HAHAHAHAHA Death to antipiracy CDs
Dec 4, 2001 at 12:30 AM Post #16 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by KR...
I would never buy them knowning that their were copy protected, but how are we as music fans suppose to know that ahead of time?

Exactly the point made above, how can we know...we wont until we try to make a cdigital copy, either cd, MD, or onto your PC.

George

Dec 4, 2001 at 3:15 PM Post #17 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by KR...
I would never buy them knowning that their were copy protected, but how are we as music fans suppose to know that ahead of time?

Try following this page.

Regarding quality reissues, I also heartily recommend Classic Records.

Dec 4, 2001 at 4:27 PM Post #18 of 25
Most people here seem to be saying that, if they knew which CD's were copy-protected, they wouldn't buy them. Actually, if you want to stop copy-protection, you should buy them - and then return them. This is the best way to end copy protection. It takes a surprisingly small number of returns to force a cancellation. They can't afford getting more than a small percentage of returns. When BMG first tried copy-protection, they had to cancel it because of the number of returns. If I was doing it, I would make sure that I buy them locally and with cash (as opposed to using a credit card) so that I couldn't be traced.

Dec 5, 2001 at 12:23 AM Post #19 of 25
If you use a credit card you generally get a little more buyer protection. Check your cards.

If I take one home and try to make a copy of any kind for any reason, I will definitely take it back. I may even start making copies on CDR/Ws just to check.

These axx holes held up SACD and DVD-A because of copy issues, they've managed to cripple the players by not having digital outs, just analog which means your stuck with the DACs that come in your player.

It's all greed and BS and greed and extortion and greed and did I mention greed?

Piracy is a problem, although it's a far greater problem in the orient than anywhere else. Their laws protect, or at least ignore, the pirates. We pay the penalties.

Watch congress. There's some really nasty legislation pending too. I'll try and get back with more on the bills.

Dec 5, 2001 at 8:14 AM Post #20 of 25
As opposit to general believe, piracy actually boots the sales of Microsoft products. After all, it's a free marketing ad.

Dec 5, 2001 at 8:44 PM Post #21 of 25
Here's an idea. Offer CDs with a list price of $6.99 instead of $16.99 and maybe more people will buy them instead of "stealing" them. You'll sell more, make more money and more people will be happy.

Dec 5, 2001 at 8:57 PM Post #22 of 25
There is only one good thing about any of this. You can go back to the store and return the open package and say that obviously you couldn't have done a burn because it was copy-protected CD, and that it didn't work on your system (even if it might of).

The ability to return crappy music is also something that should be allowed, especially if CD is so versatile and robust as they say.

The Microsoft argument isn't exactly working for me. It is true that it helped them become "standardized", but standardization is less of an issue with music...well at least non-pop music.
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
Woops there I go with Pop bashing again.

Anyhow these CD-protection schemes are entirely stupid. The reason is much like software-engineering rules. It is like you have created a final production system for years...and now want to go back and change the requirements specification for the system. It boils down to costly, risky, specification oversight that definitely isn't going to be that simple to correct. This is also the strong impetus to create new projects and specifications, i.e. DVD-A/SACD.

Dec 5, 2001 at 9:55 PM Post #23 of 25
One of the worst parts of the greed involved in CD marketing, is, you can buy Cassettes for $6.99 as opposed to CD's for $16.99. Tapes cost more to produce per copy than CD's.

Just more greedy rip-off s**t.

Dec 8, 2001 at 3:15 AM Post #24 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF
I also like her a lot. I bought "Woah Nelly!" about a year or so ago (right when it came out) and loved

Mmmh. Sorry Mac, that's Nelly Furtado, not Natalie Embruglia, Imbruglio or whatever her last name is.

Dec 8, 2001 at 3:17 AM Post #25 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF
OMG! LOL! I totally misread the first thread -- I though we were talking about NF!
wink.gif
OK, ignore my post completely. I would delete it, but then thomas would look silly
wink.gif

I have to apologize Mac, didn't read the whole thread. Sory, sorry, sorry. I am a bad boy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back