Halp! I'm looking for new IEM's - And I have no idea of what to look for!
Oct 29, 2011 at 5:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

RocketCat

New Head-Fier
Hello all!

Firstly - as you might can see, I'm new here and I kinda stumbled over this page after reading an article on lifehacker :)

Secondly: English is my second language and I'm tired ass h*** so I might spell like a 7 year old :p please bear with me...

Now.

I'm looking for some new IEM's to use with my iPhone 4, while I'm on the bus to school and otherwise just walking around town :p
I've previsouly owned these IEM's (in order):

Sennheiser CX300 (god I hated these, they gave me headaches and I felt the bass was way too boomy)
Sony MDR-EX51LP (a little boomy on the bass - otherwise I like the fit :) )
Creative Zen Aurvana In-Ear (Oh, I loved these, airtight seal, neutral bass - just s shame they were not so durable :frowning2: went trough 2 pairs in one year,)
Creative EP-630 (I don't even remember how the bass were on these, but the sound was muddy, and it was impossible for me to get a decent fit - good for me, they were free :p)
Skullcandy Titan (Bass-plosion! :O - and terrible terrible fit, wind-noise, and wire-noise(microphonics?) loved the metal housing tho :p )
Current:
Creative EP-630i (same as the non "i"-version, got them from a friend)

So, that leaves me with some crappy Creatives :p 

What am I looking for?

Good sound - obviously.
But I am on a budget, and that is:

Around 600 DKK - 114 USD - 70£ - 80 €

Must-have features:
Inline Microphone and answer/end button. (Since I, oddly, actually make calls from time to time)
(volume control would also be nice, but not a deal breaker).
L-shaped/angled plug (not a deal breaker, but would be nice)

All the IEM's I've owned seem to have very thing cables - So of course I'm also looking for thicker cables.
And I keep finding myself lusting after Beats By Dre-thick and flat cables. But they seem to have very bad durability and sound quality, yes?

I've looked at these:

Ultimate Ears 500vi (since a have a good experience with Logitech's durability)
Monster Turbine (I know! Way too pricey, but one is allowed to dream?)
Those new Sony ones with balanced amerture (or what ever its called :p) but when are they coming out, and what about the price?

And I know I've looked at like a million others, and I seem to be suffering from short-term memory loss :p

As for music.
I mainly listen to pop, indie rock, downbeat and some rock.
To name a few artists:
Arcade Fire, Basement Jaxx, Kylie Minogue, Mika, Kate Bush, Björk, Amorphous Androgynous, Bif Naked, Electric Six, Ladytron, Scissor Sisters and Polarkreis 18 - :)

Hope this is enough info to get some help - as I feel I'm in IEM Limbo!

:)

Oct 31, 2011 at 6:43 PM Post #4 of 5
Well, from what I understand, they have excellent customer service, so if there are any problems, they'll accept exchanges right away (and I think they even ship out the replacement before they've received the broken one).

Dunno about any serious durability problems though...there have been a fair number of defective ones but from what I understand Spider has been pretty good about it.

Nov 1, 2011 at 12:15 AM Post #5 of 5
http://www.amazon.com/NuForce-NE-700X-Audiophile-Grade-Earphones-Silver/dp/B004GFNDDG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1320120740&sr=8-1

For  $65 these are my choice. To my ears, they were an upgrade from Klipsh Image s4s.  They have great tension relief on the cords, and a stellar warranty.  My first pair shorted in one year for an unknown reason, so I sent them back to the Nuforce for another pair.  No questions asked, I had a new pair in about a week. 

btw, of course the sound is stellar. slightly bass heavy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back