Gustard U18
Mar 27, 2022 at 11:47 AM Post #466 of 1,991
Not sure I completely follow your issue - Rockna DACs do internal 8x oversampling.
So you are saying for 48kHz family - except 384kHz, the DAC takes a long time to lock to the signal via IIS ?

PS: I have had no issues with U-18 feeding IIS to Holo Spring, Gustard X16 and Gustard X18. The DDC firmware is rock solid.
It sounds like some weird PLL issue with Rockna (though not entirely sure). Will be great if you can succinctly explain the nature of the issue. May be a short video or some pictures?
Wrote a couple of email to Gustard customer service and also to Rockna, but no solution, only Rockna support suggested to upgrade the DAC firmware with the last one...nothing changes.

I also tried to replace I2S cable with others, change the parameters in SOtM sMS like buffers size and delays...

Mar 27, 2022 at 2:22 PM Post #467 of 1,991
just curious if U18 is compatible with topping D70s pinout. The below pictures show signal positions. If you can help me out in this manner and say which set-ups of both devices are matching, I would be glad.

U18:
F7153C2C-2EF9-4A76-A291-C63BE9787BEC.jpeg

D70s:

176D0208-22CC-40DF-9753-EA40E9511C5C.jpeg

Mar 27, 2022 at 2:53 PM Post #468 of 1,991
just curious if U18 is compatible with topping D70s pinout. The below pictures show signal positions. If you can help me out in this manner and say which set-ups of both devices are matching, I would be glad.

U18:
F7153C2C-2EF9-4A76-A291-C63BE9787BEC.jpeg

D70s:

176D0208-22CC-40DF-9753-EA40E9511C5C.jpeg
From the pics, Topping default settings for IIS Phase, DSD R and DSD Flag are pin compatible with U18 Gustard setting. Leave both devices on defaults, you should be good.

Mar 29, 2022 at 1:00 PM Post #470 of 1,991
Instead of the ordinary I set Inakustik Referenz netzwerkkabel cat7 .This I started the future configuration to clear the net connection.
I did not expect significant sound changes by installing that cable, but I experienced a shock level of purple fuse.
Fantastic experience (cable)

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2022 at 2:57 PM Post #471 of 1,991
Fuses, LAN cable... affect the sound !?
Many have a reaction that it is a scam, many of them will be aggressive in denying it.
Again, on the other hand, there are users who really don't hear the difference.
To the first, I know the answer, while to the latter I do not.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2022 at 5:39 AM Post #472 of 1,991
My personal findings are that everything affects sound quality. Certainly cables, fuses, grounding boxes, vibration control, power supplies.

Mar 31, 2022 at 1:05 PM Post #473 of 1,991
Of course, until recently, I watched the comments about different LAN cables and their impact with mild disbelief.
I think that well-chosen cables (I mean all types of connections) affect the sound quality more than I invested that money in better components instead of the existing ones, and that I connect all these new components with cheap cables that come with them.
I am sorry that there are so many loud opponents who influence the observers with their logical thinking, and many are stay blinded forever.
This primitivism goes even to the extent that the quality of amplifiers is considered a hoax for profit.
To me, this forum and this thread are a beacon for my future upgrades.
Faith is rewarded
My music is more exciting

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2022 at 1:25 PM Post #474 of 1,991
Of course, until recently, I watched the comments about different LAN cables and their impact with mild disbelief.
I think that well-chosen cables (I mean all types of connections) affect the sound quality more than I invested that money in better components instead of the existing ones, and that I connect all these new components with cheap cables that come with them.
I am sorry that there are so many loud opponents who influence the observers with their logical thinking, and many are stay blinded forever.
This primitivism goes even to the extent that the quality of amplifiers is considered a hoax for profit.
To me, this forum and this thread are a beacon for my future upgrades.
Faith is rewarded
For a few years I used to believe people that made bold statements like "No blind test in history has ever shown a detectable difference between the cheapest cables and the most expensive cables" Then I arranged with a speaker cable manufacturer to send me a set of demos to evaluate. He told me there would be a couple of weeks wait. While waiting I kept reading more opinions on the subject and convinced myself expensive cables were indeed snake oil. So I called the cable builder to tell him to cancel my demos. Before I could make that point he told me they were in the mail to me. To make a long story even longer, after listening I ordered a set from him. First I upgraded speaker cables, then interconnects, USB and power cables. Had I not "accidentally" received those demos I might still be using off the spool wire for my speakers and Amazon cables everywhere else. And yes I even believe in power conditioning. A few times I have responded to the deniers to politely say you either don't have the equipment or the ears required to hear the difference

Mar 31, 2022 at 2:04 PM Post #475 of 1,991
For a few years I used to believe people that made bold statements like "No blind test in history has ever shown a detectable difference between the cheapest cables and the most expensive cables" Then I arranged with a speaker cable manufacturer to send me a set of demos to evaluate. He told me there would be a couple of weeks wait. While waiting I kept reading more opinions on the subject and convinced myself expensive cables were indeed snake oil. So I called the cable builder to tell him to cancel my demos. Before I could make that point he told me they were in the mail to me. To make a long story even longer, after listening I ordered a set from him. First I upgraded speaker cables, then interconnects, USB and power cables. Had I not "accidentally" received those demos I might still be using off the spool wire for my speakers and Amazon cables everywhere else. And yes I even believe in power conditioning. A few times I have responded to the deniers to politely say you either don't have the equipment or the ears required to hear the difference
You were lucky
When components are insufficiently accepted in public opinion, curious audiophiles should buy with the possibility of return. For gamblers, the exciting anticipation is rewarded with greater intensity or the disappointment is greater.
I belong to this last group

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2022 at 2:50 PM Post #477 of 1,991
I have heard the difference power cables can make and tried my first, a Russ Andrews cable made from Kimber, very many years ago. Since then, I have upgraded several times but have now stopped since I have never heard a better one and all my power cables are the same brand.

Mar 31, 2022 at 2:57 PM Post #478 of 1,991
I have heard the difference power cables can make and tried my first, a Russ Andrews cable made from Kimber, very many years ago. Since then, I have upgraded several times but have now stopped since I have never heard a better one and all my power cables are the same brand.
I fully understand your commitment to one cable.
For me, these are the cables for all my headphones - Cardas Clear Light

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2022 at 3:05 PM Post #479 of 1,991
And of course, I also had bad luck with power cords, for example Audioquest Z3, I didn't hear any change. While the Swiss entry-level power cord has brought great fullness and more detail, like my last -Tellurium Q Black

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2022 at 4:08 PM Post #480 of 1,991
For me, it's Coherent 6D. All my power cables, DC cables, interconnects and speaker cables are from the same stable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back