Gustard U18
May 26, 2022 at 12:49 AM Post #736 of 1,989
Moved to a Soundaware D300REF recently.... After about 4 days burn in it's already equaling what I was getting with my LPS powered mini PC, Gustard U18 + Afterdark Emperor Double Crown OCXO clock..... Far more expensive though it turns out worth the extra $. I'll be adding an Afterdark 3 output Emperor Double Crown to the mix in the coming weeks as well which should improve things still further.

But yeah, loved my U18 but the D300REF at about 4x the cost is clearly the better performer..... Likely because the Roon Bridge is built in though I find the USB input to be every bit as good also.
Nice. I've been close to buying one but it lacks reviews. Some ppl were underwhelmed with the UI. 🤔🤔🤔🤔

Can u add the u18 in the chain?

May 26, 2022 at 1:07 AM Post #737 of 1,989
Nice. I've been close to buying one but it lacks reviews. Some ppl were underwhelmed with the UI. 🤔🤔🤔🤔

Can u add the u18 in the chain?
UI almost non-existent. I only got it to switch between Roon streamer for music and USB interface for the media PC for video. This not just does away with Roon taking over the audio interface necessitating a reboot but also seems to give a very nice improvement sonically. The first few days of burn in I was wondering what on earth I was thinking but inside of a week it is matching what I achieved for a similar cost. I imagine it will continue to improve.

It seems integration of the streamer has greater sonic benefits than the Afterdark Emperor Double Crown clock I ran with the U18. Unfortunately the D300REF doesn't use 10MHz clock inputs so a new clock is on order. That should improve things still further.

One thing that has been obvious from the beginning is how much more impact it adds to bass though initially is seems a bit thin and edgy in the treble region, not natural. Thankfully that has now gone away and it's just getting better and better the more I use it.

No point adding the U18 to the chain hey as the Soundaware actually sounds better and also has it's own USB interface :wink:

Last edited:
May 26, 2022 at 1:10 AM Post #738 of 1,989
UI almost non-existent. I only got it to switch between Roon streamer for music and USB interface for the media PC for video. This not just does away with Roon taking over the audio interface necessitating a reboot but also seems to give a very nice improvement sonically. The first few days of burn in I was wondering what on earth I was thinking but inside of a week it is matching what I achieved for a similar cost. I imagine it will continue to improve.

It seems integration of the streamer has greater sonic benefits than the Afterdark Emperor Double Crown clock I ran with the U18. Unfortunately the D300REF doesn't use 10MHz clock inputs so a new clock is on order. That should improve things still further.

One thing that has been obvious from the beginning is how much more impact it adds to bass though initially is seems a bit thin and edgy in the treble region, not natural. Thankfully that has now gone away and it's just getting better and better the more I use it.
Oh wait let's start again, can u clarify if ur using the d300ref as a ddc or as a streamer?

May 26, 2022 at 1:12 AM Post #740 of 1,989
And yea. That's the thing...I was interested in the 300ref coz it's compatible with my ocxo. I think my soundwarrior ocxo is better than the after dark since I power it with the ifi elite + dxpwr combo. If future ddc by gustard has that option...omg

May 26, 2022 at 1:56 AM Post #742 of 1,989
And yea. That's the thing...I was interested in the 300ref coz it's compatible with my ocxo. I think my soundwarrior ocxo is better than the after dark since I power it with the ifi elite + dxpwr combo. If future ddc by gustard has that option...omg

Yeah, I was powering mine with the Farad Super3 LPS but the one I have coming has power built in.

Right now with 4 days burn in the Soundaware as streamer is even with U18 + Farad Super3 LPS power Afterdark Emperor Double Crown which is impressive seeing as there's plenty of burn in required still. The U18 took about a month or so to get to its best so I expect this will be no different.

Last edited:
May 26, 2022 at 2:31 AM Post #744 of 1,989
Yes. Its the only option they got and I couldn't commit to it. They gave me the specs where I can do custom but the soundwarrior is more convenient as I don't need a dedicated build.
Just looked it up. Very good price but description is a bit light on details like phase distortion etc..... No mention of it at all actually. Not right for the Soundaware either was as that required 50ohm inputs.

Last edited:
May 26, 2022 at 3:29 AM Post #745 of 1,989
Just looked it up. Very good price but description is a bit light on details like phase distortion etc..... No mention of it at all actually. Not right for the Soundaware either was as that required 50ohm inputs.

Those 50/75ohms stuff don't really hold up in the real world. I've tried on spec cables and my builds are better and it's a twisted pair design. There is no phase but the manual says .001ppm but so better psu can easily trump a unit with better phase noise performance.

May 26, 2022 at 3:42 AM Post #746 of 1,989
Those 50/75ohms stuff don't really hold up in the real world. I've tried on spec cables and my builds are better and it's a twisted pair design. There is no phase but the manual says .001ppm but so better psu can easily trump a unit with better phase noise performance.
Interesting, will have to try my existing 75ohm Farad Super3 powered Afterdark Emperor Double Crown with the D300REF

May 26, 2022 at 3:49 AM Post #747 of 1,989
Interesting, will have to try my existing 75ohm Farad Super3 powered Afterdark Emperor Double Crown with the D300REF
It is bizarre if one follows the philosophy of what's within spec. My design is a 4 core 20awg solid occ silver twisted cable design. A derivative of my digital cable build. I reckon to give it a shot but expected the two core per signal design might muck the accuracy but it didn't.

Plug quality matters too! So do adapters! I used an adapter and it gave the same response as me using an adapter on interconnects or HP to amp. It's this slower thicker sound that's rolled odd. Just on cable that's delivering clock data. It's crazy.

There's also that thing of 1.5m is the minimum to resist reflections but that isn't true in real world usage...shorter is still better.

Last edited:
May 27, 2022 at 5:22 AM Post #748 of 1,989
hi all, i ordered a gustard fuse for my u18. I would like to ask how thefuse should be oriented as it has an arrow. for the gustard x26pro there is an image, but for the u18 I have not found anything. Thx for the reply

May 27, 2022 at 1:59 PM Post #750 of 1,989
hi all, i ordered a gustard fuse for my u18. I would like to ask how thefuse should be oriented as it has an arrow. for the gustard x26pro there is an image, but for the u18 I have not found anything. Thx for the reply
srfuse.jpggustardfuse.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back