Gustard U18
May 17, 2022 at 2:02 AM Post #721 of 1,989
Well UAPP is good still for mqa full decoders if u haven't bought the plug in. U have the opportunity to compare both. Which I can't. U have to go through the rounds of optimizing UAPP too which can be rewarding. Proper buffer/Cache size always important.

Also local file playback has been non-functional for me on mconnect. So I only use it for tidal.
Again, thanks for your help it's very much appreciated. And while I will continue to work with UAPP, I am still confused as to which version of Mconnect I would want to download. I guess my choice is between "Player" and "Player HD" is this correct and which one would you suggest? Thanks again, I'd be lost without this forum and your guys help. Again I should state it's an Android phone not tablet

Last edited:
May 17, 2022 at 2:20 AM Post #722 of 1,989
Again, thanks for your help it's very much appreciated. And while I will continue to work with UAPP, I am still confused as to which version of Mconnect I would want to download. I guess my choice is between "Player" and "Player HD" is this correct and which one would you suggest? Thanks again, I'd be lost without this forum and your guys help. Again I should state it's an Android phone not tablet
I just bought the upgrade and didn't bother with comparing once I see it was functioning. I have also since moved to using a zen stream and mconnect works with that and since UAPP is not a UPNP, I can't use it anymore. I prefer it over HQplayer/pggb solutions.

May 18, 2022 at 8:46 PM Post #724 of 1,989
I want to post this update in case anyone else has the same issue. It turns out the A22 can only process MQA through the USB input. I'm a little bummed because now I will have to connect the U18 to the A22 with a USB cable instead of i2s. I think that's still better than not using the U18. Do those of you who know a lot more about this stuff than I do agree with that? If yes, would
IMG_20220518_195643667.jpg
I want to use a 1.5 m long cable to avoid "reflections"? As always, thanks in advance

Edit: I just looked closer at the U18 and I'm a bit shocked to see it doesn't have a USB out.
Screenshot_20220518-191619.png

The attached screenshot is from Aoshida. I see there's an asterisk next to the statement. Anyone know if this could be incorrect and one of the other connections supports MQA?

Last edited:
May 19, 2022 at 11:12 PM Post #725 of 1,989
I want to post this update in case anyone else has the same issue. It turns out the A22 can only process MQA through the USB input. I'm a little bummed because now I will have to connect the U18 to the A22 with a USB cable instead of i2s. I think that's still better than not using the U18. Do those of you who know a lot more about this stuff than I do agree with that? If yes, would I want to use a 1.5 m long cable to avoid "reflections"? As always, thanks in advance

Edit: I just looked closer at the U18 and I'm a bit shocked to see it doesn't have a USB out.
The attached screenshot is from Aoshida. I see there's an asterisk next to the statement. Anyone know if this could be incorrect and one of the other connections supports MQA?
Oh that's right. Only the new ess chips takes in mqa via spdif. I don't think the new ones take in on i2s even due to the nature of the format. I love my ifi diablo and I still needed to buy a zen sig one to enjoy mqa via spdif. It's still relatively new where DACs can take in mqa via spdif. I2S, i haven't checked on that yet.

May 22, 2022 at 7:14 AM Post #726 of 1,989
Yes I’ve a Wireworld Starlight 7 on order for the I2S….. For the USB the best I’ve used is Gothic Audio Semperfi “The Outsider” pure silver….. Noticeably better than the Curious Evolved.
Indeed, very often silver cables sound better.
May I ask what other silver USB cables have you tried apart from the Gothic Outsider and what are your impressions?

May 24, 2022 at 8:30 AM Post #727 of 1,989
Indeed, very often silver cables sound better.
May I ask what other silver USB cables have you tried apart from the Gothic Outsider and what are your impressions?
That’s the only pure silver USB cable I’ve tried. The others have all been coax or I2S cables, also clock cables…. Surprisingly I’ve found for I2S I much prefer Audiolund XTreme…. Tinned copper cables. These should theoretically be appalling for a digital cable but in practice they just add a certain richness and naturalness with improved timbre on human voices.

May 25, 2022 at 5:46 AM Post #729 of 1,989
Matrix X-SPDIF 2, not so good
iFi Micro iUSB ,is waste of money , does not provide ,anything for usb

right now I am, by trying topping d10 balance.
it was a surprise how good the sound is
in relation to gustard u18
topping d10 balance has jitter at 10ps measured on ap-x555
almost as good as Audiophilleo
the best of the whole topping d10 balance costs 130dollars
or 123 euro

Last edited:
May 25, 2022 at 5:51 AM Post #730 of 1,989
Matrix X-SPDIF 2, not so good
iFi Micro iUSB ,is waste of money , does not provide ,anything for usb

right now I am, by trying topping d10 balance.
it was a surprise how good the sound is
in relation to gustard u18
topping d10 balance has jitter at 10ps
almost as good as Audiophilleo
the best of the whole topping d10 balance costs 130dollars
or 123 euro
Thanks for your reply. I’ve watched two reviews from established audio YT channels, and D10s was clearly making sound worse, and iFi was making a very marked improvement. My question was in relation to U18.

May 25, 2022 at 11:19 AM Post #731 of 1,989
and iFi was making a very marked improvement.

That's the consistent feedback we've been getting. Very few people were unhappy with it micro iUSB3.0, but to clarify, the noisier a USB line is, the more that reclocker/regenerator does.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
May 25, 2022 at 11:27 AM Post #732 of 1,989
May 26, 2022 at 12:48 AM Post #735 of 1,989
Moved to a Soundaware D300REF recently.... After about 4 days burn in it's already equaling what I was getting with my LPS powered mini PC, Gustard U18 + Afterdark Emperor Double Crown OCXO clock..... Far more expensive though it turns out worth the extra $. I'll be adding an Afterdark 3 output Emperor Double Crown to the mix in the coming weeks as well which should improve things still further.

But yeah, loved my U18 but the D300REF at about 4x the cost is clearly the better performer..... Likely because the Roon Bridge is built in though I find the USB input to be every bit as good also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back