyeAmEye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After seeing Bethesda was going the FP view (I hate it), I was thinking this one should be avoided, but I think I'll reconsider and grab it.

You can switch to 3rd person, but it looks like hell and doesn't really play any differently at all. I'm not a fan of FP RPGs either, but it's usable here. As to be expected, though, melee combat isn't much fun unless you use VATS. Real time melee is a drag.

On the subject of VATS and action points, I rarely find myself running out of AP, but I should point out that I'm playing a sneaking, conniving sniper. As I mentioned, tactical play is greatly rewarded here, so if you make a guns (or fists) blazing character and don't boost your agility - which determines total AP and the speed at which it replenishes, I can definitely see a person not enjoying the combat at all. If you get stuck surrounded and can't use VATS, you are generally in BIG trouble.

[EDIT] Ed, give it a little time. You'll find all the typical little BS stuff like beggars and whatnot all over the place, but the main and secondary quests are far more involved. I tend to use the little junk jobs just to regain a little karma. I'm playing a dirtbag with a heart of gold, so my thieving ways don't help the alignment.

[EDIT2] Oh, and for those of you who can't seem to keep your AP going to use VATS... have you not delved into the glorious chem/addiction component? If I was playing a fast action character, I'd be a jacked up junkie at all times!

Nov 3, 2008 at 5:43 PM Post #35 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As for tactical, the combat system is a big disappointment. You have pretty much no choice but to use the AP aiming system, run away until your AP recharges, rinse repeat. Direct attacking is far far weaker. This system gets old real fast. I really hate that there is no cover system, there are so many times you are a sitting duck.

I thought as much at first, but direct attacks can be effective after you start maxing weapons skills as the increase in accuracy and base damage reduces dependence on the easy criticals from VATS. Unlike FO1/2, weapon damage output increases as skills increase. Ammunition also goes from somewhat scarce to plentiful as the game goes on so there's no issue on the financial front either.

I play a CQB emphasis character and AP isn't really an issue for that kind of build outside of the first few hours. After all, the closer you get, the easier it is to pull off a manual head shot.

Nov 3, 2008 at 7:14 PM Post #36 of 47
Quote:

You can switch to 3rd person, but it looks like hell and doesn't really play any differently at all. I'm not a fan of FP RPGs either, but it's usable here. As to be expected, though, melee combat isn't much fun unless you use VATS. Real time melee is a drag.

On the subject of VATS and action points, I rarely find myself running out of AP, but I should point out that I'm playing a sneaking, conniving sniper. As I mentioned, tactical play is greatly rewarded here, so if you make a guns (or fists) blazing character and don't boost your agility - which determines total AP and the speed at which it replenishes, I can definitely see a person not enjoying the combat at all. If you get stuck surrounded and can't use VATS, you are generally in BIG trouble.

[EDIT] Ed, give it a little time. You'll find all the typical little BS stuff like beggars and whatnot all over the place, but the main and secondary quests are far more involved. I tend to use the little junk jobs just to regain a little karma. I'm playing a dirtbag with a heart of gold, so my thieving ways don't help the alignment.

[EDIT2] Oh, and for those of you who can't seem to keep your AP going to use VATS... have you not delved into the glorious chem/addiction component? If I was playing a fast action character, I'd be a jacked up junkie at all times!

I read a few player reviews that commented on how bad the 3rd person view was. I guess I will have to get used to FP. I ultimately gave up on Bioshock because of it, hope Fallout is different.

Nov 4, 2008 at 12:12 AM Post #38 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by EyeAmEye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I read a few player reviews that commented on how bad the 3rd person view was. I guess I will have to get used to FP. I ultimately gave up on Bioshock because of it, hope Fallout is different.

It's not that it's broken or anything, other than looking like crap. It's hard to describe, but it just doesn't feel like they tweaked the controls for two different types of viewpoint. I assume you play mostly third-person perspective games then, so you'll probably notice what I mean. As an odd demonstration, stick a picture of some hero on your tv screen roughly at the bottom and slightly to the left from centre, and play any FPS. This is what Fallout's 3rd person view plays like.

On the upside, if you don't like the first person view because it gets you dizzy (not uncommon), I think it would fix that issue, for better or worse.

Nov 4, 2008 at 4:39 AM Post #39 of 47
I can't believe they still haven't fixed the stuttering issue that plagues Oblivion. The visuals are no where near what I was hoping for, they are basically on par with Oblivion, maybe just a tiny bit better.

In my opinion if you enjoyed Oblivion and can still enjoy playing it even to this day, then you'll probably also enjoy the gameplay of Fallout 3.

Nov 4, 2008 at 1:30 PM Post #40 of 47
Quote:

It's not that it's broken or anything, other than looking like crap. It's hard to describe, but it just doesn't feel like they tweaked the controls for two different types of viewpoint. I assume you play mostly third-person perspective games then, so you'll probably notice what I mean. As an odd demonstration, stick a picture of some hero on your tv screen roughly at the bottom and slightly to the left from centre, and play any FPS. This is what Fallout's 3rd person view plays like.

On the upside, if you don't like the first person view because it gets you dizzy (not uncommon), I think it would fix that issue, for better or worse.

I read you can move the camera around on 3rd person, is that true? If so, maybe you can change the perspective to make it more manageable.

Yes, outside of Bioshock, I only play 3rd person games. FP doesn't make me dizzy, I just suck at targeting and moving around. Plus, I like seeing the character on screen.

Nov 4, 2008 at 4:09 PM Post #41 of 47
One of the problem with third person view is that whether you're moving forward or in diagonal its the same animation. From there you can see how the relation between the legs and the terrain would get awkward.

Nov 4, 2008 at 4:14 PM Post #42 of 47
The camera doesn't rotate independent of your character's direction in 3rd person view. You move the camera, your character turns too. It's weird, and it also means you never get to see anything except the back of your PC.

Nov 4, 2008 at 5:26 PM Post #43 of 47
I'm still loving the game though. I kind of wished they made everything further apart and that we would be able to ride motorcycles, and some of the things don't really make sense in terms of disposition. Even raiders need beds. Especially when a lot of places kind of tell their own stories.

I have found a few bugs relating to factions turning enemy to me for no reason whatsoever, even in the middle of quest chains.

I really like exploring the game and I have found it hard to even be a player with good karma at times, I wouldn't imagine having a bad karma... well I would... it'd be a blast
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back