Gustard U18
Dec 3, 2022 at 12:33 PM Post #1,336 of 1,991
Thank you, that's very interesting. I could not get either gustard or shenzhen audio to tell me anything useful. I'm using the gustard usb driver, v 5.0.0, without any success. Perhaps Icould try jriver on linux. I m new to linux, would that be Ubuntu?
I’ve been using https://www.daphile.com/# (Realtime Kernel) with great results .

Daphile is based on the open source Squeezebox Server, Squeezelite and Linux.

Since Daphile is used and configured completely via the web interface the user is not required to have any Linux skills.

Dec 4, 2022 at 11:11 AM Post #1,340 of 1,991
February I believe. Well my tax return is already burning a hole in my pocket. So we shall see!

Happy listening,

jgwtriode
If you contact Uptone about it they'll add your email address to a list to be notified when it is available. The response I got in Oct was the new version will be better in every way compared to the original one and at the same price point. That original production version was halted due to chip supply chain issues.

Dec 5, 2022 at 3:27 AM Post #1,341 of 1,991
I have recently added U18 to the chain, but I am struggling to understand what is the best setting to make use of its full potential. Currently, I am connecting it to X26 pro through I2S cable. What confuses me is that, does U18 has its own clock that works better than that of X26's? If I switch from "int" to "ext 10 mhz" in the clock setting of X26 pro, I start to hear the music discontinues and starts again every seconds. If I restore the setting back to use X26's internal clock, it works fine. Am I misunderstanding something?

Dec 5, 2022 at 4:16 AM Post #1,342 of 1,991
The U18's clock is marginally better, but the real benefit comes when you use an external clock into the U18, set for Ext. This passes through the I2S to the DAC, giving you double the benefit.

Dec 5, 2022 at 5:23 AM Post #1,343 of 1,991
The U18's clock is marginally better, but the real benefit comes when you use an external clock into the U18, set for Ext. This passes through the I2S to the DAC, giving you double the benefit.
thanks Martin. Then there should be no technical issue putting X26's clock setting to 'ext' to utilize U18's internal clock. Should I be worried if setting 'ext' as a clock setting makes the music shuttering badly?

Dec 5, 2022 at 5:48 AM Post #1,344 of 1,991
thanks Martin. Then there should be no technical issue putting X26's clock setting to 'ext' to utilize U18's internal clock. Should I be worried if setting 'ext' as a clock setting makes the music shuttering badly?
I'm not the expert here but I'd say the problem is something different, like a bad I2s cable, or a problem with your source

Dec 5, 2022 at 6:26 AM Post #1,346 of 1,991
Hi @drspeter
If You don't have a dedicated External Master Clock of 10MHz time pulse You should have Your Gustard's set to "INT". The Internal clocks and the K2 clock synthesizer are doing a terrific job but I advice You to at least get a LHY OCK-1 masterclock. Please read: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/master-clock-talk.228428/page-7#post-17277633

/Jan

Dec 5, 2022 at 6:29 AM Post #1,347 of 1,991
I have recently added U18 to the chain, but I am struggling to understand what is the best setting to make use of its full potential. Currently, I am connecting it to X26 pro through I2S cable. What confuses me is that, does U18 has its own clock that works better than that of X26's? If I switch from "int" to "ext 10 mhz" in the clock setting of X26 pro, I start to hear the music discontinues and starts again every seconds. If I restore the setting back to use X26's internal clock, it works fine. Am I misunderstanding something?
The "Ext" clock is for a separate external clock on the clock input of the U18. It is normal to experience problems when you set Ext clock and there is none. In your configuration when you have only U18+DAC (and no external clock) the settings should be left on "int".

Dec 5, 2022 at 6:37 AM Post #1,348 of 1,991

No, don't set the X26 Pro's clock to Ext as you're not using an external clock to its 10MHz BNC. If you try to use Ext clock without a clock connected, you get horrible noise.

Leave it on Int. and it will use the U18's clock when the input is set to I2S.

Dec 5, 2022 at 10:17 AM Post #1,349 of 1,991
recipe for good sound
first Holo Audio – Titanis in usbport laptop
https://www.kitsunehifi.com/product/holo-audio-titanis-active-usb-processor/
thereafter
https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/dc-p...or-dc-55-21mm-female-power-supply-p-8332.html
as well as ifi xpower 5volt
https://www.av-connection.dk/?PGr=13905
finally puts usb-b-adapter-cable- on usbkabel, to the input gustard u18
it disconnects internal power in usport from laptop
gives much more room in the sound image
as well as 3d
also helps a lot more 10mhz master clock

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2022 at 2:42 AM Post #1,350 of 1,991
Well I am preparing my tax return shopping list. JCAT network XE card, HQplayer, maybe the LHMY OCK2 and another Cuinas audio Iso Cap Power Supply if I can get John Kinney to build me another. I prefer it to the uptone LPS 1.2 at half the price. Secret according to John is no regulators on the outputs; even the best still create switching noise he explained to me and had a white paper on his site about it.

Maybe toss something else in the mix depending on just how much I can safely consider audio disposable. Oh btw I think I need to add an Ifi power X to the mix for my Tmobile Wireless Modem/Router. I have to plug it into an outlet box to get it to reach location from the Wall socket. So I grabbed a 10ft 14 gauge power cord to plug it into the wall and could immediately hear an improvement. A well spent 15 dollars at Walmart.

Happy listening,

jgwtriode

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back