Gustard U18
Jan 29, 2022 at 10:26 AM Post #197 of 1,991
That’s what I remember you saying, which is why I’m a bit thrown by their suggestion of plan 3.

Plan 2 it is then.
Hello everyone
And I need to configure U18 and Pegasus, you are a scout, while I wait for the cable, which by the way I have not even chosen.
@ rettib2001-your experience will be of great help to me

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2022 at 1:32 PM Post #199 of 1,991
@Matthew Willims Any issues with the SR Purple Fuse? I've come across a few posts where users who had their SR Fuses blown and that some of the recommendations were to purchase fuse above the actual rating for the SR Fuses.

Have you had any issues with your SR Purple Fuse at all?

Just purchased the Gustard U18 with the Gustard Fuse. I am interested in trying out the SR Purple Fuse.

Thanks!

Edited: Reread some of the posts and the fuses used were SR Orange Fuses.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2022 at 3:00 PM Post #201 of 1,991
I’m just about to order an avplay hdmi i2s cable which will go between the U18 and a Musician Pegasus.

I thought I knew which ‘Plan’ to choose but now I’m not sure, given the 7 phase options the Pegasus has and the the 4 modes of the U18.

The U18 is set to mode 4 which seems to correspond to the pin layout of the Pegasus.

For those of you using this cable with a Musician DAC which cable version did you buy? The seller suggested ‘plan 3’.

Cheers
Mode 4 on U18 it's the Holo pinout? Correct?

Jan 29, 2022 at 5:44 PM Post #202 of 1,991
@Matthew Willims Any issues with the SR Purple Fuse? I've come across a few posts where users who had their SR Fuses blown and that some of the recommendations were to purchase fuse above the actual rating for the SR Fuses.

Have you had any issues with your SR Purple Fuse at all?

Just purchased the Gustard U18 with the Gustard Fuse. I am interested in trying out the SR Purple Fuse.

Thanks!

Edited: Reread some of the posts and the fuses used were SR Orange Fuses.

No issues at all no. I simply replaced the original with same value Purple. I’ve one in the Gustard U18, another in my Musician Aquarius DAC and another in in my Pass Aleph Mini power amp. I may get yet another for my Tortuga LDR300x V3 Active pre yet.

Regards

Matt

Jan 29, 2022 at 10:39 PM Post #203 of 1,991
I’m using a 500ma SR Purple in the U18. The same value as the original fuse it came with. I initially liked the Gustard fuse but over a month or so found there was just something I didn’t like about it. It seemed to boost bass but diminish both treble and mids. Significantly less coherent than the Purple. The main thing that was annoying me was how the Gustard fuse seemed to diminish or recess the midrange. That was unforgivable for me.

I’m running setting 2 on the U18 and just cycled through settings on the Aquarius till it worked distortion free, and left/right channels not mixed up. The setting is different for different cables. I bought the custom AVPlay HD300 “Plan 2” pure silver I2S cable. It sounded appalling initially but improved significantly with use.
Your observation of the Gustard Fuse on bass boost mirrors mine. Im not sure if I notice anything with the mids and highs yet but I have only spent about 30 minutes with it.

Jan 30, 2022 at 2:53 AM Post #204 of 1,991
Hello everyone
And I need to configure U18 and Pegasus, you are a scout, while I wait for the cable, which by the way I have not even chosen.
@ rettib2001-your experience will be of great help to me
The good news is that the two work together automatically with just a standard hdmi cable.

You can select the ‘mode’ on the U18 which does effect the sound and you have to check speaker phase.

When you look at the the ‘mode’ diagram for the pin out of the U18 and compare it to the one on the Musician site for the Pegasus, the mode that matches is mode 4… from what I can work out anyway.

Jan 30, 2022 at 4:00 AM Post #205 of 1,991
The good news is that the two work together automatically with just a standard hdmi cable.

You can select the ‘mode’ on the U18 which does effect the sound and you have to check speaker phase.

When you look at the the ‘mode’ diagram for the pin out of the U18 and compare it to the one on the Musician site for the Pegasus, the mode that matches is mode 4… from what I can work out anyway.
Thanks, I can now go into configuration more freely. What is still uncertain is whether my Pegas has the correct I2s, since it is from the first series and many complained. If it doesn't work, I think AES is a tolerable alternative, but also more expensive, so as to compensate for the poorer type of connection.
I am currently looking for a quality and not too expensive power cable, which in addition to fuses becomes an indispensable inventory of every quality hi-fi component

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2022 at 1:43 PM Post #206 of 1,991

Now I'm really confused. If, as you claim, "The good news is that the two work together automatically with just a standard hdmi cable", why do you need Plan 2?
I am completely uneducated about HDMI

Jan 30, 2022 at 3:45 PM Post #207 of 1,991
Now I'm really confused. If, as you claim, "The good news is that the two work together automatically with just a standard hdmi cable", why do you need Plan 2?
I am completely uneducated about HDMI
It’s a dedicated I2S cable which can be used for I2S only. It is not HDMI. It should sound better than using a standard HDMI cable. Not to mention the AVPlay HDMI cable costs more due to more silver strands of wire used.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2022 at 11:14 PM Post #208 of 1,991
It’s a dedicated I2S cable which can be used for I2S only. It is not HDMI. It should sound better than using a standard HDMI cable. Not to mention the AVPlay HDMI cable costs more due to more silver strands of wire used.
Thanks for the lighting
Are the Purple Fuses you mention the $ 200 ones?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back