Half Bud, Half IEM?
Oct 27, 2005 at 3:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

kwitel

Headphoneus Supremus
Anyone know anything about these:
http://cgi.ebay.com/SONY-Fontopia-Ea...QQcmdZViewItem
They look like buds, but have a small piece that goes into the ear-canal-probably increasing isolation and bass response?
Been looking for good buds...was gonna go with the AKG k14p, but heard the bass is non existent.
Also, does anyone make a bud with a normal "y" shaped wire anymore? Cant stand that thing you have to wrap around your neck...

Oct 27, 2005 at 4:03 AM Post #2 of 6
They were sold in Canada a couple of years ago. People said
they had bass, but didn't say much else about them. They were
uncomfortable to some people due to the harder materials they used back then.

I saw them awhile back on "audiocubes.com". They may still carry them. If
they still carry them, they will probably have user comments on them.

They are the MDR-ED31. They came out in 2003, 2 years ago.

Oct 27, 2005 at 4:06 AM Post #3 of 6
i wouldn't call them IEMs...

just earbuds with weird shape.. my fd used to own a pair of those, not realli good, just strong base as above poster...

one of the idea of IEMs are to isolate sound and I don't see them doing that in any sense...and it's either hit or miss, if your ears are not shaped like how they intended, u will haf a hard time fittin them

Oct 27, 2005 at 4:06 AM Post #4 of 6
thanx alpha-gonna check it out now.
They ca be had for about $15-prob. worth a try.

Oct 27, 2005 at 4:20 AM Post #5 of 6
These have been sold in the UK for ages now. They're rubbish. Decent amount of bass because of the bit that sticks in your ear, but it's all nasty and boomy. Highs and mids are nothing to write home about. The EX71s were a massive improvement on these, and I can't stand EX71s anymore.

EDIT - Just noticed that we're talking about two different models in this thread. These comments relate to the ED21, I've not heard the ED31.

Oct 27, 2005 at 4:33 AM Post #6 of 6
I had a pair of those - picked them up in an airport - and they were the most uncomfortable pair of headphones I have ever worn. I couldn't even tell how the sound quality was because they hurt so bad. Steer clear of them, IMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back