Gustard U18
Dec 25, 2021 at 3:47 AM Post #106 of 1,991
The U18 is a brilliant piece for the money as it comes, I agree on that but in my very resolving rig, I can add that the U18 really shines with a great master clock connected. This points out that the K2 clock synthesizer clearly benefits and can work very well with a high end EXT XO w. extreme low phase noise and jitter. The guys at Gustard have succeeded with this interface. No doubt./J
The benefits of a great external master clock is plainly audible in my system also. It’s not a small difference either.

Dec 28, 2021 at 6:51 AM Post #111 of 1,991
@Matthew Willims
I went by Your USB cable advice and ordered a "Semperfi The Outsider Pure Silver USB Cable". It came in the mail today. I have already put it to work. It will be very interesting to see where this goes.. Another thing. Yesterday I added a "silver fuse" and it made a softer and fuller sound. A bit bleeding bass at first but much better already.
/Jan

Dec 28, 2021 at 6:55 AM Post #112 of 1,991
@Matthew Willims
I went by Your USB cable advice and ordered a "Semperfi The Outsider Pure Silver USB Cable". It came in the mail today. I have already put it to work. It will be very interesting to see where this goes.. Another thing. Yesterday I added a "silver fuse" and it made a softer and fuller sound. A bit bleeding bass at first but much better already.
/Jan

Do keep me up to date with how this works out. A very nice improvement in my system though many will say neither can make a difference. I’d rather try and find out for myself though. :)

Dec 28, 2021 at 7:48 AM Post #113 of 1,991
Why do they call Nichicon Fine Gold caps ”Gold June”?

1640695726693.jpeg

Dec 29, 2021 at 8:37 AM Post #116 of 1,991
No. Sorry. You can easily spot the direction by removing the fuse and holder. Connect the power cable, push power on and locate the "incoming" side of the fuse clamps. A phase indicator pen or a multimeter will work fine.

Dec 30, 2021 at 8:38 PM Post #117 of 1,991
to squeeze, the last drops out, of gustard u18
I have with a defender and ifipower x.
disconnected the power from the laptop, used the idefender power from there as well as ifipower
they will say come down to 1uv, very clean current
uses Supra Excalibur USB, very neutral usb, especially high
isolator 200 mbps, takes the rest of the jitter from the laptop
Accusilicon as338clock, enters image
presses jitter down 175db
second measurement 145ps is very good
thd + n 146 db
all in all gives crystal clear sound, as well as 3d, compared to gustard a22 usbcard there is a lot of difference, gustard u18 sound comes out
it gives my studio monitor, the neumann 310a which, reveals everything in the sound

Dec 30, 2021 at 10:16 PM Post #119 of 1,991
Installed my U18 this afternoon. A big step backwards than the Musician Aquarius built in USB implementation initially though I know that will change over the next few weeks. About 3 weeks for it to get to its best. I popped in a Gustard 630ma fuse I had on hand and have ordered a pair of 500ma single crystal silver fuses for it as that's what it really should have in it.
What were the 500ma single crystal silver fuses? I see three types from Aucharm on Aliexpress. The U18 needs two?

One of these?
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/400...9;-1;USD+2.95@salePrice;USD;search-mainSearch

Dec 30, 2021 at 11:22 PM Post #120 of 1,991
@zima500 Only one needed but there’s space for a spare. Interestingly I’ve found the Gustard branded fuses sound far better in the U18. The ones with a gold contract at one end and a silver at the other. Seeing how sensitive the U18 seems to be to fuse quality I’ve ordered a Synergistic Research Purple fuse for it instead.

I run a Musical Paradise 3500W MP-T1 Balanced Isolation transformer for everything in my system with a custom power cable from the wall to the BIT, and the fake Accuphase 40th Anniversary power cables from that to all of the main components in my system. Non critical components are connected to a power board which is on one of the non balanced outlets. Makes a real improvement in my system. :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back