Gustard U18
Feb 2, 2023 at 9:18 PM Post #1,531 of 1,992
I wondered if that is clock dependent. For C18, I found I like the square wave more than the sine wave. Sine wave is a bit smoother, but square wave has more resolution and soundstage width and depth. Also you mentioned you like C2 out of 4 cables you tried, did you try the Cybershaft Blue as well?
Not tried the Cybershaft. Other than the C2 I have an LMR400, a MiniCircuits 50ohm low return loss semi rigid cable (looks v similar to the Cybershaft), a generic pro audio/video 50 ohm and a hifi digital coax labelled 75 ohm. All have 50 ohm style plugs with the prominent central dialectic. I realise though I still need to run both the LMR400 and the MiniCircuits in properly.

Feb 3, 2023 at 10:31 AM Post #1,532 of 1,992
My personal experience with U18 connected to C18 is that it needs a reboot every now and then. The sound after reboot is better. I leave it on 24/7, but I reboot it every time I start a listening session.
I leave my OCK-1 on 24/7 but not the U. What's mind blowing is that this dropping of the right channel happened again a couple nights ago at the same point in the same the same Sade song(Paradise) cranked up. If I play it at lower volumes the channel doesn't drop. How freak'in bizarre is that?!?! What is odd too is this never happened before the OCK-1 clocked the U. Quite puzzling.

Feb 3, 2023 at 2:48 PM Post #1,533 of 1,992
My personal experience with U18 connected to C18 is that it needs a reboot every now and then. The sound after reboot is better. I leave it on 24/7, but I reboot it every time I start a listening session.
I started doing the same thing recently. I do it with all three of my C18/U18/A22. I turn all three off and in the same order I turn all three back on. And of course I leave everything I have powered on 24/7. In fact about a week ago we had about a 2 second dropout of our electrical power. I didn't know but my power amp went into standby mode. About a day or two later was the first time I listened after powering it back up. My system sounded like crap for the first hour or so. So in my case even standby doesn't keep me where I want to be sound wise

Feb 3, 2023 at 3:49 PM Post #1,534 of 1,992
I never switch my clocks off and rarely reboot the kit. Only the power amp goes off every evening after listening.

Feb 3, 2023 at 3:53 PM Post #1,536 of 1,992
I believe I read on this forum that a clock needs about a month to get to full performance. Wouldn't turning the unit off and on always reset that timeframe?
I'd love to have a definitive answer on that. My understanding is it needs to get to a certain temperature internally. So a 30-second shut off and turn on shouldn't affect that, but I admit it has crossed my mind

Feb 3, 2023 at 3:59 PM Post #1,537 of 1,992
I never switch my clocks off and rarely reboot the kit. Only the power amp goes off every evening after listening.
Obviously Martin this works for you or you wouldn't do it. The power amp to me is the opposite. I stay powered on and try to start playing music at moderate volume about a half hour or so before I'm getting ready to listen. I recently bought some pre-owned speakers that had been boxed up for a couple of months, and it seemed to me they took a couple of days before the bass tightened up. Maybe placebo or maybe the capacitors or other internal components needed to hit their optimum condition

Feb 3, 2023 at 4:05 PM Post #1,538 of 1,992
I believe I read on this forum that a clock needs about a month to get to full performance. Wouldn't turning the unit off and on always reset that timeframe?
A brand new clock needs about a month to burn-in, true.

As for powering it up from stone cold (like when I return from holiday), I would say it takes a good 24-48 hours to achieve its best performance. It's not just about the OCXO reaching temperature, but the settling time after that. This is why I keep my clocks warm all the time.

Feb 3, 2023 at 4:08 PM Post #1,539 of 1,992
A brand new clock needs about a month to burn-in, true.

As for powering it up from stone cold (like when I return from holiday), I would say it takes a good 24-48 hours to achieve its best performance. It's not just about the OCXO reaching temperature, but the settling time after that. This is why I keep my clocks warm all the time.
I find this to be true even for my OCK-1, takes 24-48 hours for the system to sound like as it should.

Feb 3, 2023 at 4:09 PM Post #1,540 of 1,992
The power amp to me is the opposite.

I see how it can vary, especially if the amp is valve (tube). In my case, the class AB Belles is ready to rock as little as 5 minutes after power up and only ever gets tepid in use. If I seriously give it the beans and get the walls shaking (easily done with my Ushers), it rises from tepid to warm!

Feb 3, 2023 at 4:43 PM Post #1,542 of 1,992
Ironically, I just received my OCK-2 right now by UPS. I'm in Montreal, and if you haven't heard, its -40F (-40C) presently. The unit is too cold to even touch. I'll wait until tomorrow until powering it up !
I agree, always wait. I worked for a company that had the misfortune of plugging in a CRT computer monitor that had been in a vehicle all night in bitter cold metro Detroit. Back when they were over $2,000. We heard an audible snap sound when powered on and that as they say, was that

Feb 4, 2023 at 2:33 AM Post #1,545 of 1,992
Absolutely - it's ALL about the music :slight_smile:

52602082966_b3a04d600f_o.jpg
Are those LP weight stabilizers resting on top of your components? If so, can you point me in the direction of where you picked them up?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back