Gustard U18
Jul 16, 2023 at 10:08 PM Post #1,756 of 1,996
I have the U18 and R26 and found a slightly greater positive effect connecting my clock to the R26, but for me at least also connecting the U18 to the external clock improved things further. I put my best clock cable on the component that seems to benefit most from a clock connection, the R26. Need to try this again with better power cables, vibration damping and grounding I now have in my system, see *if it has changed my preference - as I hear the U18 responds really well to all these.

I haven't tried a more beefy power cable with my U18 yet, I guess that would be my next experiment. Power cables made a difference for my X26 Pro and V550.

Jul 17, 2023 at 9:23 PM Post #1,757 of 1,996
Also I forgot to mention that I connected the Ock-2 squarewave to the X26 Pro directly via BNC, plugging the Ock-2 to the U18 (and together with the X26 Pro at the same time also) seems to make the mids more distant sounding for me which I don't like, the way I have it now sounds more musical.
This depends on the cable, remember you are using 2 clock cables when you connect clock to both U18 and X26 Pro. With the right cables, you will be able to bring the mids forward back to where you like. I am using the same combo as yours and I can say that connecting clock to both U18 and X26 Pro brings the detail levels to a new height, up to high end audio standard.

For reference, I am using Cybershaft blue cable to U18 and Harmonic Tech to X26 Pro, and I also like mids sounding forward so that solo singer is like singing in the room.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2023 at 9:48 PM Post #1,758 of 1,996
This depends on the cable, remember you are using 2 clock cables when you connect clock to both U18 and X26 Pro. With the right cables, you will be able to bring the mids forward back to where you like. I am using the same combo as yours and I can say that connecting clock to both U18 and X26 Pro brings the detail levels to a new height, up to high end audio standard.

For reference, I am using Cybershaft blue cable to U18 and Harmonic Tech to X26 Pro, and I also like mids sounding forward so that solo singer is like singing in the room.

It could be, I was using a 75ohm cable via Sinewave (forgot the name, it was a $50 branded purple cable on Amazon).

I will get the same Cybershaft Blue and test it with the U18 but I stay doubtful :)

Jul 18, 2023 at 1:41 AM Post #1,759 of 1,996
Hi, I connect my Gustard X26 Pro DAC with my computer via USB, where I installed a Matrix Element H USB card on my computer. The Element H USB card claims to allow the digital signal to bypass the motherboard circuitry and it also cuts USB output power from the motherboard. So supposedly the Element H outputs a clean USB signal without power (since the Gustard X26 Pro does not require 5V "handshake" from the USB, I can cut the power from the USB completely)

Since the USB signal is already "clean", will a DDC (eg. Gustard U18) inserted between the Element H USB card and the DAC bring any benefit?

Thanks!

Jul 18, 2023 at 7:06 AM Post #1,760 of 1,996
Hi, I connect my Gustard X26 Pro DAC with my computer via USB, where I installed a Matrix Element H USB card on my computer. The Element H USB card claims to allow the digital signal to bypass the motherboard circuitry and it also cuts USB output power from the motherboard. So supposedly the Element H outputs a clean USB signal without power (since the Gustard X26 Pro does not require 5V "handshake" from the USB, I can cut the power from the USB completely)

Since the USB signal is already "clean", will a DDC (eg. Gustard U18) inserted between the Element H USB card and the DAC bring any benefit?

Thanks!
I am using Element H USB card. The U18 still makes a difference. In fact, the Element H seems to make a smaller difference compared to using U18 connected direct to computer USB.

Jul 18, 2023 at 7:11 AM Post #1,761 of 1,996
It could be, I was using a 75ohm cable via Sinewave (forgot the name, it was a $50 branded purple cable on Amazon).

I will get the same Cybershaft Blue and test it with the U18 but I stay doubtful :)
Firstly, get a 50ohm cable, both U18 and OCK-2 is 50ohm.

Secondly, use square wave. Sine wave smooth out the details, it may help with bright sounding systems, but that is not solving the root of the problem.

Jul 18, 2023 at 8:36 AM Post #1,762 of 1,996
Firstly, get a 50ohm cable, both U18 and OCK-2 is 50ohm.

Secondly, use square wave. Sine wave smooth out the details, it may help with bright sounding systems, but that is not solving the root of the problem.

Yes, with my Harmonic copper cable slaved to my X26 Pro, I was using Squarewave. I didn't know it made a difference if I mixed square wave and sine wave with both cables, I was too lazy to open up the Ock-2 to change impedance of the Squarewave port for the 75 ohm cable.

This time I will buy a 50ohm cable and use Squarewave for the U18.

Jul 18, 2023 at 9:36 AM Post #1,763 of 1,996
I am using Element H USB card. The U18 still makes a difference. In fact, the Element H seems to make a smaller difference compared to using U18 connected direct to computer USB.
Thanks, sounds tempting. Have you also tried the Matrix X-SPDIF 2 or 3 as well? The X-SPDIF 3 officially supports Windows 11, and I'd like to be future-proof.
One more thing, how does the I2S output sound differently from the AES output, if there is any difference? I'm using Gustard X26 Pro as the DAC. Thanks.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2023 at 10:41 PM Post #1,764 of 1,996
Thanks, sounds tempting. Have you also tried the Matrix X-SPDIF 2 or 3 as well? The X-SPDIF 3 officially supports Windows 11, and I'd like to be future-proof.
One more thing, how does the I2S output sound differently from the AES output, if there is any difference? I'm using Gustard X26 Pro as the DAC. Thanks.
No, I haven't tried the X-SPDIF.

For U18 and X26 Pro, my experience is connect via I2S if you can. There is no comparison, the soundstage layering is much better and soundstage size much bigger with I2S, AES cannot compare. A side benefit of I2S is the sound effect seems to still more or less stay even using cheap HDMI cables, the timbre of music instruments however still requires good I2S cables to produce.

Jul 18, 2023 at 10:51 PM Post #1,765 of 1,996
Yes, with my Harmonic copper cable slaved to my X26 Pro, I was using Squarewave. I didn't know it made a difference if I mixed square wave and sine wave with both cables, I was too lazy to open up the Ock-2 to change impedance of the Squarewave port for the 75 ohm cable.

This time I will buy a 50ohm cable and use Squarewave for the U18.
Never mix sine wave and square wave to U18 and X26 Pro, can't produce good result that way.

The impedance setting within OCK-2 is actually for matching the equipment, not matching the cable's impedance. The cable's impedance should also match the equipment. Both U18 and X26 Pro is 50 ohm, that is why you should use 50 ohm cables. If you must use a 75 ohm cable, use it but leave the OCK-2 at 50 ohm because your equipment is 50 ohm.

Jul 19, 2023 at 2:12 AM Post #1,766 of 1,996
No, I haven't tried the X-SPDIF.

For U18 and X26 Pro, my experience is connect via I2S if you can. There is no comparison, the soundstage layering is much better and soundstage size much bigger with I2S, AES cannot compare. A side benefit of I2S is the sound effect seems to still more or less stay even using cheap HDMI cables, the timbre of music instruments however still requires good I2S cables to produce.
What I2S cable do you use? I’m using the BJC / Belden FE recommended on this thread, aware of step up options also recommended here like the Afterdark Black Magic and the Tubulus Argentus and Concentus…

Jul 19, 2023 at 10:50 AM Post #1,767 of 1,996

Thanks!

I have Intona USB isolator between laptop and DAC. Gustard U18 barely gives any improvement using my current Macbook -> Intona USB isolator -> Qutest -> Luxman P1U -> Focal Utopia chain. Sound is slightly more calmer when I add Gustard U18 DDC in chain, but this may be caused only because I use optical to DAC instead of USB. Out of curiosity I've upgraded the fuse in U18, yielding no results whatsoever....

Going just by memory I think Denafrips IRIS was a better DDC, which I did not keep as it made my macbook randomly freeze. So far U18 stays packed as I see no purpose for an extra box as Intona USB isolator sounds just as good. Maybe IAES/HDMI ports does the better job, but my qutest doesn't have such inputs. I Still plan to keep U18, just in case I will run into DAC upgrade and test other outputs

Jul 19, 2023 at 12:08 PM Post #1,768 of 1,996
I have Intona USB isolator between laptop and DAC. Gustard U18 barely gives any improvement using my current Macbook -> Intona USB isolator -> Qutest -> Luxman P1U -> Focal Utopia chain. Sound is slightly more calmer when I add Gustard U18 DDC in chain, but this may be caused only because I use optical to DAC instead of USB. Out of curiosity I've upgraded the fuse in U18, yielding no results whatsoever....

Going just by memory I think Denafrips IRIS was a better DDC, which I did not keep as it made my macbook randomly freeze. So far U18 stays packed as I see no purpose for an extra box as Intona USB isolator sounds just as good. Maybe IAES/HDMI ports does the better job, but my qutest doesn't have such inputs. I Still plan to keep U18, just in case I will run into DAC upgrade and test other outputs
I found an external clock elevated the U18 noticeably. Without, SU6 > U18, with 10mhz Ext clock U18 > SU6. Holo Titanis USB regenerator before U18 improved things further.

Jul 19, 2023 at 12:15 PM Post #1,769 of 1,996
What I2S cable do you use? I’m using the BJC / Belden FE recommended on this thread, aware of step up options also recommended here like the Afterdark Black Magic and the Tubulus Argentus and Concentus…
I use Phasure I2S
Interesting how different systems produce different results. I previously also used Denafrips Iris on a Topping D7x Pro, I borrowed a U18 to compare and never returned the U18, ended up selling my Iris because the U18 produce a deeper and wider soundstage compared to Iris.

Jul 19, 2023 at 12:16 PM Post #1,770 of 1,996
I found an external clock elevated the U18 noticeably. Without, SU6 > U18, with 10mhz Ext clock U18 > SU6. Holo Titanis USB regenerator before U18 improved things further.

I do have Holo Audio Titanis USB as well which I use after Intona USB generator. Surprisingly Holo USB does a decent job even on it's own. I just did not seem to yield expected improvement with added U18 in chain, maybe external clock would help, but I'm not keen to go that route as I have too many boxes on my desktop already.

I think my noisy source is nearly sorted with Intona, maybe a better dac in future which is not so sensitive to sources

Users who are viewing this thread

Back