Handel Messiah
Aug 20, 2005 at 4:57 AM Post #16 of 57
It's got to be Beecham's last. Great cast (Vickers, Tozzi) great orchestra (Prout & Beecham & Goosens). Sounds like Mahler gone nuts. I think Kitsch applies here. But boy, does it work!
2nd choice has to be Andrew Davis -- really exciting stuff.
Neither is historically accurate, and I love it!

Aug 20, 2005 at 5:10 PM Post #17 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamont
Others I like are Davis (Philips) and Shaw (RCA), both from the '60s. Shaw's recording was out of print for many years, but has been recently reissued.

Which Davis recording are you referring to? He has two on Philips, one with the LSO and the other with the Bayerischen Symphonie-Orchester. I have the German recording which I absolutely love.

Aug 21, 2005 at 2:18 PM Post #18 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbhaub
It's got to be Beecham's last. Great cast (Vickers, Tozzi) great orchestra (Prout & Beecham & Goosens). Sounds like Mahler gone nuts. I think Kitsch applies here. But boy, does it work!
2nd choice has to be Andrew Davis -- really exciting stuff.
Neither is historically accurate, and I love it!

Andrew Davis available as budget 1CD highlights with Kathleen Battle as one soprano, sounds like a winner.

The Beecham you refer to is one I have depicted above.......it is on its way.

Aug 24, 2005 at 9:36 AM Post #19 of 57
My favourite is most definitely Gardiner's recording. It's worth every penny that one pays for it. The sound resolution and recording quality are simply excellent, and the piece exceedingly well portrayed. What particularly takes my fancy, however, is that one hears in stark clarity all of the earthy undertones from the organ. I just can't help thinking that if Handel could have it performed, Gardiner's version would be how he'd do it!

I've been listening to it from about the age of two (my parents both liked/like classical music), and, being sixteen now, still enjoy listening to it on a regular basis. Its genius simply isn't diminished over time!

Aug 24, 2005 at 11:28 PM Post #20 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dominic
My favourite is most definitely Gardiner's recording. It's worth every penny that one pays for it. The sound resolution and recording quality are simply excellent, and the piece exceedingly well portrayed. What particularly takes my fancy, however, is that one hears in stark clarity all of the earthy undertones from the organ. I just can't help thinking that if Handel could have it performed, Gardiner's version would be how he'd do it!

I've been listening to it from about the age of two (my parents both liked/like classical music), and, being sixteen now, still enjoy listening to it on a regular basis. Its genius simply isn't diminished over time!

Listening to it now - I would agree that it has a very "authentic" sound (although what is "authentic" is hard to say with this piece), and excellent sound quality.

The RCA Beecham is next on my list.

Aug 24, 2005 at 11:33 PM Post #21 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel
Thanks for ideas brothers and sisters, now to survey the damage to my wallet this has caused.

I ordered a couple more used Messiahs for collection from Amazon:
McCreesh/Archiv
Beecham/RCA

B000003FB8.01._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Mainly got those because my reasearch leads me to believe each is somewhat maverick version that will push envelope a bit beyond established standards.......they will join current collection of:
Christie/Harmonia Mundi
Hogwood/Lyre
Pinnock/Archiv
Richter/DG (highlights 1CD)
Solti/Penguin Classics (highlights 1CD)

Would love to see Gardiner do a new Messiah with better soloist team and modern sound vs 1982 Phillips version which is very expensive 3CD version even used.......can't justify cost, actually bought both Messiahs above for less than Gardiner used! Perhaps Phillips should have released this on mid price remastered "50 Greatest" series like they did for Gardiner's Water Music/Royal Fireworks CD.

DA, Don't forget to report on these!

Oct 27, 2005 at 5:26 AM Post #22 of 57
Got the Beecham a few days ago, and have been listening. Whoa! What an experience! Makes you believe in Father Christmas!!!!

Seriously, this is a recording that must be heard - especially compared to some of the dry HIP performances of Messiah. Recommended, despite its historical incorrectness.

Oct 27, 2005 at 5:32 AM Post #23 of 57
I favor the Shaw...

Seriously any other choir members out there that think this piece has been absolutely ruined by having to perform it for too many bloody years in a row! I swear I loved it at one point and now the very thought of it is painful.

Ah well.
rolleyes.gif

Still the Beecham sounds very interesting... might have to check that out!

Oct 27, 2005 at 10:12 AM Post #24 of 57
I must say that the Beecham is very, very, VERY good! It has a very interesting and absorbing feel to it, and the vocals are simply divine - the female parts are a little lacking at times though.

All the same:
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 13, 2005 at 1:18 AM Post #25 of 57
It's that time of year to wake up this thread. Since the last postings there's been a major change in the Messiah scene: Harnoncourt on Sony/BMG with Concentus Musicus Wien. Yes, it's an "authentic" performance. Small orchestra, small choir. Yes, it works. It's thrilling! Extremely musical. Doesn't drag. Beautiful job. It's not Beecham (what is?), but it sure strips away centuries of abuse by Mozart, Prout, and others. The SACD sound is enthralling. Best of all, the hybrid 2-disk set is priced as one disk! If you like this music, do yourself a favor and buy it. All Messiah enthusiasts need to hear this recording.

Nov 13, 2005 at 3:29 AM Post #27 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbhaub
It's that time of year to wake up this thread. Since the last postings there's been a major change in the Messiah scene: Harnoncourt on Sony/BMG with Concentus Musicus Wien. Yes, it's an "authentic" performance. Small orchestra, small choir. Yes, it works. It's thrilling! Extremely musical. Doesn't drag. Beautiful job. It's not Beecham (what is?), but it sure strips away centuries of abuse by Mozart, Prout, and others. The SACD sound is enthralling. Best of all, the hybrid 2-disk set is priced as one disk! If you like this music, do yourself a favor and buy it. All Messiah enthusiasts need to hear this recording.

Will have to check out newest 2CD Harnoncourt/Harmonia Mundi which is a SACD hybrid, released 11/1/05.........my top 5 Messiahs from last extensive search are:

B00000079K.01._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

1)Christie/Harmonia Mundi
(Sandrine Piau and Andreas Scholl, wow! Sounds like hybrid of period/modern with best of both, spacious warm sound, reference Messiah)

B0000057DB.01._PE10_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

2)Pinnock/Archiv
(Hogwood period performance style more fully realized)

B000001GYW.01._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

3)McCreesh/Archiv
(very close to Pinnock)

B00004VW0A.01._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

4)Andrew Davis/EMI Seraphim
(best modern instrument version I have heard, Kathleen Battle! Full version hard to find)

B000002SSL.01._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

5)Parrott/Virgin
(Emma Kirkby, softer smaller more intimate reverant tone)

B000004CXU.01._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Honorable Mention- Hogwood/Lyre
(a bit stiff by modern standards, but started it all for period messiah performances, wonderful young Emma Kirkby)

Nov 13, 2005 at 3:57 AM Post #29 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dominic
DarkAngel, have you tried the Gardiner one yet?

If so, what's your verdict on it?

- Dominic

Do not own it, just heard short samples............I believe it is older recording (mid 1980s) and still being sold at full price. I am very surprised Gardiner has not done a new modern update recording of this, if he did I suspect it would sound different than older version with all his conducting experience since then.

Nov 14, 2005 at 6:21 PM Post #30 of 57
Well, a quick check at Amazon shows a stray copy (or 2) of the Colin Davis/Bavarian Radio Messiah. If anyone wants to get it, I love it although it's far from HIP. Now, I've got the Beecham ordered and can't wait to compoare the two.
smily_headphones1.gif

Edit: Thought I'd check and the Beecham is on sale at Tower for "only" $16.49, or a little over $5.00 per cd.
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back