Happy ATH M50 Owner
Feb 21, 2009 at 10:07 AM Post #16 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Inkwell /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also recieved my ATH-M50s and agree with everything you said. I've also researched for portable amps, but i'm on the fence because the 3move cost more than the headphones and I read that amps don't do much for the M50s. And in true Head-Fi fashion, I also read that it does
confused_face.gif

I landed on these headphones in search for the Denon AH-D2000, which no stores carried and some never heard of
mad.gif

Have you looked at the Hot Audio USB DAC/amps? I think that's what I'm going to get. Cheap too!

Feb 23, 2009 at 2:54 PM Post #17 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bones2010 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you looked at the Hot Audio USB DAC/amps? I think that's what I'm going to get. Cheap too!

I'm looking it up now, thank you for the reccommendation.

Feb 23, 2009 at 3:21 PM Post #18 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by gav17 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They sound better when apmed (tested with Corda 3 Move).

Is this something you are currently using?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pianist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also have ATH-M50s and I am really started to like them since I received my MiniBox E+ amp replacement. They sound much better with a good amp IMO, although after a good amount of burn-in, they also sound very good unamped as well. My main problem with them was that the bass lacked tightness unamped, but it seems to be getting better with time, as the cans are burning-in

Is this amp what you are currently using? I agree with the bass comment without an amp, but it had the better sound out of what I tried and I am looking forward to adding an amp with these cans.

Quote:

Originally Posted by buddhashenglong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone unsatisfied with these? I'm trying to talk myself out of wanting some.

I'm very satisfied with my purchase, especially at the price range they are avaible for. You really do want these cans.
ksc75smile.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Solid Snake /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How are the fit of these headphones? Do they usually sit on the ears or are they circumaural?

Circumaural and very comfortable. Nice and deep, doesn't feel like your ear is touching the speaker. i'm shocked it fit so well on my big head (7 1/4 hat size for reference)

Feb 23, 2009 at 4:06 PM Post #19 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by buddhashenglong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone unsatisfied with these? I'm trying to talk myself out of wanting some.

Well, if you must now, I own the ATH-Pro700, which seems rather similar in design to the M50, and my only problem with them is comfort. The headband has very little padding and will start to hurt after a while. The earpads are not circumaural at all, more like semi-circumaural, so that they partially press on your ears (no, I don't have big ears!). No problems with the sound though.

Do any of you proud M50 owners experience similar problems with that headphone?

Feb 23, 2009 at 5:22 PM Post #20 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Inkwell /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is this something you are currently using?

No. I moved to the MB Quart QP805HS + Corda 3Move combo.

Feb 25, 2009 at 12:40 AM Post #21 of 24
I'm glad you like them. I like them very much as well, and I happen to think the fit and finish is outstanding for the price.

@Pianist. Do you favor them over your Q40 now? I do, except for me, the comfort is not as good on the M50. It pinches my ears over time, where as the Q40 just have clamping force.

Feb 25, 2009 at 1:16 AM Post #22 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by holland /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm glad you like them. I like them very much as well, and I happen to think the fit and finish is outstanding for the price.

@Pianist. Do you favor them over your Q40 now? I do, except for me, the comfort is not as good on the M50. It pinches my ears over time, where as the Q40 just have clamping force.

I'm starting to think that these are going to be my first foray into truly good headphones. I have yet to try them but they seem to bring the best qualities together of all the rest minus the whole comfort thing.

Would there be any way to do an earpad mod?

Feb 25, 2009 at 1:32 AM Post #23 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by holland /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yes I do actually. The Q40s sound too closed in for my tastes now. A well-burned in pair of M50s is still fun sounding, but much more open in the mids, especially with live recordings and also has smoother, sparklier treble and better overall balance than the Q40s.

Feb 26, 2009 at 7:13 AM Post #24 of 24
Is there a three-dimensional quality when listening? I think the biggest gripe I have with my current PX100s is that they really do sound like they're two dimensional to a great degree.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back