Hacking a USB Bluetooth dongle
Apr 21, 2013 at 5:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Liver

500+ Head-Fier
Is it possible to provide power and signal to a USB Bluetooth dongle and pair it to headphones? Basically supply the 5 volts and then the stereo signal (left / right).

Or does the USB dongle require a computer signal?

Apr 21, 2013 at 9:46 PM Post #2 of 11
it would take a bit more work than that. bluetooth dongles are meant to be used with a computer os. you would want something more like this
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10268

but keep in mind bluetooth  technically is a digital signal. you would need an analog digital converter in the headphones to convert the digital signal back to analog. this would also likely mean you would need an amplifier on the receiving end. 

another thing to consider is that a bluetooth device like this only has an rx and a tx pin. meaning it can send and receive data at the same time, but only one signal each. you would need a way to multiplex the left and right channels of the audio together before sending, and a way to demultiplex it upon arrival. another note about bluetooth, its likely that it would sound pretty bad.

this is certainly doable, but the results may or may not be less than desirable. if you have any other questions about bluetooth, or anything i am discussing in this post, i would be more than happy to elaborate.

Apr 21, 2013 at 11:30 PM Post #3 of 11
Quote:
it would take a bit more work than that. bluetooth dongles are meant to be used with a computer os. you would want something more like this
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10268

but keep in mind bluetooth  technically is a digital signal. you would need an analog digital converter in the headphones to convert the digital signal back to analog. this would also likely mean you would need an amplifier on the receiving end. 

another thing to consider is that a bluetooth device like this only has an rx and a tx pin. meaning it can send and receive data at the same time, but only one signal each. you would need a way to multiplex the left and right channels of the audio together before sending, and a way to demultiplex it upon arrival. another note about bluetooth, its likely that it would sound pretty bad.

this is certainly doable, but the results may or may not be less than desirable. if you have any other questions about bluetooth, or anything i am discussing in this post, i would be more than happy to elaborate.

Thanks.  Looks like a dead project from my end.  Way too much for me.

I was wanting to have a device like this.  I currently have it and it is not working quite well.  Looks like I'll keep looking.  Its for a home theater solution, for convenience.  Thanks

Apr 22, 2013 at 1:05 AM Post #4 of 11
glad to help. its possible there is something commercially available that can achieve this. im interested in this idea though. if you dont mind, i may take this on as a project. 

May 29, 2013 at 5:49 AM Post #5 of 11
Hey Guys,

I was wondering if this can be done with a bluetooth Headphones. I have Nokia Bluetooth headset, I want to convert them to a bluetooth receiver. Attach 3.5mm jack to it and connect it to a speaker or use it in the car etc. Is it possible to do that? 

Please let me know if you have any inputs on this. 

Thanks. 

Jul 28, 2013 at 10:05 PM Post #6 of 11
that should be quite possible. if you have the model name of the headset, i can see if i can find any information on it. the bluetooth reciever in the headset will output a digital signal into a dac and an amplifier contained in the headset. it should be as simple as wiring up a 3.5mm female connector, but id have to look into the specs of the headset to be sure.

Jul 30, 2013 at 9:35 AM Post #7 of 11
Hi Kchapdaily,

The model is Nokia Bh 213, I understand that it doesn't support A2DP hence I think it doesn't make any sense for me to do this exercise. I cant stream Music through this, would be able to take only calls I guess. Let me know your thoughts on this. 

Jul 30, 2013 at 6:28 PM Post #8 of 11
at the very least, the device is mono. so that is not ideal. it would be possible to harvest the bluetooth module, but like ive said in previous posts, this would make for a sizeable project.

Jan 2, 2014 at 1:57 PM Post #9 of 11
Just in case anyone wants closure on this, Bluetooth Headsets use the HEADSET service which is a low quality, mono connection.  To DIY bluetooth headphones you need a module that supports Bluetooth AUDIO SINK and preferable A/V REMOTE CONTROL.

I am working on this and will post DIY details soon.  It involves using a module like this:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Wireless-Bluetooth-Audio-Music-Receiver-3-5mm-A2DP-For-iPod-iPad-iPhone-MP3-PC-/290920955046?pt=Other_Tablet_eReader_Accessories&hash=item43bc3d7ca6

Which is based on an OVC3860 chip and has a built in battery.  The one I got sounds like crap though so don't buy it until I figure out the mods.

Jan 2, 2014 at 3:13 PM Post #10 of 11
Jan 4, 2014 at 5:45 PM Post #11 of 11
The easiest way would be just to buy a low-end dollar shop Bluetooth headphone, then use the internal circuitry and wiring. Since it's already designed to be used as a portable device, with a Li-ion and all, it should be heaps easy. It has everything - form factor, media controls, A2DP, a headset profile and a microphone! No need to mess with an expensive Bluetooth Modem, because these headphones typically cost $20-$30.

O3wZaTA.jpg

GuNF6R2.jpg

maKAA3L.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back