Happy ATH M50 Owner
Feb 19, 2009 at 11:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Bones2010

100+ Head-Fier
I just received my new headphones today. All I can say is wow! I was planning to write a comparison to the Bose Triports that I had before. Well, That's out, The Bose will never touch my ears again. I'm amazed at the quality of sound from these headphones costing $100. And this is coming from my crappy on board sound. I can't wait to get a decent DAC/AMP combo. I can't really compare the sound quality to other headphones because I haven't heard many. I do know that nothing I've listened to has this much range. Nothing seems overpowering. Comfort is great. Isolation is decent. I would be shocked if there is a better closed phone in this price range.

Feb 19, 2009 at 11:50 PM Post #2 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bones2010 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Bose will never touch my ears again.

Good man.

Feb 20, 2009 at 12:48 AM Post #4 of 24
"I would be shocked if there is a better closed phone in this price range."

Aye - there's the rub - now that you have these, the next price range starts to look interesting...

Feb 20, 2009 at 12:54 AM Post #5 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by billybob_jcv /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"I would be shocked if there is a better closed phone in this price range."

Aye - there's the rub - now that you have these, the next price range starts to look interesting...

LOL, I think I can make it for awhile with these but the on board sound's days are numbered!

Feb 20, 2009 at 4:34 PM Post #6 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bones2010 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just received my new headphones today. All I can say is wow! I was planning to write a comparison to the Bose Triports that I had before. Well, That's out, The Bose will never touch my ears again. I'm amazed at the quality of sound from these headphones costing $100. And this is coming from my crappy on board sound. I can't wait to get a decent DAC/AMP combo. I can't really compare the sound quality to other headphones because I haven't heard many. I do know that nothing I've listened to has this much range. Nothing seems overpowering. Comfort is great. Isolation is decent. I would be shocked if there is a better closed phone in this price range.

I also recieved my ATH-M50s and agree with everything you said. I've also researched for portable amps, but i'm on the fence because the 3move cost more than the headphones and I read that amps don't do much for the M50s. And in true Head-Fi fashion, I also read that it does
confused_face.gif

I landed on these headphones in search for the Denon AH-D2000, which no stores carried and some never heard of
mad.gif

Feb 20, 2009 at 6:43 PM Post #7 of 24
I would also like to read some first-hand accounts of the M50's response to amplification (especially some of the cheaper amps).

What's the rub. Do they, or do they not respond well to amplification?

Feb 20, 2009 at 7:31 PM Post #8 of 24
They sound better when apmed (tested with Corda 3 Move).

Feb 20, 2009 at 8:07 PM Post #9 of 24
Congratulations! I believe you picked one of the best portable cans - even well above their price range. I always recommend them to people seeking decent isolation and good sound quality in Germany around 150 €... apart from the AKG K272, which has a completely different signature, there are not closed cans (with good isolation) that play on that level...

Feb 20, 2009 at 8:42 PM Post #10 of 24
I also have ATH-M50s and I am really started to like them since I received my MiniBox E+ amp replacement. They sound much better with a good amp IMO, although after a good amount of burn-in, they also sound very good unamped as well. My main problem with them was that the bass lacked tightness unamped, but it seems to be getting better with time, as the cans are burning-in
biggrin.gif

I really don't think that you'll find anything better in that price range. Even compared to much more expensive cans, the M50s hold their own very well in terms of overall tonal balance and accuracy, although if you compare them to good headphones costing twice as much, you'll notice that the micro-detail is lacking on M50s... But I am just nitpicking here of course - they are great for the money!
biggrin.gif

Feb 21, 2009 at 2:00 AM Post #12 of 24
How do the M50s fit in with the rest of audio technica's model lineup? Don't they share a similar niche with the A700s?

Feb 21, 2009 at 8:47 AM Post #15 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by buddhashenglong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone unsatisfied with these? I'm trying to talk myself out of wanting some.

I've been talking myself out of getting these and it's not working
tongue_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back