Gym Phones.
Dec 14, 2008 at 12:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Duffy1207

100+ Head-Fier
I'm getting some new Denon C751's for christmas, and when I took them out of the box to check they were working, I realised they're too heavy to run with, and where the cable joins the earphone seems quite flimsy or prone to wear/snagging. For these reasons I wouldn't want to use them exercising, as I want these to last more than 6 months.

I just want some suggestions on cheap phones to use when running or at the gym.

I listen mainly to rock, hip-hop and a bit of electronic.

Are the sennheiser sport range worth a look (the green ones)?

Or would Koss KSC 35's be any good for running etc?

Dec 14, 2008 at 12:50 AM Post #2 of 14
I would snag a couple KSC75s for $16. If you don't like clip-ons there are plenty of cheap options (like JVC mallows or JBuds J2) that work for in-ear. If you're not worried about bothering people, there's always the PX100 from Sennheiser which are supposed to be pretty light. I've also heard decent things about the Koss SportaPro for working out.

Any way you look at it, the sound quality isn't going to be as good as you'd get out of more expensive phones, but you're going to be a lot better off going this route than ruining your good headphones/IEMs.

Dec 14, 2008 at 1:00 AM Post #3 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Taikero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
but you're going to be a lot better off going this route than ruining your good headphones/IEMs.

Exactly my point.
I'll take a look at them anyway.
Amazon have the KSC75's up for £13 or so, which is pretty darn cheap.
I do have a pair of CX300's that don't sound too bad after going though the washing machine, they were knackered before, but I'm bored with them after owning them for almost a year and a half.

Dec 14, 2008 at 8:35 AM Post #5 of 14
I use my custom Freqshows, stays in my ear and doesn't lose seal even when I stretch out my mouth like a tiger(or python).
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 14, 2008 at 12:36 PM Post #7 of 14
One more thing, I use stock apple buds for running, for some reason they stay in better then the Super fi pro 5 or my Er4ps. I don't use my Freqshows for running because of the sweat. My ears get as wet as they do from just normal wearing.

Dec 14, 2008 at 2:05 PM Post #9 of 14
Think I'll go for the Koss or the sport sennhiesers.
I fancy something new anyway.
I also want at least something to listen to if the Denon's die, and the Koss are meant to be very good for the price.

Dec 14, 2008 at 7:08 PM Post #10 of 14
Would not recommend the Koss for the gym - too open/insecure. They tided me over temporarily - but there's a reason I got my hands on a pair of CX300s...

Is there really such a big difference between the sport senns and the normal non sport versions - they look very similar except some of the sport versions seem to cost ~2x more...

Dec 14, 2008 at 10:15 PM Post #12 of 14
I had a feeling someone was going to say that about the koss.
I might just stick with the CX300's for the gym then, but I do want something new.
Those green senns don't look too, they'd stay in during running, anyway.

Dec 14, 2008 at 10:36 PM Post #13 of 14
I really like the Nuforce NE-8 for their fit. They stay in your ears very well, and don't need readjusting. The cable is strong yet thin, and it includes a clip, so the cord does not fly around when jogging.

I don't like the KSC-75 for running. The clip design isn't tight enough on my ears, so the diaphragms hop on my ears when I jog. It's a real pain to my music quality.

Dec 14, 2008 at 10:55 PM Post #14 of 14
I think I'll avoid the Koss for running at least, though I might get some out of curiousity.

Think I'll just get the green sennhiesers, hardly audiophile material, but when I'm dying of exasution I don't think I'll care too much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back