H5 left channel "scratching"
Jun 23, 2007 at 7:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Henmyr

1000+ Head-Fier
I have had my h5 for a long while now, and for maybe half of that time, the left channel have had some "scratching". It sounds like a buzz but only for a short while (less than a second) at the time, but it continues irregularly. It buzzes even tho the amp is not plugged in to a source and it can be heard through many headphones. Is this usual and is there an easy fix for it? Maybe something is loose?

It can be heard in silent parts of the music and gets annoying when there is only supposed to be a cello or fiddle playing. The amount of volume on the headfive does not change the volume of the buzz.

EDIT: It can even be heard when the volume is zero.

Jun 23, 2007 at 7:47 AM Post #2 of 4
I wouldn't say that's normal, I've had one since the first batch was sent out, and I don't have any noise. Have you tried a different power cord, and do you have it plugged directly into the wall or is there a surge protector? Also where is the amp located, do you have it setting on top of a computer or around anything that can introduce interference?

Jun 23, 2007 at 7:52 AM Post #3 of 4
Dear Henmyr,

The LM6171 opamp used is one of the best sounding available but it has one drawback. Sometimes (but very rarely) it indeed develops some buzzing or scratchy sound. For this reason the opamp has been socketed and can be very easily replaced. Just drop me an e-mail and I will send you new opamps and instructions on how to do the exchange. It really is a very simple procedure.

Cheers

Jan

Jun 23, 2007 at 8:06 AM Post #4 of 4
Thanks for the fast reply
smily_headphones1.gif

I have sent Jan an email and I hope that an op-amp change will solve the problem, and it probably will.

Henmyr

Users who are viewing this thread

Back