Hansel and Gretel
Jul 26, 2005 at 8:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

SoundsGood

100+ Head-Fier
Any fans of this Humperdinck opera in the forum? If so, what recordings do you like and why?

I recently picked up the Solti/Vienna Phil recording on Decca. I'm liking this recording quite a bit. The playing of the Vienna Phil is wonderful. Sure, Hansel and Gretel don't sound the most childlike ever, but it's such wonderful playing and singing, who cares?! Solti at his best, too, IMHO.

Also own the Kurt Eichhorn/Munich Radio Orchestra recording on RCA. A classic recording. Moffo, Donath, Dieskau, Berthold, Ludwig, Auger, Popp..an all star line-up of singers.

Jul 26, 2005 at 8:32 PM Post #2 of 2
H & G is sure my favorite opera! Th Eichhorn is one of the best, as is the Solti. I love the Karajan, despite the mono sound. It's always mentioned as a top contender, and deservedly so.
An often overlooked recording is the superb Cluytens/EMI. Utterly refreshing, clear headed...delightful. Every time I hear it I still want to jump for joy at the end. Cluytens is a grossly underrated conductor.
One to avoid, sadly, is the Tate/EMI. In general, it's well done by soloists and conductor alike. Unfortunately, the editors made numerous goofs and listening with headphones makes it all too clear: many very bad edits. Phrases cut off mid-bar, the first few notes of bars missing. Terrible. I don't know if later releases fixed the errors, but if they didn't this is a non-contender for that reason alone.
On DVD, the Franz Welser-Most from Zurich is excellent, the the Met version slightly dated in sound and picture.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back