Guy Movies? Rank and Compare
Apr 15, 2012 at 2:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

notyetknown

New Head-Fier
So I tend to have random discussions in my head a lot, and the topic of last night's dialogue was an internal debate of which was the better guy movie? Fight Club or 300 Just looking at it from the typical "guy's" point of view and primarily considering action sequences -aka Fight Scenes, and story line. Then delving deeper into the cinematography and score of both. Long story short my results are inconclusive. Both films seem pretty eaqually matched in terms of mascuilinity. However in evaluating synopsis they are two different tales and that'd be comparing apples to oranges.

Fight Club is half gritty bone-cracking brute force and half psycological thriller. With the premise of secret organization and the tone of anarchy and a backdrop of a large city, the whole movie is highly enjoyable.

300 is 2 parts slow motion warfare and 1 part historical epic. The largely CGI tale of a King who went for a walk is undoubtedly a heroic legend among box office buffs. Each of the battles was an incredible visual masterpiece and Snyder did a great job of presenting an already amzing period of time.

It's hard to pick one over the other but IMO I would prefer Fight Club because of it's brain bending ending, and rank it chief among other psycological movies like Inception, Memento, and Shutter Island.

Now It's time to hear your opinions! Tell me which you prefer + why AND by all means suggest and rank more! I'd like to see this as an action movie thread unlike the others and stay relavent. Not to disclude women but keep in mind these movies target the male audience. Thanks

Apr 15, 2012 at 6:20 PM Post #4 of 26
OK...I looks like I cast the first actual vote, and I voted for Fight Club.  As an alumnus of the University of Michigan, I can't bring myself to vote for a movie about "Spartans".

What about other choices, like Roadhouse?  Maybe it predates y'all, but it's sort of the prototypical guy movie.

Apr 15, 2012 at 6:36 PM Post #5 of 26

I agree with everything you said here (except about the University of Michigan, because I'm not an alum). 

Roadhouse is a great choice too. So are a lot of other flicks. 300 wasn't that great. By any standards. 
Quote:
OK...I looks like I cast the first actual vote, and I voted for Fight Club.  As an alumnus of the University of Michigan, I can't bring myself to vote for a movie about "Spartans".

What about other choices, like Roadhouse?  Maybe it predates y'all, but it's sort of the prototypical guy movie.

Apr 15, 2012 at 7:57 PM Post #6 of 26
two classic films..
my question to you is would you have knelt or opened a can of wup ass on him?

Apr 16, 2012 at 2:01 PM Post #7 of 26
Ok maybe I could've worded my self better, but for 300 I mean that it's an actual part of history i.e. Sparta and Persia. I know there wasn't magicians and giants or most of the stylized dialogue (in english) but that's only hollywood fantasy and IMO can be expected from todays motion picture studios.
Quote:
If 300 an "historical epic" its either dumb, adolescent or both. Its one saving grace would be its superb depiction of the Persian fleet.

Apr 16, 2012 at 2:23 PM Post #8 of 26

Quote:
Ok maybe I could've worded my self better, but for 300 I mean that it's an actual part of history i.e. Sparta and Persia. I know there wasn't magicians and giants or most of the stylized dialogue (in english) but that's only hollywood fantasy and IMO can be expected from todays motion picture studios.

it was in a copy of a startrek annual years ago..

Apr 16, 2012 at 7:09 PM Post #9 of 26
our martin, I did enjoy seeing The Outsiders as a follow up on reading the book, but I can't really relate to a movie that's supposed to be more relatable. Sorry, but to me it just seems dated and can't effectively stack up against modern big budget blockbusters that appeal to teenagers like me. I haven't seen the original Assault on Precinct 13 but IMO the remake wasn't very good.

On Star Trek, I'll just say it's not my cup of tea. The new one that came out a few years ago was pretty good but not what would consider guy movie material. It seemed more like the Star Wars prequels that were made to profit off childhood facination of lightsabers and didn't really offer much story; I'm not saying the movie sucked but I don't feel like true Trek fan just cause I saw the new movie. Sorry if this is a stupid assertion but I'm just not the kid who grew up watching Star Trek.

Apr 17, 2012 at 12:25 PM Post #10 of 26

This is another classic movie..
Quote:
our martin, I did enjoy seeing The Outsiders as a follow up on reading the book, but I can't really relate to a movie that's supposed to be more relatable. Sorry, but to me it just seems dated and can't effectively stack up against modern big budget blockbusters that appeal to teenagers like me. I haven't seen the original Assault on Precinct 13 but IMO the remake wasn't very good.

On Star Trek, I'll just say it's not my cup of tea. The new one that came out a few years ago was pretty good but not what would consider guy movie material. It seemed more like the Star Wars prequels that were made to profit off childhood facination of lightsabers and didn't really offer much story; I'm not saying the movie sucked but I don't feel like true Trek fan just cause I saw the new movie. Sorry if this is a stupid assertion but I'm just not the kid who grew up watching Star Trek.

heres another one..

and this..

Apr 19, 2012 at 6:25 PM Post #11 of 26
That was a mess about getting these on but if you want to watch them you can..the only decent film apart from the way of the dragon that chuck norris has been in..p.s sorry but i think chapter five is missing and chapter 2 is not in order..

Apr 19, 2012 at 6:50 PM Post #12 of 26
Excuse me sir, have you just compared Fight Club to a bunch of slow-mo half-naked California accent 'Spartans' + an amazonian transgender?
My associates will be with you shortly.

I don't think either of these are the pinacles of cinema. Fight Club is that movie you have to watch when you're 16 and it gives you a great new perspective on life. Then you spend a week looking around and thinking about fighting with people. And then you kind of grow out of it. I still consider it one of the best movies I ever watched and I recommend it to everyone as a must-see.

Apr 19, 2012 at 9:10 PM Post #13 of 26

Quote:
Excuse me sir, have you just compared Fight Club to a bunch of slow-mo half-naked California accent 'Spartans' + an amazonian transgender?
My associates will be with you shortly.

I don't think either of these are the pinacles of cinema. Fight Club is that movie you have to watch when you're 16 and it gives you a great new perspective on life. Then you spend a week looking around and thinking about fighting with people. And then you kind of grow out of it. I still consider it one of the best movies I ever watched and I recommend it to everyone as a must-see.

Sorry if that upset you ^. Appearantly 300 isn't as popular with the head-fi crowd as it is in my graphics design class. And I completely agree with your second paragraph, Guy movies aren't typically what I'd resort to if I was looking for fantastic filmography. But I know exactly what you mean about seeing Fight Club. It's almost like a right of passage, probably one of the first rated R movies I saw way back when I was a kid a few years ago. It just sticks with you. As does 300 for me at least, When it came out, I'd never seen anything like it. Just the presentation of it all made it a very memorable movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back