Hammond screw question
May 2, 2007 at 6:36 AM Post #2 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ace o' Spades /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a simple question. Will screwing and unscrewing the Hammond 1455 screws cause them to strip? If they do, what can I do to make them fit?

Yep. No less than four things contribute greatly to stripping:

1. the screws are self-tapping,
2. the screws are short,
3. the screw hole is not continuous, and
4. the case is aluminum (soft metal).

Numbers 1 & 2 encourage cross-threading. Numbers 3 & 4 enhance the stripping when it occurs.

Many of us tap the eight corners for 6-32 machine screws. The deeper the better, but my tap only goes about 3/4" deep. So, I use 6-32 x 3/4". Socket head bolts are quite nice and tend to stand up to more abuse than phillips head, while slotted head screws will cause scratching as your screwdriver inevitably slips out of the slot.

Grainger, McMaster-Carr, fastener-express.com, or even Tower Hobbies are all good sources for inexpensive machine screws in quantities of 100. You local Grainger or McMaster would probably be cheaper with no shipping, but they tend to want a business reference.

May 2, 2007 at 11:27 AM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You local Grainger or McMaster would probably be cheaper with no shipping, but they tend to want a business reference.

Grainger still wants a business reference. McMaster doesn't. I use McMaster all the time.
580smile.gif

Mouser sells hardware too. They don't have the range that McMaster carries but they have most of the useful sizes.

Home Depot has hardware too and they will do in a pinch.

May 2, 2007 at 2:36 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You will not find 6-32 socket head cap screws in Home Depot.
wink.gif

No you won't. What they do have isn't very good quality either. Just for fun I checked and McMaster has 262 different types of socket head cap screws in 6-32.

I buy a lot of hardware from McMaster. They have a warehouse and trucking system set up so they cover most of the country with next-day ground shipping. For anyone lurking:

www.mcmaster.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back