Gustard U18
Apr 19, 2022 at 2:00 AM Post #691 of 1,995
Again, I didn’t do any Roon endpoints or Tidal and I read it runs solid with Roon…
It officially runs okay on Roon as of today. Lol. But only on AIO mode with usb. Exclusive Roon mode is only spdif

The second unit was getting frozen (reboot needed)
This is common behavior on the factory firmware. A lot have been resolved on later firmware updates. Yea some experience is needed to understand the quirks on the handshaking on the Zen. I initially found it very temperamental but seeing that a friend who is a total noob got it running without crying made me persevere. And yes, I was burning in the zen stream playing files off a flash drive over night but it kept crapping out every few hours and the only solution is a reboot. I haven't done flash drive non stop playing since after the break in process because the SQ of playing local files over my phone streaming to the zen stream via WiFi is more than 2x the SQ jump. I need a long USB chain to have the local flash drive keep up but it still lags in performance.

The only bugs I notice with zen stream USB out is if the chain have two devices with a hub chip. Sometimes it's a sequence of turning on. The u18 should look like a dac when detected by the zen stream. 🤔🤔

I have a ocxo clock that can do 45.1mhz 49.1 mhz so when an ifi diablo version has mqa via spdif come out, I'll spring for a sms500 with 45.1 + 49.1 bnc inputs. 😁😁 Wish I'm crafty enough to desolder the u18 internal Femto clocks and tap 45.1 49.1 too.

Apr 19, 2022 at 3:23 AM Post #692 of 1,995
It officially runs okay on Roon as of today. Lol. But only on AIO mode with usb. Exclusive Roon mode is only spdif

This is common behavior on the factory firmware. A lot have been resolved on later firmware updates. Yea some experience is needed to understand the quirks on the handshaking on the Zen. I initially found it very temperamental but seeing that a friend who is a total noob got it running without crying made me persevere. And yes, I was burning in the zen stream playing files off a flash drive over night but it kept crapping out every few hours and the only solution is a reboot. I haven't done flash drive non stop playing since after the break in process because the SQ of playing local files over my phone streaming to the zen stream via WiFi is more than 2x the SQ jump. I need a long USB chain to have the local flash drive keep up but it still lags in performance.

The only bugs I notice with zen stream USB out is if the chain have two devices with a hub chip. Sometimes it's a sequence of turning on. The u18 should look like a dac when detected by the zen stream. 🤔🤔

I have a ocxo clock that can do 45.1mhz 49.1 mhz so when an ifi diablo version has mqa via spdif come out, I'll spring for a sms500 with 45.1 + 49.1 bnc inputs. 😁😁 Wish I'm crafty enough to desolder the u18 internal Femto clocks and tap 45.1 49.1 too.
Same here. I did a few Linux installs including Real Time Kernel and had 0 problems. But just couldn't figure out "user-friendly" Zen ) Yep the firmware upadate that was #1 thing I did, but still no luck )

Apr 19, 2022 at 3:28 AM Post #693 of 1,995
Same here. I did a few Linux installs including Real Time Kernel and had 0 problems. But just couldn't figure out "user-friendly" Zen ) Yep the firmware upadate that was #1 thing I did, but still no luck )
End of the day, seeing that you rely on local files, the UI of the ZS isn't sexy at all or intuitive enough. I'm testing the aune 8th anniversary streamer and using a 100usd ocxo from AliExpress. The benefit is I don't need to rely on wifi/BT for navigation because it has a remote and this will lower interference. Except my whole chain is down coz I went over .2amps by accident on my psu. 😂

Apr 20, 2022 at 1:09 PM Post #694 of 1,995
I've ordered two more SR Purples for the U18.

I also have a Supra HD5 I2S cable coming, in order to compare with the excellent Blue Jeans FE.

Apr 20, 2022 at 3:02 PM Post #696 of 1,995
I hope you also got the free third fuse that they are offering. If yes and you won't be using it, tell me which one it is in a PM. Maybe I'll buy it from you

No, because my UK supplier gives me a special price :wink:

Apr 21, 2022 at 5:20 AM Post #698 of 1,995
It sounds like nobody has ever had a problem using the 630 ma slow blow fuse with the U18. If that's true, doesn't it make more sense to go that route instead of the 500 ma which would blow easier in a borderline surge? On a separate note I have a topping D90 (AKM version without MQA) that I was planning to sell because I'm not real pleased with it. I'm thinking now if I got a second U18 it might work wonders with that dac. I think I remember some have said the problem with that is it's USB input is flawed. Anyone know for sure?
I am using U18 with Topping D90SE. Some how I didn’t like D90SE on its own because it’s soundstage was much narrower compared to my earlier D90MQA (AKM Version) which I found more musical. But after adding U18 everything changed for good. Now my system is sounding fantastic with much bigger soundstage and musicality. It’s like listening to a different level.
One thing I wanted to know if anyone is using Denafrip Pontus 2 or Ares 2, that is U18 compatible with these two Denafrip DACs via I2S settings.
The sound of D90SE + U18 is extremely good using AES & I2S connections.
I am using Gustard I2S cable which is also very good indeed.

Apr 21, 2022 at 7:05 PM Post #701 of 1,995
I've ordered two more SR Purples for the U18.

I also have a Supra HD5 I2S cable coming, in order to compare with the excellent Blue Jeans FE.
how many and what size and amp fuse do the U18 take? I have a U18 on order. Thanks.

Apr 22, 2022 at 1:16 AM Post #702 of 1,995
The U18 takes one 20mm 630mA slow blow fuse.

In the UK, we have to put one 1" fuse in the plug, too.

Apr 22, 2022 at 9:39 AM Post #703 of 1,995
Apr 22, 2022 at 11:08 PM Post #704 of 1,995
Do I have to install foobar2000 on my computer because I did not get a cd with the U18 and the Gustard download site only has the USB driver

Apr 23, 2022 at 3:43 AM Post #705 of 1,995
Do I have to install foobar2000 on my computer because I did not get a cd with the U18 and the Gustard download site only has the USB driver
USB driver is all you need. Download it to your computer, unpack and you're done. Plug the USB cable into your computer (I guess) and U18, and that's it, you can listen to music from You Tube or if you don't have a dedicated player, install Foobar which is a great free audio player

Users who are viewing this thread

Back