Gustard U18
Nov 25, 2022 at 4:58 PM Post #1,321 of 1,991
[
I was curious, too, but I often bet that the middle of the range offers the best bang for buck. There may be a small audible advantage to their top of the range model, but I'm betting most of the design effort went into the Argentus, which may be their best selling model. It certainly performs well, with the kind of detail and authority that suggests high end to my ears.
I'm afraid if I ask them what's the difference between the $500 cable and the $900 cable, they will say $400

Nov 28, 2022 at 11:46 PM Post #1,322 of 1,991
New cheap tweak for anyone wanting to improve their wired streaming. DX engineering DX iso plus RJ45 filters. $50 a pair and you need one on either end of your RJ45. I first saw them mentioned on Steve Hoffmans's Music Forum and then on Audiophile style. Common mode passive RF filter. Cheap tweak and it works. Put a 1 foot BJC belden Cat 5SE on the other side of each filter. No way I would use the stock half footers that come with them. Lower noise floor, noticeably more transparent. Music has this added resonance and ring that I have not heard before, more lifelike, stage is large and everything is more focused and layered, bass has a bit more sock and texture as well with slightly added weight. Surprising improvement especially for only $50.00. Plus 14 for the 2 BJC 1 footers and of course Mad GCEd the connectors. They are relaxing and getting even a bit better and more musical with a bit of burn in. Vastly cheaper than the Network Acoustic Muon Filter!

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/...thread-for-various-network-cable-experiments/

Nov 29, 2022 at 4:00 AM Post #1,323 of 1,991
DX engineering DX iso plus RJ45 filters.

I actually have a pair, but took them out when I went with the optical isolation link.

Do you use yours from the router?

Nov 29, 2022 at 12:52 PM Post #1,326 of 1,991
I thought the Pegasus has I2S input? doesn't it works with U18? may be the pins layout won't configure correctly?
Thanks You T1000
You did not understand me
Pegasus has an I2s port, but the first ones that were put on the market had problems with the I2s connection(mine is from the first series). That problem was solved very quickly.
I don't know how many of those devices from the first series are currently on sale.
For those Pegasus with correct I2s connection you can contact "Musician" for support and pin configuration for U18

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2022 at 3:17 PM Post #1,327 of 1,991
Yes, makes quite a noticeable difference! Surprisingly cheap improvement!

I've put them back in circuit (taking care of their orientation) and will report back.

Dec 2, 2022 at 10:49 AM Post #1,329 of 1,991
Very good, will be interesting to see how much difference they make!

The DXE filters make a small but worthwhile improvement to the overall cleaning up of the performance. I dare say I've reached the limit of effectiveness of improvements via isolation, but they all add up to a very significant contribution to the overall sound:

1. 4G mobile (cellular) data
2. DXE ethernet filters
3. Uptone EtherREGEN with moat
4. Optical link with JD094B-C SFPs and ipolex cable
5. Gustard U18 with moat

Dec 3, 2022 at 7:13 AM Post #1,331 of 1,991
Very good. I may explore an Uptone EtherRegen if they ever start building them again.
I believe they're developing the new model.

Dec 3, 2022 at 9:58 AM Post #1,333 of 1,991
Hi there,
I could not find any info on this burning issue I have right now with my u18. I bought a new fanless pc and playback crackles and pops as if it were vynil. The pc only has usb3 ports. My old pc plays well over usb2, and all hell breaks loose when I plug the u18 into any of its usb3 ports. Should I get a fanless pc that has at least one usb2 port?? The old pc is a bit noisy, fans and coils etc. Any experience with usb3 ? Thank you

Dec 3, 2022 at 12:10 PM Post #1,334 of 1,991
Hi there,
I could not find any info on this burning issue I have right now with my u18. I bought a new fanless pc and playback crackles and pops as if it were vynil. The pc only has usb3 ports. My old pc plays well over usb2, and all hell breaks loose when I plug the u18 into any of its usb3 ports. Should I get a fanless pc that has at least one usb2 port?? The old pc is a bit noisy, fans and coils etc. Any experience with usb3 ? Thank youI h

Sounds like the “Windows driver” issue…. I had no problem using USB 3 ports on my fanless mini-pc while running Daphile OS (Linux). I wouldn’t even try Windowze …

Dec 3, 2022 at 12:27 PM Post #1,335 of 1,991
Thank you, that's very interesting. I could not get either gustard or shenzhen audio to tell me anything useful. I'm using the gustard usb driver, v 5.0.0, without any success. Perhaps Icould try jriver on linux. I m new to linux, would that be Ubuntu?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back