HagUSB or USB Freeway 2?
Aug 21, 2007 at 2:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

jlingo

500+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for a great computer source. I find that HagUSB is only about USD$100 and Freeway 2 like USD$600.-

Does anyone have listened to both to compare? Does Freeway 2 sound 6x better? Does it justify the cost?

I will be using them with m902 DAC.

Aug 21, 2007 at 2:50 PM Post #2 of 17
I'd like to know the same thing, especially evaluation of the Freeway 2.

One thing I do know is that the HagUSB cannot process 24/96 per se via USB but downconverts it to 16/44.1 and the Freeway can.

Aug 22, 2007 at 1:38 AM Post #3 of 17
I compared HagUSB to Freeway I, and the latter is better at the higher price, of course. It also has 2 other advantages:

1. It supports ASIO dll via Foobar, which to me sounds better than ASIO4ALL all else being equal. HagUSB doesn't support ASIO dll but will work with ASIO4ALL.

2. An external PS (not USB bus) can be used, such as a DIY 12V SLA battery, which is what makes the biggest difference for SQ.

But HagUSB does sound great with ASIO4ALL and a bargain at its price also..

Aug 22, 2007 at 2:02 AM Post #5 of 17
I would sell the m902 and use the money to fund a DAC1 USB purchase. This way you save on the digital cable and I'm sure the DAC1 is going to sound better than Freeway+m902. The whole thing about jitter is dubious at best anyway.

Aug 22, 2007 at 2:04 AM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by n4k33n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HagUSB wont do 24 bit though. I'd get an M-Audio Transit

Yeah if it comes down to Hag or the Transit I'd go with the Transit. You also get a very nice line-out with the Transit as well. By the way, didn't the Hag used to sell for ~$30?

Aug 22, 2007 at 10:54 AM Post #7 of 17
I installed ASIO4ALL, but How do we know whether it's working properly? I don't hear any sound difference after installing ASIO4ALL. Thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I compared HagUSB to Freeway I, and the latter is better at the higher price, of course. It also has 2 other advantages:

1. It supports ASIO dll via Foobar, which to me sounds better than ASIO4ALL all else being equal. HagUSB doesn't support ASIO dll but will work with ASIO4ALL.

2. An external PS (not USB bus) can be used, such as a DIY 12V SLA battery, which is what makes the biggest difference for SQ.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dept_of_Alchemy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah if it comes down to Hag or the Transit I'd go with the Transit. You also get a very nice line-out with the Transit as well. By the way, didn't the Hag used to sell for ~$30?

Aug 22, 2007 at 11:19 AM Post #8 of 17
I quickly compared the Transit and the HagUSB once and the HagUSB was giving me better sound quality for sure. Now, if it was me, I would also go with selling the m902 and getting a DAC that has a USB input built-in like Apogee, Benchmark and BelCanto...

Aug 22, 2007 at 1:57 PM Post #9 of 17
Actually I have found the solution.
I installed foobar2000 and ASIO4ALL and resulting in DRAMATIC SOUND IMPROVEMENTS!! I no longer need HagUSB nor Transit nor Freeway
biggrin.gif

I can't believe ASIO could really make a huge difference like that.
My iTunes sounds very dark, constricted in comparison.

Aug 22, 2007 at 4:52 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dept_of_Alchemy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
By the way, didn't the Hag used to sell for ~$30?

The "half kit" sells for $40 which is the board and chip with instructions only. I don't recall if it was ever cheaper than that.

Aug 22, 2007 at 6:03 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The Freeway 2 is a totally different animal than the original Freeway, with the new "driverless" firmware and improved low-jitter clock. The Freeway was a modded Transit. The Freeway 2 is a custom design from scratch. Much, much better.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

Aug 22, 2007 at 7:11 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by jlingo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually I have found the solution.
I installed foobar2000 and ASIO4ALL and resulting in DRAMATIC SOUND IMPROVEMENTS!! I no longer need HagUSB nor Transit nor Freeway
biggrin.gif

I can't believe ASIO could really make a huge difference like that.
My iTunes sounds very dark, constricted in comparison.

Good, so how does it now compare to your Imod?

Aug 22, 2007 at 11:41 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Loftprojection /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good, so how does it now compare to your Imod?

hahaha foobar2000(ASIO) is much much better!!!
smily_headphones1.gif

iMOD is great in terms of Euphonicity, but Foobar/ASIO is not only Euphonic, it is also the rich, refinement, attack, dynamic, transparency, openness. The Funny thing is the sibilance disappeared. Now, I could actually listen to GS1000 with m902, made me want to tap my toe. It's that involving.

Before that, I found the detail and dynamic was great but sounded lifeless, the midrange was also lifeless, very sterile, dry. iMOD has a sweetness to it making music more pleasurable. Foobar2000/ASIO4ALL raised the bar even higher, even better detail, even better dynamic, by a lot too, with midrange sweetness as a bonus.

I couldn't imagine how it would sound if Freeway 2 raised the bar even higher! or Much BETTER. Perhaps, Audioengr(Steve N.) could provide some of his insights.
biggrin.gif

Aug 23, 2007 at 4:58 AM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by jlingo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hahaha foobar2000(ASIO) is much much better!!!
smily_headphones1.gif

iMOD is great in terms of Euphonicity, but Foobar/ASIO is not only Euphonic, it is also the rich, refinement, attack, dynamic, transparency, openness. The Funny thing is the sibilance disappeared. Now, I could actually listen to GS1000 with m902, made me want to tap my toe. It's that involving.

Before that, I found the detail and dynamic was great but sounded lifeless, the midrange was also lifeless, very sterile, dry. iMOD has a sweetness to it making music more pleasurable. Foobar2000/ASIO4ALL raised the bar even higher, even better detail, even better dynamic, by a lot too, with midrange sweetness as a bonus.

I couldn't imagine how it would sound if Freeway 2 raised the bar even higher! or Much BETTER. Perhaps, Audioengr(Steve N.) could provide some of his insights.
biggrin.gif

Jitter reduction is the main benefit. The audible difference is more detail, clarity, less sibilance and improved dynamics.

Every time I thought I had gotten the jitter to be so low as to not be audible, I invent something else that lowers the jitter some more and the difference is always audible. The latest of these is the Pace-Car reclocker. Now that's low jitter.

Steve N.

Aug 23, 2007 at 5:18 AM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by audioengr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Jitter reduction is the main benefit. The audible difference is more detail, clarity, less sibilance and improved dynamics.

Every time I thought I had gotten the jitter to be so low as to not be audible, I invent something else that lowers the jitter some more and the difference is always audible. The latest of these is the Pace-Car reclocker. Now that's low jitter.

Steve N.

Hmm That's temping
smily_headphones1.gif
the wait time of freeway 2 that is not temping hehe.

I am so lucky no problem with clicking nor popping whatsoever. I guess Async system in Audigy NX helps a lot.

I just couldnt how coul foobar and ASIO4all made a dramatic improvements to my syste where Others only hear subtle difference. :/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back