h10 or ipod mini?
Jun 21, 2005 at 3:07 PM Post #3 of 18
You really need to give more info to help those help you. Contrary to popular belief around these parts, Apple, iRiver, Creative, iAudio, etc. make great sounding players. It's like asking if Sennheiser or Grado headphones has better "audio quality". It seems pretty clear to me it's Senn, but to many others it seems just as clearly Grado.

So tell us what music genres you usually listen to, what headphones you might considering using with them, if you'll use an amp, if you notice highs or lows lacking when they do, if you prefer a smooth or dynamic sound, etc. Assuming the H10 and iPod mini both sound pretty decent (and I think that's a fair assumption) those answers** will help decide which is preferable for you.

[size=xx-small]** Along with other features the player has like EQ, codec support, etc. that also influences sound quality.[/size]

Jun 21, 2005 at 3:36 PM Post #4 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx
You really need to give more info to help those help you. Contrary to popular belief around these parts, Apple, iRiver, Creative, iAudio, etc. make great sounding players. It's like asking if Sennheiser or Grado headphones has better "audio quality". It seems pretty clear to me it's Senn, but to many others it seems just as clearly Grado.

So tell us what music genres you usually listen to, what headphones you might considering using with them, if you'll use an amp, if you notice highs or lows lacking when they do, if you prefer a smooth or dynamic sound, etc. Assuming the H10 and iPod mini both sound pretty decent (and I think that's a fair assumption) those answers** will help decide which is preferable for you.

[size=xx-small]** Along with other features the player has like EQ, codec support, etc. that also influences sound quality.[/size]

I ear alot of electronic & rap music, I don't have good heaphones, that I buy later but not domething with a high price(about 40$), I do notice lackings.

Hope it's help, D - I.

Jun 21, 2005 at 4:08 PM Post #5 of 18
The H10 definitely has a more functional EQ, but it's been shown in some tests which I haven't tried to validate myself that the H10 exhibits a large amount of distortion whenever the EQ is on. I do notice that iRiver made sonic changes in firmware updates too so it may be that it's cured. No idea.

Both the Mini and the H10 have sound that can generally be said to be at least good. I might peg the Mini to be a little better. What concerned me more on the H10 was what I thought I heard in terms of discrepancies in the codec performance, i.e. the way it decoded MP3's.

Both have the 'bass fall-off' that you can search for here, but the H10 with the custom EQ (once again, with the proviso about the distortion) is able to control that loss of bass better, and I think also the H10's fall-off point is better judged.

So generally speaking, Mini = perhaps cleaner, H10 = more adjustable. You should factor in other things in making your choice... they might be more important in the end.

Jun 22, 2005 at 12:14 AM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
The H10 definitely has a more functional EQ, but it's been shown in some tests which I haven't tried to validate myself that the H10 exhibits a large amount of distortion whenever the EQ is on. I do notice that iRiver made sonic changes in firmware updates too so it may be that it's cured. No idea.

Both the Mini and the H10 have sound that can generally be said to be at least good. I might peg the Mini to be a little better. What concerned me more on the H10 was what I thought I heard in terms of discrepancies in the codec performance, i.e. the way it decoded MP3's.

Both have the 'bass fall-off' that you can search for here, but the H10 with the custom EQ (once again, with the proviso about the distortion) is able to control that loss of bass better, and I think also the H10's fall-off point is better judged.

So generally speaking, Mini = perhaps cleaner, H10 = more adjustable. You should factor in other things in making your choice... they might be more important in the end.

Yeah, the EQ gets really distorted with the H10, but a firmware update fixes it.
cool.gif

Jun 22, 2005 at 5:06 PM Post #11 of 18
pick the one whose interface and features you like the best.

My ipod has better sound quality than my iriver flash player, but the iriver has a more usable eq, allowing you to up the bass better, as most people do.

Jun 22, 2005 at 5:16 PM Post #12 of 18
H10

Jun 22, 2005 at 6:52 PM Post #14 of 18
D - I your not helping yourself. Considering the details you've given, the above posters have already given the best answers possible. What exactly are you looking for? When you've answered that question, you'll find more answers.

Jun 22, 2005 at 7:46 PM Post #15 of 18
As Bangraman had some bad experiences with the H10, I personally had an awful experience with the iPod mini.
The iPod mini was of course, very user-friendly and easy to use, but the thing was it woudn't turn on after I transfered the music. I charged the battery, did some stuff, look up for info on the internet, took it to Futureshop* and asked for help. They couldn't figure it out either. So the player was gone in about 4 hours after the purchase.
Then I bought the H10 (Well after ZM), and I really liked it. I did have a lot of trouble transferring music (Stupid WMP10), but after all, it was all good. And the firmwares fixed many bugs in the player.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back