Gustard U18
Feb 21, 2022 at 3:33 PM Post #256 of 1,991
At the end I made a test with fuse on my U18, HiFi Tunning Supreme 3. I didn't espect so much improuvement.

I fully agree with this comment found on analogueseduction.net: =>"Allows much greater clarity without being sharp in the upper frequencies as is the silver gold fuse
occasionally. Has an amazing effect on the soundstage with much greater definition of images and added solidity to the image unlike again the the silver gold fuse which often sounds much thinner and sharper in comparison. I'm using them with high-end Rega products and have found them to be very beneficial indeed reducing noise is also another benefit, they are an incredibly clever product indeed and worth at least experimenting with on your equipment if you require greater clarity more defined and broader soundstage and excellence in all areas to be quite honest highly recommended."...

A tested other similar but Superme 3... wow.
I have a HiFi Tuning Supreme 3 in Pegasus, and it has improved the sound, but it will be replaced by purple, because the change that purple brings, simply shocks you.
Warm extended sound stage, massive sound, that's what strikes you first
The secondary effect is that you can't stop listening to your music

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2022 at 4:06 PM Post #257 of 1,991
Initially, my new AES cable with its brightness nullified the massiveness that purple brought in, but as time passes, the mass returns, and the shine gradually turns into transparency, bringing more and more details and better sound dissipation .
I am excited about the upcoming insertion of the outer clock

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2022 at 9:10 PM Post #261 of 1,991
This is so ignorant. It's not lossy in any way that matters. Stop having a panic over the l-word. It isn't MP3.

Maybe not though Qobuz sounds noticeably better to me, so I’ll continue to ignorantly listen to that and pocket the difference vs the Tidal subscription.

Beyond that, recent findings are that MQA consistently adds distortion to the file. Some people may prefer it though I do not. It is not in any way lossless. FLAC from Qobuz is in fact lossless so I’ll stick with that thanks. It seems to me that you’re arguing from a position of ignorance. Either way it’s off topic. Please start another thread if you wish to discuss

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2022 at 2:06 AM Post #262 of 1,991
Considering the U18 as an upgrade from the Singxer SU-6. Any latency issues for gaming that I should be aware of with this DDC? Also... I use an older DAC that won't be able to take advantage of the IIS connection, so I'm wondering if it would be worthwhile since I'm only planning on using the coaxial connection.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2022 at 4:01 AM Post #263 of 1,991
Maybe not though Qobuz sounds noticeably better to me, so I’ll continue to ignorantly listen to that and pocket the difference vs the Tidal subscription.

Beyond that, recent findings are that MQA consistently adds distortion to the file. Some people may prefer it though I do not. It is not in any way lossless. FLAC from Qobuz is in fact lossless so I’ll stick with that thanks. It seems to me that you’re arguing from a position of ignorance. Either way it’s off topic. Please start another thread if you wish to discuss
MQA is actually lower distortion. Which makes the noiser component in the chain stand out and why it can sound worse sometimes over Hi-Res. Hi-Res sounds better on my lower quality signal chains vs MQA, but MQA is way ahead over Hi-Res on my better transport chain.

What's more concerning and more audible is that Qobuz actually streams louder than Tidal. And as we know, the louder one will seemingly sound better.

Feb 26, 2022 at 4:20 AM Post #265 of 1,991
Nough said:

Part 2:

Screenshot_20220226-171510.jpg

Been debunked, and biased. He's also the founder and admin of Holo audio owners in FB groups.😉 The whole platform is just measuring competitor DACs and showing how seemingly bad it is but hasn't even posted the May DAC measurements. Then ironically posts that you can't trust measurements.

Screenshot_20220226-171913.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/groups/666904327315858/?ref=share

Meanwhile, Qobuz has been streaming 4dB louder than Tidal. Top statistics is Qobuz. Lower is Tidal.

Screenshot_20220226-172246.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2022 at 4:43 AM Post #269 of 1,991
Two things:

1. I've always had issues with MQA quality when played back on Roon. And it may be due to reason #2.

2. Roon isn't that transparent. It's been an issue. I personally use bubbleupnp (for mqa dacs)and mconnect (for non-mqa dacs) to the Zen Stream. Others have used Euphony and others have even used the humble Squeezelite and found it having better SQ.

Screenshot_20220225-135637.jpg

Even with an hdplex + lps 1.2 feeding an Xspdif2, it wasn't enough to fix the issue. My shortlist is down to this u18 vs ifi zen one sig once I'm done breaking in some components.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back