Gustard U18
Jun 14, 2023 at 1:34 PM Post #1,741 of 1,991
The cable I used was a good quality 75 ohm coaxial cable. I went back and forth between just usb from the bifrost 2/64 and with the u18 with coax. There was just no difference whatsoever. I expected a difference even just a little bit. So I just returned to back to amazon.

Jul 8, 2023 at 3:25 AM Post #1,743 of 1,991
Where do folks buy SR Purple fuses in the US? Direct from SR? And for those who have it, did you buy the 500mA or 600mA fuses? I’m assuming it’s the slow blow version.

Jul 8, 2023 at 7:17 AM Post #1,744 of 1,991
Where do folks buy SR Purple fuses in the US? Direct from SR? And for those who have it, did you buy the 500mA or 600mA fuses? I’m assuming it’s the slow blow version.

For the U18, you will need

5x20mm / Slow(T) / 630mA

The easiest way to know which fuse you need for Gustard gear is to go on the Gustard website, search up "Gustard Fuses" on the online shop and right there they will tell you which fuse is for which Gustard device.

now regarding the Purple Fuses, I bought mine from Highland Electronics but other vendors do sell them here in the US.

Jul 8, 2023 at 4:56 PM Post #1,745 of 1,991
A few times a year they run a buy two get one free sale if you can wait. I bought mine from VH Audio, very good to deal with. If you send an email they might tell you when the next sale is. I guess the sale is irrelevant if you only need one. I just happened to need three so it worked out perfect for me

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2023 at 4:36 PM Post #1,746 of 1,991
Anyone have an issue that everything was working fine and when I power off u18 and next couple days that I power up I noticed that volume of my headphone is significantly less
This have happened every time I power off u18 and back
And then just like fiddling with power on off u18 and my streamer to get it back to normal volume
And I’ve tried two different streamers both same so issue is with u18

Jul 16, 2023 at 9:30 AM Post #1,747 of 1,991
This is a minor, but annoying issue. I like to leave all my audio devices on 24/7, including the U18. I do, however, power off my PC when not in use. When I power it back on, the U18 is not recognized. To remedy, I have to power cycle the U18 and it instantly is recognized. Anyone else running into this? Is there a solution?

Jul 16, 2023 at 9:56 AM Post #1,748 of 1,991
This is a minor, but annoying issue. I like to leave all my audio devices on 24/7, including the U18. I do, however, power off my PC when not in use. When I power it back on, the U18 is not recognized. To remedy, I have to power cycle the U18 and it instantly is recognized. Anyone else running into this? Is there a solution?
I know what you mean, when I power off my laptop this problem doesn't happen but if I left my U18 on and I wake up my PS5 and use it with my audio chain, put the PS5 back to sleep and then try to use the U18 with my laptop, I get the same problem and have to reset the U18.

To fix this issue I always turn off the U18 when not in use.

Jul 16, 2023 at 10:12 AM Post #1,749 of 1,991
I know what you mean, when I power off my laptop this problem doesn't happen but if I left my U18 on and I wake up my PS5 and use it with my audio chain, put the PS5 back to sleep and then try to use the U18 with my laptop, I get the same problem and have to reset the U18.

To fix this issue I always turn off the U18 when not in use.
Yeah, I feel like it could be addressed by a driver update, but who knows when that’ll come.

BTW, off topic, but I see you run a purple fuse in your OCK-2. Mind sharing your experience with that? Also, what type does the OCK-2 take? I have one on order. Thanks!

Jul 16, 2023 at 11:10 AM Post #1,750 of 1,991
Yeah, I feel like it could be addressed by a driver update, but who knows when that’ll come.

BTW, off topic, but I see you run a purple fuse in your OCK-2. Mind sharing your experience with that? Also, what type does the OCK-2 take? I have one on order. Thanks!

The fuse rating of the OCK-2 is 5x20mm, 1A slow blow fuse (this is exactly what Vinshine Audio told me prior to my purchase)

So I now run Squarewave on the Ock-2 via Harmonic Tech Digital Copper III BNC cable. I would say that the Purple Fuses brought forth more mids clarity and a bit more fowardness in the upper mids in the Ock-2 specifically, but it is hard to pin point what the effects are on each device at this point, I have too many purple fuses and they all did some wonderful things for my U18 and my X26 Pro uniquely.

I will stress that you will find Squarewave very harsh at first but after a few weeks, the harshness will be gone and you will be in for a very detailed and relaxing listen.

With the Caldera, I can say that I've finally found the setup that can wow me at every listening session and I don't feel the need to "upgrade" further.

Jul 16, 2023 at 11:15 AM Post #1,751 of 1,991
Also I forgot to mention that I connected the Ock-2 squarewave to the X26 Pro directly via BNC, plugging the Ock-2 to the U18 (and together with the X26 Pro at the same time also) seems to make the mids more distant sounding for me which I don't like, the way I have it now sounds more musical.

Your R26 should have a 10Mhz port too.

Jul 16, 2023 at 12:11 PM Post #1,752 of 1,991
This is Windows issue ... Never happens with Linux / Linux streamers ...

Jul 16, 2023 at 12:27 PM Post #1,753 of 1,991
This is Windows issue ... Never happens with Linux / Linux streamers ...
Well, no. It’s a Gustard issue because the majority of USB devices don’t require you to power on/off to be recognized with Windows these days.

Jul 16, 2023 at 7:29 PM Post #1,754 of 1,991
Also I forgot to mention that I connected the Ock-2 squarewave to the X26 Pro directly via BNC, plugging the Ock-2 to the U18 (and together with the X26 Pro at the same time also) seems to make the mids more distant sounding for me which I don't like, the way I have it now sounds more musical.

Your R26 should have a 10Mhz port too.
That’s interesting. I do have a 10Mhz input on the R26 but I always thought to connect the master clock to my DDC.

Jul 16, 2023 at 7:59 PM Post #1,755 of 1,991
That’s interesting. I do have a 10Mhz input on the R26 but I always thought to connect the master clock to my DDC.
I have the U18 and R26 and found a slightly greater positive effect connecting my clock to the R26, but for me at least also connecting the U18 to the external clock improved things further. I put my best clock cable on the component that seems to benefit most from a clock connection, the R26. Need to try this again with better power cables, vibration damping and grounding I now have in my system, see *if it has changed my preference - as I hear the U18 responds really well to all these.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back