Half-decent IEMs for the Gym and Running
Jun 1, 2009 at 9:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

lbholde

Head-Fier
My depodded IM716s finally died (may they rest in peace)
frown.gif
and I need a new pair of IEMs for the gym and for running. I have Etymotic er-4ps which I love, but the microphonics are too great, and plus I'm afraid to ruin them with sweat, etc.

I have also used er-6is, and of course the IM716s, and liked them both. What I want is:

- Good sound blocking (I know it's not safe for running but I'll take the risk)
- Low-to-medium microphonics
- Decent sound. Doesn't have to be mind blowing, just good. If the sound is "almost as good" as the er-6is or IM716s I'd be thrilled.

I'll be using them with my old Samsung T9, if that matters.

I'd like to keep the price to around $30 US or less. Any suggestions?

Jun 1, 2009 at 11:04 PM Post #3 of 10
It seems like the most renowned IEM's in the $30 range are the PL30 by Soundmagic (head-direct.com). I haven't heard them, and can't comment on microphonics, but there is lots of commentary in this forum about them.

Jun 2, 2009 at 12:32 AM Post #5 of 10
i use jvc marshmallows for the gym, they are very cheap, around 15$. However they isolate a lot, and may be dangerous if you are running on the road.

Jun 2, 2009 at 2:27 AM Post #6 of 10
+1 for the pl30s, and they are only $21 shipped from mp4nation ($18 yesterday but the deal has expired). They also stay in very well for running - far better than a few other IEM's ive had because they are very light. They also come with ear hooks as well as a bunch of tips.

Jun 2, 2009 at 4:11 AM Post #8 of 10
The sound is very good imo. While the KSC75s are much more open (wider soundstage, etc), the pl30s are just as accurate and have a great punch when sealed properly. The isolation is decent. I can take the bus (natural gas powered-ugh) and not hear much of anything at all - no engine noise, no crazy people singing - at the upper end of my comfortable volume spectrum. I have found that the biflange tips isolate most, but are least comfortable, so I just use the stock silicone ones. The included foamies are somewhere inbetween. I will get comply tips someday for better isolation.

Jun 2, 2009 at 11:19 PM Post #9 of 10
I just read through a couple of headfi threads on these IEMs, and the reviews sound great. They sound like a steal at $21 shipped, so I ordered them. I'll post back and give my impressions. Thanks guys!!
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back