Gustard X18 ES9038 DAC
Jul 1, 2023 at 5:40 AM Post #91 of 116
After owning the X18 for around half a year or so, all there is to say is that it really is an excellent sounding DAC. Sure, if you are willing to spend drastically more cash, you can find something better sounding. At the 750 US price level though, the X18 is one of the few units out there that just sounds completely correct. There is nothing that is lacking out of the box with this unit. The bass accuracy, imaging, portrayal of instruments, rendering of vocals, soundstaging, and detail retrieval are all just spectacular at this price level. Even after 6 months of ownership, this continues to be the only DAC I have purchased that I am 100% satisfied with.

Jul 1, 2023 at 11:50 AM Post #92 of 116
This is just an update with my X18. Just like Cuthbert 80 and TheR0v3r did, I also ended up doing the fuse upgrade a couple days ago. Upgrading the fuse ended up improving bass tightness and definition. Vocals became noticeably clearer and more up in front in the music. Soundstage width and depth, as well as treble detail and clarity also improved. I highly recommend doing the fuse upgrade.

Do you have a link to the fuse?

Are you based in the US? (ie, does it matter whether your voltage is 115v or 230v?)

How difficult was it to install?

Jul 1, 2023 at 2:13 PM Post #93 of 116
Jul 2, 2023 at 11:00 AM Post #95 of 116
Jul 3, 2023 at 7:46 PM Post #96 of 116
I was considering selling the X18 at some point and grabbing the A26. I am just not going to bother. The X18 already sounds completely correct at the 750 US price point. There really is no need to go any further. I am just going to wait for the new H20 Pro headphone amp to launch, and I will check out the reviews on it. I expect it will make for an excellent choice to pair with the X18.

Oct 4, 2023 at 2:18 AM Post #98 of 116
Last week, I ended up getting an Audio-GD Master 19 headphone amp to pair with my Gustard X18. These 2 units work and sound just excellent together. I am very impressed. My Focal Clear just sounds awesome through these 2 pieces of gear.
Congrats, after reading your review and comments about the Master 19 it seems like an excellent combo :beerchug:

Oct 6, 2023 at 9:32 PM Post #100 of 116
I am having a problem with my X18. I have connected U18 to X18 via I2s and AES
Lately I connected an external clock OCK-2 to U18.
Now when I play via I2s the X18 , the window display UNLOCK which is flashing. The sound is also impacted. Can anyone help me with this. How to solve this and what is the reason for this problem.
How to UNLOCK ?

Jan 14, 2024 at 1:22 AM Post #101 of 116
Back to using the X18. Such a good DAC! :L3000:

Mar 21, 2024 at 2:19 PM Post #103 of 116
In case anyone passes through considering the X18: It’s still a very good DAC in absolute terms and frankly amazing for its prize. :L3000:

Just don’t use the USB input… I tried using PC -> Innuos Phoenix USB -> X18 and couldn’t get it to perform at the level of the other inputs (haven’t tried the I2S). If you have a good source with either SPDIF or AES outputs the X18 is very good.

And I’m not saying that it’s very good for it’s price. It’s very good. Period.

Mar 22, 2024 at 4:31 AM Post #104 of 116
In case anyone passes through considering the X18: It’s still a very good DAC in absolute terms and frankly amazing for its prize. :L3000:

Just don’t use the USB input… I tried using PC -> Innuos Phoenix USB -> X18 and couldn’t get it to perform at the level of the other inputs (haven’t tried the I2S). If you have a good source with either SPDIF or AES outputs the X18 is very good.

And I’m not saying that it’s very good for it’s price. It’s very good. Period.
If you ever get to try the X18 over I2S with a good DDC like the Gustard U18...things get taken up a notch or two.

Throw in a hi-fi fuse and decent power cord ideally with some Furutech connectors at each end and well...your X18 really becomes something else lol :sweat_smile:

Mar 22, 2024 at 4:50 AM Post #105 of 116
If you ever get to try the X18 over I2S with a good DDC like the Gustard U18...things get taken up a notch or two.

Throw in a hi-fi fuse and decent power cord ideally with some Furutech connectors at each end and well...your X18 really becomes something else lol :sweat_smile:
Excellent 👍

I actually also use a hi-fi fuse and upgraded power cord. Some people get annoyed by the thought of these making a difference so I hesitate in mentioning them.

Thanks for reminding me of the Gustard U18. Right now I’m connecting with AES and SPDIF but might give I2S a go. 😉

Users who are viewing this thread

Back