HA-5000 or SinglePower PPX3-6SN7/Extreme
Dec 22, 2006 at 7:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

CaseJ

100+ Head-Fier
Well i was about to pull the trigger on the HA-5000 amp to be paired with some AT-W5000 and i wasnt sure if maybe the new Single Power extreme $999 amp or a used PPX3-6SN7 would be a better amp for those headphones. If you had to choose between the 3 which would you choose?

Dec 22, 2006 at 12:35 PM Post #2 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by CaseJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well i was about to pull the trigger on the HA-5000 amp to be paired with some AT-W5000 and i wasnt sure if maybe the new Single Power extreme $999 amp or a used PPX3-6SN7 would be a better amp for those headphones. If you had to choose between the 3 which would you choose?

The Extreme is only $899 during the pre-order period. I would definitley choose the Extreme over the PPX3-6SN7 for a low impedence headphone like the W5000. The PPX3 SLAM was the class of the <$1000 amps .... IMO .... and the Extreme is even better.

Dec 22, 2006 at 5:03 PM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by CaseJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks man. Do tube amps really sound that different? I wonder which will be the better amp for those headphones.Also are tube amps newb friendly?

Tube amps definitely sound different than solid state. Moreover, different tube types .... or even tube brands of the same type sound different too. Tube amps can be a little daunting at first but you soon get comfortable with handling tubes. But nothing beats the ability to tuberoll an amp to get just the sound you like. With the SP amps they can use many different tube types .... and equally as important .... the tubes are inexpensive so you can afford to buy them. The SP sound quality is first rate period and this new Extreme amp is an unbelieveable buy.

Check out this basic tube amp setup guide I wrote specifically for newbs .....

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=210215

Dec 22, 2006 at 5:29 PM Post #5 of 13
I don't have any experience with Extreme...but I say go with one of the most versatile (tube) amp in on the planet
icon10.gif

Dec 23, 2006 at 6:48 AM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tube amps definitely sound different than solid state. Moreover, different tube types .... or even tube brands of the same type sound different too. Tube amps can be a little daunting at first but you soon get comfortable with handling tubes. But nothing beats the ability to tuberoll an amp to get just the sound you like. With the SP amps they can use many different tube types .... and equally as important .... the tubes are inexpensive so you can afford to buy them. The SP sound quality is first rate period and this new Extreme amp is an unbelieveable buy.

Check out this basic tube amp setup guide I wrote specifically for newbs .....

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=210215

I'm new to tube amps.. My BADA12 is my first, & for the price am extremly pleased.. They mate great wit my SA5000.. The extreme looks temping.. But I still want a 800-1,000 SS amp too.. I would like one Tube & one SS amp.. I have a small room & don't need 3-4 amps..

Dec 23, 2006 at 7:09 AM Post #9 of 13
Ive just recieved an mpx3 and the natural sound and realism is blowing away my GS-1. granted its a fair bit more expensive, but it seems tubes add that extra something, including amazing detail that isnt thrown at you, just presented if you want to hear it.

i cannot recommend highly enough moving to a SP tube amp, if only to see what the fuss is about. my wait was a long one, but it has been clearly worth it to me.

Dec 23, 2006 at 1:49 PM Post #10 of 13
Hi I have used the W5k with a PPX-6SN7 SLAM in the past. It was a wonderful combo, totally musical, but resolving all the same. One word of advice though; the W5k are super sensitive, and any (I mean ANY) noise from the amp will be heard, be it static produced by some NOS tubes, ever so slight transformer hum. That goes for noise both in the signal path, as well as ambient noise. For the latter, I think the W5k's ebony cups are partly to blame. I suggest you talk to Mikhail about adjusting gain and possibly a few other treatments he's got up his sleeve. Then get ready for a real treat. :)

Dec 23, 2006 at 3:15 PM Post #13 of 13
I have. I heard slwiser's HA5000 during our micro meet at my house. Here is a link to that micro-meet where we had lot of AT cans and some well known amps: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=202328

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone in this thread even heard the W5000 with the HA5000?

Best regards,

-Jason

Users who are viewing this thread

Back