Halo 3 - Official Discussion Thread
Sep 5, 2007 at 9:49 AM Post #16 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by XGJFilmsX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how can you not like the halo series???? H3 is going to be sick new everything and no button glitches, I'm camping for it!!!!

Because Far Cry existed on the PC with vast immersive levels that Halo could only dream of.

Honestly, I'm not sure what there was to really truly like about Halo. The only people that were blown away by it were those that weren't already in to playing FPS's on PC's. It's a fun game, don't get me wrong, but it is not revolutionary or special in any way shape or form.

Sep 5, 2007 at 3:53 PM Post #17 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by F1GTR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Because Far Cry existed on the PC with vast immersive levels that Halo could only dream of.

Honestly, I'm not sure what there was to really truly like about Halo. The only people that were blown away by it were those that weren't already in to playing FPS's on PC's. It's a fun game, don't get me wrong, but it is not revolutionary or special in any way shape or form.

I think there may be a little more to it but for the most part you are right, Halo reinvented the FPS wheel for next-gen consoles. The story was fairly basic, weapons weren't overdone and you weren't carrying an arsenal that you had to cycle through. It was simple, graphics were good, gameplay was a perfect mix of on foot/vehicle and Bunjie got right what so many other makers get wrong when it comes to single player replay value LEVEL SELECT!!!! I don't know why so many game makers blow it on that but to be able to go back and play your favorite levels at will is HUGE for replay value IMO.

Sep 5, 2007 at 5:50 PM Post #18 of 83
well, bungie hit a home run with the workings of halo, and the basics aren't being radically changed; what that means to me is only one question: will it be great OR will it be ****ing amazing?

it's really not possible that they could screw it up; imho halo2 was fantastic, albeit a bit dissapointing, with things coming to a head in halo3 and with the live gameplay i've seen, i have no doubt it will be wonderful, but because of how they're rendering it, with lots of detail even in areas you might not see (except during replay), i don't think the graphics will live up to something like gears of war; i think everyone should realize up front that though the graphics will be good (hell, running halo2 on my PC in hi-def looks good), they won't be mindblowing, and they won't make the game, but they will be significantly improved

Sep 5, 2007 at 5:56 PM Post #19 of 83
my one BIG feeling about halo's shortcoming = the flood

personally, i really hated fighting them, it seemed out of place, a zombie-shooter in what was otherwise a very involving game; elite's just seem so REAL when you fight them, the AI is so impressive; i really think it's a real person; the flood on the other hand were just so annoying and frustrating, and now i'm afraid they might be being made out to be the ULTIMATE enemy, that perhaps the cov. and humans have to join forces against; i hope not, and perhaps i don't have to worry, as most gameplay i've seen has been fighting elites and the new brutes especially; i hope the brute AI lives up to the original elite AI; it's been compeltely redone since halo2, which definitely needed to happen, but i'm still not sure that fighting brutes will feel as exciting as the incredibly-humanoid elites

and this might be the goofy romantic in me, but i'm very interested to see how cortana comes into the story; i found her character very believable, someone worth saving

Sep 5, 2007 at 6:00 PM Post #20 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by RedLeader /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well the first two were disappointments

gahhhhhhhh??????????????

i don't get folks that feel this way; i can't imagine anyone who likes videogames not at least LIKING halo

Sep 5, 2007 at 6:18 PM Post #21 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by uzziah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
gahhhhhhhh??????????????

i don't get folks that feel this way; i can't imagine anyone who likes videogames not at least LIKING halo

And I don't understand people that are blind to better FPS games. I honestly found both boring, I never bothered finishing them. In the first it was the endless rooms that looked the same, with uninspired weapons. (Though I did finish it when it came out for the PC, though I couldnt stand the last level) In the second it was the Arbiter levels that killed it for me. People also talk about Halo revolutionizing FPS on a console, yet I'm really not sure about that either. It had decent graphics at the time, had okay AI. It's often charged with pioneering FPS controls on consoles as well, but has anyone played Goldeneye? How about Quake 3 on the Dreamcast?

It hit at the right time for the Xbox, and it had all the elements that were needed for the console crowd. But if you are a man that has played a goodly number of FPS and their mods, you cannot realistically tell me that the AI was better than Half-Life, the multiplayer was better than UT, the story was better than Unreal or the environments better than Far Cry. If you love them, thats awesome! I'm glad you've got a game that you can really enjoy. For me, console FPS just don't have the depth or intelligence that I prefer in a game. But hey, thats just me.

See you on the Crysis/Far Cry 2 side of the moon
biggrin.gif

Sep 5, 2007 at 7:28 PM Post #22 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by F1GTR /img/forum/go_quote.gif

far cry is the most disappointing FPS I've ever played. huge graphical glitches on all the computers I've tried it on, and they made the game hard by making it take 4 headshots to kill someone without a helmet on normal settings? I like a game where an opponent shot in the head actually dies. Sure, the freeform levels are great, but they don't make up for the other problems.

Sep 5, 2007 at 7:29 PM Post #23 of 83
Halo is fun for the multiplayer. There seems to be a good balance between the weapons. I never feel like I can't kill someone if I aim well enough.

That being said, I am much more excited for Unreal Tournament 3. To me, UT has always been better than Halo.

Sep 5, 2007 at 7:54 PM Post #24 of 83
This thread is for discussion about Halo 3 and while I think it's fair to stack it up against other FPS games can we please keep this from being a "Halo sucks... no, you suck" kind of thread?

uzziah - I totally agree about the flood, they were my main gripe in the first one and I had hoped they'd be absent from the second but nope! They are supposed to be these mindless monsters yet they can use guns, operate vehicles, etc.? lame!

I really hope the 3rd Halo ends up being more of a humans vs. covenant to save earth. It's so simple but it really works and there could be plenty of missions to covenant ships or the covenant home world to keep the scenery interesting.

Sep 5, 2007 at 8:07 PM Post #25 of 83
I didn't mind the flood so much. I actually liked the "caught in the middle of another battle" scenarios.

Looks like Halo 3 will be mainly about save the earth from the Covenant, with the Brutes being the main enemy.

But since this is the last FPS Halo game in the trilogy, I'm sure they will be wrapping up the story, so the flood will probably play a part either way.

Less than three weeks til Halo 3!!!!

Woo hoo!!!!

-Ed

Sep 5, 2007 at 8:10 PM Post #26 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeride74 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
COD4 will be awesome and the graphics look amazing but since it's not out yet Gears still wins
tongue.gif

The COD4 multiplayer Beta has been out, I played it last night, and the Beta alone is better than Gears. (well aside from only 3 maps.)
wink.gif

Quote:

I'm old school, I'll be doing most of my playing in single player campaign... at least until I figure out how to host my own co-op games and invite only who I want to invite
wink.gif

I'm pretty sure the online co-op for the campaign will allow for private games only. Inviting friends is as easy as pressing "X".
wink.gif

-Ed

Sep 5, 2007 at 8:24 PM Post #27 of 83
I'll agree with that, I actually did really enjoy that one section of the first Halo titled "Final Run", that was one of my favorite parts.

Sep 5, 2007 at 8:33 PM Post #28 of 83
I suppose it's all a moot point anyways, as I just got my 4th Xbox back from repairs, and it has a note in it, saying it was "tampered with and not fixed" What the heck is that?

Sep 5, 2007 at 8:37 PM Post #29 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by RedLeader /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I suppose it's all a moot point anyways, as I just got my 4th Xbox back from repairs, and it has a note in it, saying it was "tampered with and not fixed" What the heck is that?

I think they are claiming that it was opened up previously or modded in some way, voiding the warranty.

-Ed

Sep 5, 2007 at 8:44 PM Post #30 of 83
yea, thats what I thought, but I bought it new and no one has touched it. Well except for MS, they kept sending me new boxes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back