Gustard U18
Jun 2, 2022 at 3:22 AM Post #766 of 1,995
Hello @mocarver, welcome to the club
Mine is 5-20 mm, T630mA (slow blow), but I came across information that 1.6mA is better for American current, which I cannot confirm with certainty.
I invite other users of Purple fuses from the American continent to give their opinion.
Enjoy the upgrade
A friend from Hongkong said that 1A purple fuse is popularly used there for a Asian 230Vower supply. Again cannot confirm anything. Just an opinion.

Jun 2, 2022 at 12:52 PM Post #767 of 1,995
A friend from Hongkong said that 1A purple fuse is popularly used there for a Asian 230Vower supply. Again cannot confirm anything. Just an opinion.
I don't have any reliable knowledge, but somewhere in my memory I extracted the data I read
On the fuse it says 250 V, so I think you should be fine with 500 mA… Some manufacturers recommend less Amperage with higher Voltage . This from Farad 3 LPS Manual on fuses: “we recommend using a 800mA slow blow 5x20 for 230Vac versions and a 1.6A slow for 115Vac input versions”
so it is not out of place to check and use the correct amperage

Jun 3, 2022 at 10:13 PM Post #769 of 1,995
That's the consistent feedback we've been getting. Very few people were unhappy with it micro iUSB3.0, but to clarify, the noisier a USB line is, the more that reclocker/regenerator does.
Can you tell me, please, if there is any sonic difference between the Nano iUSB3.0 and the Nano iGalvanic3.0 USB? The only apparent operating difference is that the former has the option of an external power supply.

Jun 30, 2022 at 3:27 PM Post #770 of 1,995
So I think about adding a U18 or other DDC/USB interface also because i2s.
What about it, why is it favoured by many?

An i2s cable shouldn´t be longer than max. 30cm because:

The i2s interface is the UNIVERSAL Internal Interface for all DACs.
Since it is primarily an internal interface, its signals were never desigend to be carried over long lenghts of wire of from one box (transport) to another (DAC).
Long wire lengths with their inductance & capaciteances will corrupt the digi
tal signals.

What to do with such a statement?
Thanks!

Jun 30, 2022 at 3:36 PM Post #771 of 1,995
Whilst this statement is technically correct it is misapplied when discussing the connection between a DDC and DAC over an hdmi formatted link.

This is because the IIS bus is terminated in a LVDS transmitter in the DDC which creates a robust differential signal carried across the hdmi cable (typically though RJ45 cables can also be used) to the LVDS receiver in the DAC where it is recovered to the IIS format for receipt at the input to the doc chip or fpga for processing. Without the LVDS link the signal's integrity would be compromised over a metre or more of wire.

IIS over LVDS is probably more robust than SPDIF.

FYI - I'm listening to a U18 feeding 705.6k data to a X26Pro and it is pretty fantastic (1 week on the U18, 2 on the DAC). No problems with the IIS using a bog-standard HDMI cable.

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2022 at 3:59 PM Post #772 of 1,995
Hi, Here comes an advice. If You are going to add an External XO be prepared to pick a really good one. I should say with a phase noise measurement from -117dB/1Hz or better (=towards lower value: -118dB/1Hz...). They are pricy but After dark list them for decent money. In Your case I should also recommend You to pick one with three outputs so You can feed the both the U18 and the X26pro and maybe a later gear for You with the same refined time pulse.

But if You are on a stricter budget enjoy Your present rig and save up to a good external OCXO. I am seeing the very good but expensive master clock as a long term investment that will help to rise the level of my present and possible coming gears. In my case I chose the Mutec Ref10 for the square wave outputs and the many outputs (2x 50Ohm and 6x 75Ohm) knowing I will add gears in the future that can handle the 10MHz master clock signal and benefit with excellence from it.

The gears You have are good as they are but they are both are holding the potential to really blossom with a great master clock. Best for You should be to lend a good master clock from a store or a friend to test with and experience what You will get. The problem is that You will not give it back ; )

Finally. Don't get sneaky on the choice of the Master clock. It must be -117dB/1Hz or better to be meaningful. The clocks with the K2 synthesizer's inside both Your present gears are good. It maybe strange to pay a bit more for a Master clock than You did for the both the U18 and the X26pro but it is absolutely worth it. If You will go down that path the BNC cables for this use are relevant to get out the most as @Matthiew Willims here pointed out. We will help You with those choices if You want.

Good luck/Jan
They are pricy but After dark list them for decent money. In Your case I should also recommend You to pick one with three outputs so You can feed the both the U18 and the X26pro and maybe a later gear for You with the same refined time pulse.
I thought when one adds an U18 (with or without an external Clock) the Clock in the DAC doesn't do anything anylonger...?

Jun 30, 2022 at 4:04 PM Post #773 of 1,995
Whilst this statement is technically correct it is misapplied when discussing the connection between a DDC and DAC over an hdmi formatted link.

This is because the IIS bus is terminated in a LVDS transmitter in the DDC which creates a robust differential signal carried across the hdmi cable (typically though RJ45 cables can also be used) to the LVDS receiver in the DAC where it is recovered to the IIS format for receipt at the input to the doc chip or fpga for processing. Without the LVDS link the signal's integrity would be compromised over a metre or more of wire.

IIS over LVDS is probably more robust than SPDIF.

FYI - I'm listening to a U18 feeding 705.6k data to a X26Pro and it is pretty fantastic (1 week on the U18, 2 on the DAC). No problems with the IIS using a bog-standard HDMI cable.
Makes sense but in German would be better...
Anyway I also have a X26 pro.
What's a bog-standard HDMI cable?
I am looking for a good cable when going the U18 route...

Jun 30, 2022 at 5:04 PM Post #774 of 1,995
Makes sense but in German would be better...
Anyway I also have a X26 pro.
What's a bog-standard HDMI cable?
I am looking for a good cable when going the U18 route...
Sorry - "bog standard" means cheap, basic, common-or-garden variety.
I should indeed be able to tell you this in German - half my team is German.

There are a good cables for this link - Blue Jeans, Wireworld, maybe even the Gustard cable. Shorter is still a better option than longer. I am using a 1m basic cable right now until I decide what better option to buy. Pink Faun make a good but expensive cable, Magna Hifi stock it usually. Depends how much you want to spend.

I hope this helps a little.

Jul 1, 2022 at 1:12 AM Post #775 of 1,995
Blue Jeans FE 30cm cable between U18 and X26 Pro here.

Jul 1, 2022 at 2:57 AM Post #776 of 1,995
I thought when one adds an U18 (with or without an external Clock) the Clock in the DAC doesn't do anything anylonger...?

Yes, that's correct. You only need a clock into the U18 provided you are using the I2S interface.

Jul 1, 2022 at 6:00 AM Post #777 of 1,995
On the subject of clocking, Martin, you have a lot of experience I think. I am looking towards adding a ref clock to my Gustard pairing (U18 & X26Pro). Is the lower level AfterDark version worthwhile or should I go further up the range (or even the Mutec Ref10...). I am liking the sound the Gustard set up is delivering (after only a shortish running in) even though my current main dac is Chord Dave, and from initial cable swaps the U18 seems very able to pick up the slightest change (a USB cable or mains cable swap is clearly discernable). That can be a good thing or bad - another rabbit hole to disappear into.

Any thoughts on clock options happily received.

Jul 1, 2022 at 6:24 AM Post #778 of 1,995
On the subject of clocking, Martin, you have a lot of experience I think. I am looking towards adding a ref clock to my Gustard pairing (U18 & X26Pro). Is the lower level AfterDark version worthwhile or should I go further up the range (or even the Mutec Ref10...). I am liking the sound the Gustard set up is delivering (after only a shortish running in) even though my current main dac is Chord Dave, and from initial cable swaps the U18 seems very able to pick up the slightest change (a USB cable or mains cable swap is clearly discernable). That can be a good thing or bad - another rabbit hole to disappear into.

Any thoughts on clock options happily received.
I jump in on this. I am using U18+X26Pro with Mutec 10 SE120. They both benefit very well on the better external oscillator. I think You should save up and aim for at least a -117dBc/1Hz from After Dark (Emperor DOUBLE CROWN) to get a good result. The K2 synthesizer in both U18 and X26Pro is doing a good job as they come and to get a higher performance You must pay up a bit. otherwise the "smaller" money not well spent. I use Gustard's own HDMI cable and it is a good match. I can absolutely recommend it.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2022 at 7:37 AM Post #779 of 1,995
Sorry - "bog standard" means cheap, basic, common-or-garden variety.
I should indeed be able to tell you this in German - half my team is German.

There are a good cables for this link - Blue Jeans, Wireworld, maybe even the Gustard cable. Shorter is still a better option than longer. I am using a 1m basic cable right now until I decide what better option to buy. Pink Faun make a good but expensive cable, Magna Hifi stock it usually. Depends how much you want to spend.

I hope this helps a little.
Yes it did, the LVDS info! Alright, what's your team for? (Just curious...)
I get the basic info in English no problem!

So would you agree that the USB cable from streamer to the DDC doesn't matter as much as the i2s from the U18 to one's DAC?

I'm tempted by a silver solid core air insulated Tubulus from the Netherlands... Just have to decide if the cable should be more then half of the U18.

Jul 1, 2022 at 7:38 AM Post #780 of 1,995

Users who are viewing this thread

Back