Happy birthday Stuart!
Apr 14, 2002 at 8:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

DanG

Headphoneus Supremus
Have a good one! In just one more year you'll be able to rent cars. Joy!
smily_headphones1.gif

Let the "vodachka" flow!

Apr 14, 2002 at 11:32 PM Post #3 of 20
Happy Birthday, Stuart! Hey, where is that Stuart, anyway? I remember I used to see him around a lot, and now he seems to have vanished! Anyway, where ever you are, Stuart - Have a good birthday!
tongue.gif

Apr 14, 2002 at 11:38 PM Post #5 of 20
Happy Birthday, Stuart!

Apr 15, 2002 at 11:43 AM Post #9 of 20
AHH....sorry I am so late in responding. I spent the day curled in bed with the flu. Oh well....my friday night was one of the best I have had in a long time. Thank you all for the birthday wishes. Funny, I have more from you guys than I have had from most anywhere else. I guess it speaks to the kindness of the people on this board (and the little reminder thingy at the bottom of the opening page...). I have not been around for awhile because I have been extremely busy procrastinating. In the past two months I have read the following books completely unrelated to my research: The Gift by Nabokov; Nine Stories, The Catcher in the Rye, Franny and Zooey, Raise High the Roof Beam, Carpenters and Seymour, an Introduction by Salinger; The Razor's Edge by Maughm, This Side of Paradise and Tender is the Night by Fitzgerald, The Northern Territories Dispute and Russo-Japanese Relations by Hasegawa (my future advisor), The Long Walk to Freedom by Nelson Mandela and Naked by David Sedaris.
Technically I should be reading stuff in Russian, but it is so much easier to read in English...It is also amazing how much more you read when your only tv options are Kevin Sorbo type shows dubbed poorly into Russian....
Well, anyway, I will try to be on the boards more....I don't think I have written in anything other than the Members' Lounge in quite a long time. I will work on that.
Once again, many thanks,
Stu

Apr 16, 2002 at 12:53 PM Post #12 of 20
Sorry to be belated with this, stuartr. Those time zones seem to roll the wrong way. Well, that's the best I have for an excuse.

Interesting reading list. Enjoy everything a lot now that you're back to normal from the flu.

I'm having my own battle with the Russian language, and reading more than ads and the papers I process at work seems a long way off. Maybe I have a kind of tissue-rejection reaction to Russian. I tried some Marinina but bogged down after a few pages.

And, in conclusion, with completely shameless lack of originality:

Happy Birthday!

Apr 16, 2002 at 1:12 PM Post #13 of 20
Thanks Wes, thanks disturbed, legoman.

Wes, as for Russian literature, I think it is best to start easy. I still cannot get into The Master and Margarita, as much as I loved it in English. I find Chekhov and Pushkin (prose only) to be a little more my speed. My problem is that my favorite authors, or the ones I really want to read, are the most difficult to understand: Nabokov, Gogol, Bely and Zoschenko. The last two particularly present a problem as there is a dearth of good translations available. Oh well. Unfortunately I will not have the chance to intensively work on my Russian after this year, as it is "more than adequate" to read academic texts in history, and I need to get a reading knowledge of Japanese, which will be significantly more difficult...
Anyway. blah blah blah, this was about my birthday, no one cares about russian literature. I am sorry.

Apr 16, 2002 at 7:35 PM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Anyway. blah blah blah, this was about my birthday, no one cares about russian literature. I am sorry.

Hey, its your birthday (btw, Happy Birthday and what Onix said) and if you want to turn this into a literature feel free (or start one
biggrin.gif
). I am deply fond of Russian literature, music, and history and want you to know that I've enjoyed the comments you've made about such in this and other threads.

Two questions as I'm not catching as many threads lately:
Are you stateside or still in Russia?
Are you hearing anything new in the way of Russian music (classical, folk or pop if its uniquely russian)

Apr 17, 2002 at 11:30 AM Post #15 of 20
Mr. Redneck:
To answer your questions:
I am still in Russia -- I will be here until July, and then I will be entering graduate school in history at UC Santa Barbara, where I will be for the long haul -- 7-8 years. Long because my field requires me to get at least Japanese down pat in addition to Russian. I am also required to have a reading knowledge in either French or German, and for my region I really should be able to read Korean and/or Chinese as well.
Don't believe me? Check out the CV of one my professors: http://www.admin.ias.edu/EAS/jafcv.htm
It is frightening.
Reading, Speaking, Writing: Chinese, Japanese, French, Yiddish
Reading: Russian, Korean, Spanish, Hebrew, German
Ok, sure....he has also won about every major scholastic grant possible for a historian. Oh, and he is a visiting faculty member at the institute for advanced study. Why yes, that is Einstein Drive, Princeton, NJ 08540.
I hope he doesn't beat me to death with his 40 lb brain.....

Ah, as for the Russian question, I think the country is having a catastrophic post-soviet hangover in the arts. They are going from heavily state-subsidied and culturally important to nearly completely ignored. The "New Russians" (as in Noviy Russkiy, not russians in general) have about as much artistic sense as any other criminal segment of the population (can we say gold chains, gaudy furs, lawn ornaments, and flashy cars?) These are the people with money, and they don't buy art -- whether to hang on the wall, listen to on cd, go to a concert, or watch at a theatre. The true patrons of art can no longer afford it, so it is disappearing. A man in my city just burnt 15 years worth of photographs in protest of this phenomenon. His exact comment was "The people of this city care only about money, drugs, Japanese cars and whores". He could be right. So in any case if there is anything good being produced (and I am sure there is somewhere), I certainly have not been able to find it.
So, that is it for now.
FYI, there is a little button that allows you to unsubscribe this thread.
Stu

Users who are viewing this thread

Back