Hajo Headphone Enhancing Software for Mac OSX
Jan 27, 2015 at 1:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

TheNoose

100+ Head-Fier
HI there Head Fiers

Has anyone tried this little package:

http://www.hajoheadphone.com/virtual-5.1-surround-sound-with-hajo-s-hedphone-enhancer-on-mac-os-x.html?gclid=CLjVss3YtMMCFWSWtAodEGwAAQ

Here's his promo description:

My headphone enhancer software simulates the way that sound coming from different directions naturally reflects when it hits your ear cups. Since that always happens in real life, your brain has learned to estimate the direction of a sound from the arrangement of these reflections.

That's the short explanation why this works on a psychological level. If you want to learn
how virtual surround sound works programmatically, just follow the link to my blog.

Hajo's Headphone Enhancer is a small Mac app
that will integrate into the operating system to enable you to
listen to 5.1 surround sound over regular headphones.
 ​
It's called "Hajo's Headphone Enhancer" because my name is Hajo and first and foremost I built this app because I wanted to use it for myself :) It's called headphone enhancer because in addition to the 5.1 surround sound virtualization, it will also make electronic/dance/club music sound better :)

Learn more about Hajo's Headphone Enhancer and all its features

Since I built this app for myself so I could enjoy movies in all their cinema glory while sitting on the train, I made sure that it works with all the players that I regularly use. So you can rest assured that my software will work exceptionally well for:

- listening to electronic music in iTunes on your mac with headhones
- watching iTunes rental movies with headhones  in 5.1 virtual surround sound on your mac
- using VLC to watch MKV or MP4 movies with virtual surround sound
- watching videos on YouTube with Google Chrome
- discovering new artists on SoundCloud

Or at least, that's what I use this software for almost daily. So if any of that breaks, you'll probably get an update from me very quickly... because I want the update myself!

I'd say hearing is believing :wink: I deliberately made it very easy to install and remove the trial version, which you can download for free and (also for free) use as long as you want. So please try this out, so you can hear for yourself how much more amazing your movies can sound on headphones :)

My quick take:

I don't get 5.1 sound from standard MP#-FLAC Sources, but eh, nice equaliser settings are enhancing bottom end production nicely when playing jazz in FLAC mode. MBA with Mac OSX-Mavericks actually...and the sound is better perhaps than my FiiO E06.

Aug 24, 2015 at 12:08 AM Post #2 of 3
A bit late to responding to this, but this is one of the best 5.1 surround sound emulations out there. 

I've tried the Rappr app by http://dysonics.com but found when using external DACs it produced distortion. Also, the bass was far too enhanced on Rappr.

Hajo's Headphone Enhancer seems as if it is built by someone who truly loves headphones. The presets are very good, and using the large headphone preset with my LCD2 to watch cinema is excellent. It is all very clean, no distortion. 

I think a lot of head-fiers would be impressed by this.

http://hajoheadphone.com/

Aug 24, 2015 at 12:22 AM Post #3 of 3
8 months later I've been using on my Mac Book Air, I am using it permanently now, as it significantly enhances my listening experience. Period.
basshead.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back