Halloween Movie Fright List
Oct 28, 2002 at 5:23 PM Post #31 of 47
Quote:

Originally posted by DarkAngel
I still say regardless of which F13 you choose the original Nightmare on Elm St is much better and more original.

understandable. there have been big debates over which is better, but it really just comes down to taste. both are great horror series. is anyone else excited for jason vs. freddy?
biggrin.gif

Quote:

In defense of F13-2 I heard the movie was heavily edited because it originally was X rated, and to get the R rating it lost much of its impact.

heh, that goes for every single one of the friday the 13th movies actually. there are huge groups of horror fans rallying for uncut versions of the sequels, especially part 7 (www.fridaythe13thfilms.com). my horror fan friend has a vhs copied from the japanese-only laserdisc of the original friday the 13th where there is definitely some extra gore and that was the only version i've seen of it. also, for the interested, jason didn't start wearing a hockey mask until f13-3.
smily_headphones1.gif

it's sad how america's stuff is so censored. "the rules of attraction" is my latest big complaint in this department.

Oct 28, 2002 at 5:39 PM Post #32 of 47
Quote:

Originally posted by KR...
Ok, here is my list! Hurray!
tongue.gif
I own all of these on DVD

Vampire Fun :

Vampyros Lesbos - Not really scary, but what is anyway, no horror flim has ever sacred me. But, it doesn't matter, all that matters is that Soledad Miranda is in it.

For all those who want to meet her: http://www.gay.ru/wolfy/cinema/films...etheragain.jpg

Oct 28, 2002 at 6:32 PM Post #33 of 47
Any votes for stephen king films like pet cemetery or salem's lot? Even better is the shining. Remember jack crashing through the door with an axe to kill his wife or how about the two little girls as the kid is riding his tricycle down the hall. I remember that scene giving me the chills when I first saw it. Happy Halloween
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 2, 2002 at 4:33 AM Post #35 of 47
Quote:

Originally posted by KR...
Ok, here is my list! Hurray!
tongue.gif
I own all of these on DVD

Vampire Fun :

Vampyros Lesbos - Not really scary, but what is anyway, no horror flim has ever sacred me. But, it doesn't matter, all that matters is that Soledad Miranda is in it. Trippy vampire fun!

well, i just picked up Vampyros Lesbos tonite at best buy. it was in the 'special interest' section right next to the playboy DVD's.

it's utterly fantastic! i'm blown away with Soledad Miranda .

certainly Vampyros Lesbos is one of my new favorites.
biggrin.gif

download the 4.17 MB trailer of Vampyros Lesbos here.
6305334730.01.LZZZZZZZ.gif

Nov 2, 2002 at 5:06 AM Post #36 of 47
I saw The Ring on Halloween night with my wife, and it was easily the scariest movie I have ever seen. I normally do not get scared at movies. Shining? Kinda cool. Blair Witch? A little creepy (didn't want to go camping in Maryland for a while). Sixth Sense? Not really too scared. Exorcist? Cool special effects. The Ring? OMG I almost shat my pants.

I had nightmares last night.

My wife too.

And the cats too.
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

Nov 2, 2002 at 9:24 PM Post #37 of 47
Requiem for a Dream is easily the scariest movie I have ever seen. Im not really scared by physical pain, grotesque mutilation, angry spirtual energy (or the anticipation of these) but this movie had me uncomfortable to the point of wanting to pause it to go outside and smoke a cigarette. I ordered this thing on dvd the day after I saw it. Its a definite must see, if only once.

Nov 4, 2002 at 3:13 AM Post #38 of 47
Late, but here's a couple off the top of my head:

Fun: Return of the Living Dead, From Dusk Til Dawn

Classic: Halloween (both 1 and 2)

Truly scary: Prince of Darkness (could not sleep that night)

Creative: the Hellraiser series

Excellent: Pitch Black, though less scary, more "suspense"

On the Nightmare on Elm Street's: the first one was astoundingly good; the 3rd one had a surprisingly good plot. See the second for continuity's sake.

Friday the 13th -- don't know, but heard the first one is a classic. The rest are only any good if you're into the "slasher" (body count) genre, which I'm not. I either want to be scared or entertained. I saw a scene from one of the later Friday the 13th's, and was just plain repulsed. That's not meant to be a criticism, just not my cup of teat.

Oct 21, 2003 at 4:18 AM Post #40 of 47
I was just thinking about what to do for halloween, my plan is to eat junk food and watch horror flicks
very_evil_smiley.gif

The plan is to watch these three movies back to back to back:

City of the Living Dead
Cannibal Holocaust
The Beyond

It's shall be a long friday night
evil_smiley.gif

I need to get some new horror DVDs...

Here is the most wanted DVD list :

Stacy (2001)
Premutos - Lord of the Living Dead (1997)
Zombi 2 (1980)
House by the Cemetery (1981)
Cannibal Ferox (A.K.A. Make Them Die Slowly) (1983)
Versus (Special Edition) (2001)
Begotten (1991)
Suspiria (3 Disc Limited Edition) (1977)
Tenebre (1987)
Demons (1986)
The Devil's Backbone (2001)
Thesis (1996)

and the list goes on and on...

Oct 21, 2003 at 4:36 AM Post #41 of 47
Really, if I truly want to be scared ****less, I play Silent Hill 1 or 3. That does it pretty well.

The Ring keeps playing on our campus movie station. I try to refrain from watching again and again for fear that halfway through the night I'll accidentally turn on the TV to a staticy channel and promptly soil myself.

The Halloween and F13 movies were never ones I found that scary, really. Too predictable for me, especially because both telegraph which people are going to be killed within a few minutes of their demise. At least you get to see some nice body shots in them occasionally (gotta love how they got a Playboy bunny for one of the first Halloweens).

Oct 21, 2003 at 4:55 AM Post #42 of 47
The Haunting (1963 version) - Good, and lots of implied scare, none of the explicit carp with Liam Neson) I think this is the only movie that's really scared me.

For fun, I love any Evil Dead movie ("Groovy"), also Reanimator is HILARIOUS (and classic, with a headless zombie doing his thang).

Shock Corridor is about a crazy house, (for those who've seen it "Nymphos!...")

And old German Expressionist "Cabinet of Dr. Caligari" Is just a great silent film. Scary, great visuals, good stuff.

Ooh, one more. Bride of Frakenstein - funny, sad, not very scary, but one of my favorite films (and one of the rare cases where a sequal is better than the first), and Halloween themed.

Redshifter, once again has good tastes. I'd just like to give a second reco for "The Thing."

Oct 21, 2003 at 4:11 PM Post #45 of 47
The Serpent and the Rainbow Directed by Wes Craven

"A Harvard anthropologist (Bill Pullman- Independance Day) is catapulted into the world of voodoo when he is reluctantly sent on a journey to Haiti. He is sent to find a mystic powder with the power to heal and to make the dead walk. Being a man of science he is highly sceptical on the stories of the power of this powder. On his journey he befriends a beautiful psychiatrist (Cathy Tyson- Mona Lisa/Band of Gold) who aids him on his search, and is also a convienient love interest. He raises the suspicions of the head of the evil secret police in Haiti. The secret police chief is aware of the powder's abilities, and already uses the power of the powder for his own dubious purposes. As he gets closer to the source of the powder he starts to question his own sanity. He witnesses the strange and bizarre, in the form of walking Zombies, Blood Rites and Curses. There are many chilling scenes of live burial and voodoo pratices.

Full of intense imagery and a well written plot The Serpent and the Rainbow is, in my opinion, a largely unrecognised classic. This is one movie that has to be watched more than once to be able to appreciate the true feeling of this tale. "

A short review I found. This is the only movie I have ever seen that gave me nightmares.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back